PDA

View Full Version : Lucky break for W????

eg8r
03-09-2006, 01:02 PM
It appears DPW is backing away from the port deal. Is it a lucky break for W? Now he does not have to try and figure out a way to defend his horrible decision to allow it to take place from the beginning? From CNN website.... [ QUOTE ]
A Dubai-owned company has agreed to turn over all its operations at U.S. ports to an American entity, Sen. John Warner said today. Reading a statement from DP World on the Senate floor, Warner said the company wants to preserve the strong relationship between Dubai and the United States. The announcement came soon after congressional leaders reportedly told President Bush that the DP World deal appeared dead on Capitol Hill.
<hr /></blockquote> Does this get the monkey off Bush's back (for now)? Here is the rest of the story (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/09/port.security/index.html). I think DPW is saving W's butt in backing down. Congress was not going to even allow W to veto their bill against it, so basically by backing out DPW has allowed W to save face.

For all the conspiracy theorists out there, why do you think DPW backed away? Any chance it is because of the reasons given on the hill today? I really have no idea but I think W might have just gotten a lucky break.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
03-11-2006, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
think DPW is saving W's butt in backing down. Congress was not going to even allow W to veto their bill against it, so basically by backing out DPW has allowed W to save face.

For all the conspiracy theorists out there, why do you think DPW backed away? Any chance it is because of the reasons given on the hill today? I really have no idea but I think W might have just gotten a lucky break.

eg8r

<hr /></blockquote>

Just a guess here, but I think it may very well be the other way around. The Emirates probably got the courtesy call from the WH saying, "Look guys, this isn't going to happen," which gave them the opportunity to quit before getting fired.

Probably 'saving face' is a big deal with the Emirates. It looks a lot better for them to say they walked away from the deal rather than have to face being voted out.

I think everyone will spin it that W got lucky because that's how it looks.

Fran

eg8r
03-13-2006, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably 'saving face' is a big deal with the Emirates. It looks a lot better for them to say they walked away from the deal rather than have to face being voted out.
<hr /></blockquote> Still doesn't change the fact that W just missed a close call. He was doing everything he could to get the deal through, but Republicans and Dems alike all said no. That would not have looked good for W and he escaped it all with a lot of help from the UAE.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
03-13-2006, 01:05 PM
I disagree. I don't think the UAE's objective was in helping W. I think that was a by-product of their action. I think they were looking out for themselves.

Fran