PDA

View Full Version : Don't be so hard on yourself

Duckie
03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
This is something I've been working on with myself. It seemed that I was focusing more on how badly I was shooting and not being totally aware of how good I can shoot.

So, I have started trying to keep a balance of the good and bad shooting. When I shoot good, I try to give myself atta boys. To accept and reckonize the fact that my good shooting was not a fluke, not something that just comes and goes but something that came from within me when I needed and wanted it.

If you are shooting good, don't make up reasons why you are, but realize you are shooting good because that is how you wanted to shoot.

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Funny you post this. I was thinking the other day after a friend complimented me by saying, "People under estimate your abilities", in reference to some cash winning via a spot advantage. I got to thinking...do I, myself, underestimate my own abilities and miss due to the lack of believing? I conceptionalized and changed my mental thinking last night during the heat of one or two games, and darn if there wasn't a lot of difference. Jm2c...sid

Billy_Bob
03-10-2006, 06:10 AM
A positive way of saying "Don't be so hard on yourself" might be "Look for and find the good in yourself".

Positive thinking is good. "The power of positive thinking.", "The train that could - I think I can, I think I can, I know I can.", etc.

There is a book for supervisors and managers called the One Minute Manager. This book says to sneak around work and "catch" your employees doing something good. Then reward them or say good work, etc. (Instead of sneaking around and looking for bad things.)

Needless to say, most of us would prefer a boss who would see us doing a good job and compliment us for it. (Instead of a boss who only notices bad things.)

And we can do this to ourselves. Catch ourselves doing something good. Then reward ourselves.

I may play a match and shoot one particular shot I have been working on and do this shot quite well. I will be pleased with myself for doing so good with this one shot. I may lose the match, but I am still happy with myself for doing good with that one shot.

This is not to say to ignore things you need to work on. I do this too. Then I will work on these things (sometimes for a year or more), then reward myself when I get good at the shot or whatever.

And then if I shoot a lot of good shots *and* get in the money, them more reward. If 1st place, BIG reward. Treat yourself to a steak dinner, candy bar, ice cream, or whatever. Do something special for yourself.

Duckie
03-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I was watching two very good players the other day and for whatever reason, they were just off. One got so fustrated that he gave up a money straight pool game and then continued to play badly in the 9 money games and this all carried over to the straight pool league that night. Once he got down on how he was shooting, he never came back.

The other got so upset, he threw his cue on the floor, and once again, he didn't get any better as the night got on.

On different days, both these people are very, very good.

Thats when a little light bulb went off in my head and this idea hit me. Sure I make bad shots, but I also make alot more good than bad. Just realizing this was a confidence booster. Later that night, in the straight pool league, I made a very clear choice to attack the table everytime I could. If I miss, so what, I make more than I miss.

Being a handicapp league, and I'm not very good,(yet), the game was 45 to 100, me being the 45. Well, when I reached 45, my opponent was only at 54. That was quite a surprise to me as well as him.

I played the best straight pool yet and I truly believe it came from my attitude more than my skill. It was my first ever straight pool win and was very sweet.

Now, the trick is to keep the momentum and not get too cocky, cause even tho I have improved, there is still alot I need to practice and learn.

Billy_Bob
03-11-2006, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr> ...It was my first ever straight pool win and was very sweet... <hr /></blockquote>

Good job! You're a winner! Be sure to reward yourself.