PDA

View Full Version : Autographed Cue Balls

jjinfla
02-22-2002, 10:22 AM
I have a few autographed cue balls and just have them in baggies. Is it recommended to spray them with a sealer of some type? Jake

TomBrooklyn
02-23-2002, 05:11 AM
What is the best kind of marker to use to autograph a cueball? A Sharpie maybe?

02-23-2002, 10:01 AM
What difference does it make-it isnt like there is any value to them.

02-23-2002, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Railtester:</font><hr> What difference does it make-it isnt like there is any value to them. <hr></blockquote>

I have a a dozen cue ball with Efren Reyes' signature on them...now you tell me is there any value to it?

02-23-2002, 11:18 AM
First all I would not spray any "sealer" on them because it may cause the name to "run". Just keep them put up so they can be seen and not touched.

TomBrooklyn
02-23-2002, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I have a a dozen cue ball with Efren Reyes' signature on them...now you tell me is there any value to it? <hr></blockquote>

I want to collect some signed cue balls to display for my own enjoyment, not to make money on them. But just out of curiosity, how much do you think someone would pay for a cue ball signed by Efren? How about a cueball signed by a retired or deceased former player?

Of course, the issue of authenticity is a related issue. Forgeries are rampant in the major sports autographed memorabilia market.

jjinfla
02-23-2002, 06:10 PM
Mike Sigel told me his signed cue balls go for $50.00 on Ebay and he gets $30.00 to sign one. I regret I didn't offer him $20, and probably should have just given him the $30. I am not collecting them as an investment but just for the sheer pleasure they give me when I look at them. Ray Martin is another BCA HOF'er that gets $30 for a signed ball. Actually I don't blame them. And by being selective on how many they sign it makes them more attractive to the collectors out there, and raises their value. I wonder if Nick Varner charges to sign them? Anybody know the cheapest place to buy cue balls? Less then $8 each? Jake

02-25-2002, 10:10 AM
You can try www.billiardfanatic.com (http://www.billiardfanatic.com), which sells them for $5.00 ea.

By the way, I have one extra Cue ball signed by "the Deacon", seven-time world champion and Hall of Famer, Irving Crane. Proof of signature is from the return box, which has his Rochester address on it and a note that his wife, Althea wrote on my request letter. I was thinking of putting it on ebay but if you're interested ....

jjinfla
02-26-2002, 07:40 AM
I finally looked in my mueller catalog <a target="_blank" href=http://www.poolndarts.com>www.poolndarts.com</a> and found cue balls for $2.75. A mosconi ball on ebay was at $31 and a Miz for $30. e-mail me what you are asking for the Deacon's ball. Jake

CarolNYC
02-28-2002, 04:28 AM
When I went to my 1st superbilliard 99", I brought one of those Highshool autograph dolls-a long dachsund-I have EVERY pro players autograph on it-men&amp;woman-and I keep it in plastic-just a suggestion!
Carol

dave
02-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Mike Sigel came through my area a couple of years ago. I got to play an exhibition match against him and afterwards he signed a cue ball for me and didn't charge a thing.

Vince S.
03-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Jake
I have a couple of signed cueballs that I keep encased in the same type of displayer that is used for showing collectable baseballs. They are round plastic balls on a wooden pedistal and can be gotten at any sports collectable store.You just twist it open, put the ball inside and twist it shut. These have worked great for me.

Vince S.

TomBrooklyn
03-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Anybody from NY or thats going to Valley Forge want a whole set of Cue King (tm) brand new regulation pool balls for autographing (or whatever) purposes? http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=31-380

It would cost you $53.00 to buy one set with shipping. If a few people want to go in on it, with a quantity discount, we can get them for $35.00 per set including shipping to one central location. We'd have to hook up, as I don't really want to get involved in reshipping sets of pool balls.

SPetty
03-07-2002, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Anybody from NY or thats going to Valley Forge want a whole set of Cue King (tm) brand new regulation pool balls for autographing (or whatever) purposes? <a target="_blank" href=http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=31-380>http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=31-380</a>

It would cost you $53.00 to buy one set with shipping. If a few people want to go in on it, with a quantity discount, we can get them for $35.00 per set including shipping to one central location. We'd have to hook up, as I don't really want to get involved in reshipping sets of pool balls. <hr></blockquote>

Just an interesting side note if you're thinking of getting these for autographs... For about the price of one set of balls, you can get 14-15 cue balls: http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=31-450

(BTW - For the set of balls you linked to, it would cost me $48.85, not $53...)

03-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Black Sharpie is the autograph pen of choice. Buy a couple just in case. They're only about a buck apiece. I wish I would have taken a set of balls to VF when I went. I could have gotten every player's autograph except for probably Vivian, J. Chen, and Karen Corr. The others were all very nice. Belinda Campos even loaned me her ashtray. I thought that was cool.

Q-guy
03-07-2002, 02:36 PM
A few of the players who's autographs you may want, charge for them, or say they have a deal with a supply company to sign balls exclusively for them and won't do it at all. I have seen that more then once. Some resent it if they think it will end up on ebay a week later.

Q-guy
03-07-2002, 02:48 PM
A cue makes a nice thing to get autographed. Dull down the finish with some 0000 steelwool. After getting it covered with autographs spray a coat of shellac on and then spray a new finish on it. I have done several of these and the end result can be beautiful. Plus you can use the cue.

JimS
03-07-2002, 05:12 PM
I have what may prove to be an unpopular suggestion: Leave the pros alone except to thank them for the entertainment they provided and to let them know how much their work and dedication means to you.

Why try to get something from them free and waste their time and energy.

Regards, JimS

jjinfla
03-08-2002, 09:17 AM
You are right again Jim - your idea is unpopular. I'll bet it is even upopular with the pros. Most of them feel honored to be placed in such esteem that someone would want their autograph. Autographing is one of the hallmarks of being recognized as part of the elite. Sure, some have been able to market their autograph and sell it. I see nothing wrong with that. Ever been to a baseball card show and watch the kids line up with tens and twenties in their hands to get an autograph of their favorite player? It's all part of the "show". Jake

jjinfla
03-08-2002, 09:29 AM
Vince, Someone else told me that too but I keep forgetting to stop in a baseball shop to pick some up. There are not too many around here. I have mine on a shelf above this computer and I use a cap from a gallon of milk to hold the ball. Vivian, Ewa, Jeniffer &amp; Belinda were all gracious to sign a ball for me. Jake~~~has no intention of selling any. Money is gone once you spend it. Memories last a lifetime.

JimS
03-08-2002, 10:28 AM
You might be right Jake...I don't know. It just seems to me that asking for autographs implies that they owe ME and I think I owe THEM. I can sure see that I'd be real pleased the first few times someone asked for my autograph (alas...I'll never know!) but after the fist 10,000 or so I would think it would be pretty tiring and become a pain in the posterior.

Regards, JimS ~ wouldn't it be nice to have bucks enough to offer Nick or Buddy or Grady or ? $5k or $50k!(!) to have their picture taken with you?

Q-guy
03-08-2002, 02:03 PM
To be honest, I doubt outside of the small subculture of the pool world there is any chance anyone is ever going to ask them for an autograph. Even the most famous players who's names some small percentage of the public may recognize, would never be recognized by face and that would even include Steve Mizerak and the late Mosconi. With the egos some of these players have, far beyond any of there real importance, they should be tickled to death to have someone ask for an autograph. Tournaments and trade shows give them brief chance to play big shot and some of them really jump on it, if you know what I mean.

Vince S.
03-08-2002, 06:07 PM
I agree 100% Q-Guy. outside of the Pool world, these talented folks aren't signing their autograph to much more than hotel or dinner receipts. I would hope that they would be honored to sign an autograph as long as the fan isn't demanding it. Personaly, I wouldn't hessitate to approach a pro at a billiard event. But I also wouldn't think of bothering them at a restaurant. Like the old saying goes, There's a time and a place for everything. There's always been a price for fame. Whether your a Sports figure, Entertainer, Politition, or what have you. And (unfortunately at times) part of that price happens to include autographs, whether it's for free or a fee.

Vince S.

CarolNYC
03-10-2002, 03:40 AM
Hi Jim,
Good suggestion, but let me just add, most pros are more than happy to sign an autgraph AS LONG AS IT IS NOT DURING PLAY!
Carol~had little girl ask me to sign her cue-got every other woman pro to sign it also-she was in her glory! Its nice to make people happy!

jjinfla
03-10-2002, 12:11 PM
Jim, It's a mutual admiration society. They enjoy being admired for their skill and we enjoy admiring them for their skill. Head down to Tampa when Buddy is playing in a tournament. He is right there mingling with the fans. And always displays his trademark smile. Appears to be a very outgoing, friendly person. But I don't think I would go up to a player as he/she was in the middle of a shot and say, "hey bud, can I have your autograph"? Of course, that may be a way to get his cue. That is, if the doc could remove it from my head. Jake