PDA

View Full Version : Yankee or Dixie?

SnakebyteXX
03-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Check on your dialect and see if you might have crossed over to the "other side"! Simply click on the correct answer. As you go, the quiz will automatically interpret each answer to show you what your answer implies about you. When you are done, press Compute My Score. Your score will be calculated as a percentage: 0% is pure Yankee and 100% is pure Dixie.

* Do not change your answer during the test as it will ruin the score. You may do this after scoring is calculated to see the other answers.
* If you make a mistake, hit Clear below to restart the test!
* I regret that I do not have time to entertain discussions about this test or negotiate changes. It is provided strictly as-is and for entertainment purposes only.
* Be aware that television entertainment has a lot of northern dialect in it. This will have more of an influence on you than you expect.
* This test is based on results from the Harvard Computer Society Dialect Survey of 30788 respondents.

Me? 53% Dixie (Must be my Missourah heritage shining through)

Yankee or Dixie? (http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html)

Deeman3
03-10-2006, 07:06 AM
92% Dixie

Deeman

pooltchr
03-10-2006, 08:47 AM
100% Dixie...General Lee was my father!
(Strange, since I was actually born in upstate New York)
Steve

SpiderMan
03-10-2006, 08:59 AM
92% Dixie

Deeman3
03-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Makes sense as we both came for the same place in Memphis!

Deeman

eg8r
03-10-2006, 11:23 AM
70% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

eg8r

catscradle
03-10-2006, 11:43 AM
52% Dixie which is way-way off. I'm a diehard Yankee. For instance, there was no option for the way I say aunt, the "jam" in "pajamas", or the way I would address a bunch of people (actually I wouldn't address a bunch of people) and I never heard of that bug in the last question so I had to just pick one. I think the originator of this didn't know the difference between a proper Bostonian, us regular old poor yankees (sometimes called swamp yankees), and urbanites who arrived in the last few generations.

On a side note, in the service I new a guy who's hobby was dialects he could put you pretty damn close to your home after listening a little while. He might have a harder time now as I think accents are becoming more homogenous.

Drop1
03-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Sixty one percent Dixie. See you get twice as many genes from your Grand Parents. Mine came from and were born in Texas,Virgina,Oaklahoma,and Kansas. Love being Southern /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
03-10-2006, 02:12 PM
66 Dixie... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-10-2006, 02:19 PM
51% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

DG - yankee all the way!

SpiderMan
03-10-2006, 02:31 PM
But that's the score so far. Guess we did teach them carpetbaggin' bastards SOMETHING.

Spiderman

Fran Crimi
03-10-2006, 02:47 PM
40% (Yankee,) FYI, all youse Dixie people.

Fran

Deeman3
03-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Fran,

I don't know if your know this but Spiderman and I are noth authorized to bestow "Redneck" status to anyone we deem so worthy. You will given a pass anything you are in Dixie......Spiderman is in the Hall of Fame. "Watch this Bubba!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deeman

sack316
03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
81% Dixie... actually thought I'd be higher than that seeing as how the northernmost place I've lived is my current residence in Prattville, AL. Darn fancy booklearnin' and such.

Sack

Fran Crimi
03-10-2006, 04:49 PM
LOL! Thanks Deeman, but I'm afraid I'm doomed to a life of Yankeedom. You'd have to shackle and torture me to get me to pronounce 'tournament'--- 'terrnament'.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

monkeychef
03-10-2006, 04:50 PM
56% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Pretty much in the middle. Grew up in South Florida, a place that doesn't seem to fit in any other category as far as accents and culture go.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-11-2006, 11:10 AM
91% (Dixie)

Right... born in Indiana, lived in Mass. moved to Memphis lived in Tupelo Miss for a year, then back the Memphis and then to Cincinnati and now California...

The South has had a major influence on my life, manners and values that I think made me a better person.

Drop1
03-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Start putting Southern Comfort on your dry cereal,that will counter act the Southern California worm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman3
03-11-2006, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> 91% (Dixie)

Right... born in Indiana, lived in Mass. moved to Memphis lived in Tupelo Miss for a year, then back the Memphis and then to Cincinnati and now California...

The South has had a major influence on my life, manners and values that I think made me a better person. <hr /></blockquote>

Virgil Cane is my name and I came on the Danville Train....Yep, The south does make better people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifThat Memphis time had to help but Tupelo?

Tom, an official southerner forever...not matter where he lives.....

Deeman
Let's see, Memphis was Deeman, Spiderman, Tom, Chopstick...how can you go wrong?