PDA

View Full Version : Pockets pool hall in Shreveport (Guys & Dolls)

reggie182
03-10-2006, 11:19 PM
About fifteen years ago I remember spending a great portion of my days and nights at a place called Pockets (originally known as Guys and Dolls) in Shreveport, LA as a full time pool bum. The place was downtown in the basement of an office building, and was open 365 - 24 (supposedly the manager didn't have a key to the front door when the place was finally shut down!) and its walls were covered with potraits of all the legends in pocket billiards history, including the Knoxville Bear, whose picture had a plaque beneath it that read "All who tried perished". It's my understanding that back then the place had been open at least thirty years, and its regulars included some pretty heavy names. I used to see "Dirty" Danny Jones there on a regular basis, and he would charitably give me pointers on my technique. Eddie Taylor would stop in every once and a awhile, and send peoples' jaws to floor with his supernatural banking ability. And one time in '91 I watched Buddy Hall play there on table 5 (nine foot table, extra tight pockets) and miss about two balls in three hours. Other interesting characters were "little" Wayne, who worked there and would challenge people playing with the end of a broom stick. "Hardway" John was the manager of the place, and was expert in one pocket. "Country" Calvin and David Matlock were others I had the fortune to see play there as well.

The point of my post is to ask if anybody out there has any memories of the place, and might have an update on some of the old regulars there. Danny Jones and Eddie Taylor have sadly passed on, but there are some like little Wayne, Country Calvin, and "hardway" John that I haven't heard anything about for years. Any stories or new info anyone might have to contribute would be greatly appreciated.

sliprock
03-13-2006, 04:27 PM
This was my all time favorite poolroom.

I was stationed at Barksdale AFB in 84-86. I spent as much time at guy's and doll's as I could. The action there was non-stop. Bill Schick cues everywhere (I paid $400 for a new 8 pointer). Mike Roberts was just starting "It's George" cases. I was just learning to play so I don't remember very many of the regulars. I just remember the non-stop action.. Shreveport and Bossier City were great pool places back then. It seemed like every bar that you went to had 8-ball action anywhere from $5 on up..