PDA

View Full Version : I lost five bucks

07-03-2002, 09:41 AM
I was playing straight pool with a friend of mine last night. This guy is over half the age of me but were pretty much equal in skill. Anyway we played only to twenty five for 5 bucks(not a large amount) since were friends and i lost bad. But then we played the next one for the same amount and something clicked in my head. Im down 5 and I cannot lose. So i ran about 20 balls and missed. I beat him 25 to six to break even then we called it a nite.

Do any of you magically ply better when you are down money or when your playing for money? When i play for money i feel like i'm on a higher level. I guarantee i'm not the only one. Share your stories.

john bastian in pa

Tom_In_Cincy
07-03-2002, 10:09 AM
Runout61

Nothing magical about playing up to 'competition' skill level.

I believe that if you want to make the decision to play at the same level all the time, you have to be in a competitive mode all the time. If playing for "something" gets you in that competitive mode, then so be it. I find it is not necessary for me to gamble to keep my game consistant.

I like to win, and don't like to rack. I don't always play at my top game all the time, but to win, I have to keep my practice sessions regular, and play in leagues and tournaments often.

07-03-2002, 10:53 AM
I feel that by saying that you may need to play for something to winis only giving yourself excuses for when you lose "oh well I wasnt playing for anything so I wasnt trying". I like Tom absolutely hate to lose at any time and all it tkes to get me motivated is a couple of stupid losses. To me this playing up for money thing is a myth created by players that say you must play for something to get better only so they can take your money.

07-03-2002, 11:01 AM
5 bucks to 25 in 14:1 is almost as bad as a race to 9 for $20 in 9 ball --- we can always find a game

rackmup
07-03-2002, 05:10 PM
When I play for money, I play "lighter". I guess that's because I have less money in my wallet.

Regards,

Ken

07-03-2002, 11:32 PM
I only ever really play, when it is for money..

Keep them guessing I say..

Giving your speed up, because you hate to lose, just means that I can watch your best game from the cheap seats, and figure out a way to beat you, when money is on the line..

No money..
No game..

cArson

Tom_In_Cincy
07-04-2002, 08:12 AM
Its good to know that you can find players that will accomadate your need to play for money.

But, what do you do when you walk into a pool hall and NO one wants to play you? After awhile, when you have either beaten all comers, or run out of money, there will be NO one to play.

Seems to me that you have limited yourself to just playing for money. Do you play in Leagues or Tournaments? if so.. then do you gamble on those games as well?