PDA

View Full Version : Pool in Seoul

sammyd
03-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Hello all,

I'm living in Seoul South Korea and I was wondering if anyone knows of a serious place to play 9ball, ie. where the good players play?

Also, are there any snooker tables in Seoul?

Thanks heaps,

Sammy

Scott Lee
03-12-2006, 09:16 AM
sammyd...There is another poster here, who is an American living in S. Korea, teaching for the past 7 yrs. He goes by Justin_Vegas, and he has a handle on where to play pool. You can PM him, and maybe you can get together to play some. Good luck!

Scott Lee

Deeman3
03-13-2006, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sammyd:</font><hr>
Also, are there any snooker tables in Seoul?

<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Sammy,

There are some snooker tables there but mostly 3 cushion and pocket billiards with the latter gaining popularity each year. </font color>

Justin_Vegas
03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Sammy...
Scott is correct, I definitely have the scoop... There are a few places to play some serious pool in Seoul. I can put you in touch with a few players up there. Are you in the military? I am living down in Dae-jeon. We have the only snooker table in this area along with many pool tables. I have a few friends from Europe and they begged me to get the snooker table. It wasn't too difficult since the owner of the pool hall here is on the Korean National Team for snooker. Anyways, the best place for you to go in Seoul is a billiard hall called ACE. It has only pool tables and the players there are very serious. A kid by the name of Eric, who is actually Korean but lived in the Phillipines for a while and can speak English really well is a regular there. He plays well... Why don't you give me a call, it would be easier than writing all this...

016-401-9568

Names Justin...

p.s. April 25-28 we have the Korean Open produced by Dragon Promotions. Hohmann, Immonen, and of course Williams will be there... I believe Rodneys coming as well.

sammyd
03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies, especially Justin, I'll give you a call soon.

I'm not in the military, I'm teaching English, and getting frustrated with trying out countless poolhalls with no luck at finding a really good table...

Where is ACE? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Thanks again,

Sam

Justin_Vegas
03-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Sammy,
glad to see another serious player in town! I also own a club down here in Dae-jeon with my girlfriend. so if you ever have some free time on the weekend or any day of that matter, you should take a trip down. I have a great pool hall here as I said before with some top Korean pros. And a snooker table! Look forward to your call,

Justin

Deeman3
03-16-2006, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Justin_Vegas:</font><hr> Sammy,
glad to see another serious player in town! I also own a club down here in Dae-jeon with my girlfriend. so if you ever have some free time on the weekend or any day of that matter, you should take a trip down. I have a great pool hall here as I said before with some top Korean pros. And a snooker table! Look forward to your call,

Justin <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Justin,

I am making a trip to Korea in May. Perhaps we can get together and hit a few balls. I'll let you know as my schedule becomes more firm.

Deeman </font color>

Justin_Vegas
03-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Deeman,
Really? That's great... hopefully the time you come, we will have an event for you to see or possibly participate in.

Why are you making the trip? business or pleasure?

A sad situation today, team U.S.A. didn't advance losing to Mexico!!! The Koreans swept the tournament groupings already! I know more than half of the players on the Korean team. I can't believe they are winning like this! sorry to go off topic...lol

Deeman3
03-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Justin,

I manage a Hyundai plant here in the U.S. and as a reward, I am bringing 5 outstanding employees over to see Korea. I have not decised the exact dates but am leaing toward May as the weather is pretty good then.

I watched the U.S vs. Mexico game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif As I lost a ton of small bets to the Koreans on the U.S. vs. Korea game, I am now putting all my cheering and betting behind the Koreans. They, the Koreans here, were almost apologetic about beating us, but you can tell it gives them great pride. I think it is good for baseball to have someone other than us win an international championship.

I look forward to meeting you. Why are you there, work, school or other?

Deeman

Justin_Vegas
03-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Deeman, that's great you have the opportunity to visit here. I came here about 7 years ago to study martial arts full-time. I figured, why not learn from the source.lol... I also own a club with my Korean girlfriend. We have had it for about 4 years. I feel blessed because when I came here, there was almost no pool to be found. It was all cushion billiards. At my club we have a 9-footer and I just played all night, every night. My girlfriend was pissed because nobody else had a chance to play. She then made me the dj and that took up most of my time. I ventured out and found a pool hall here with the number 1,2 and 3 ranked players in Korea. They took me under their wing and started teaching me. But the Koreans are so mechanical that I lost a lot of my feel for the game. I am just now getting it back which feels great. I ended up going to Seoul where Charlie held his first tournament. He just swept through the Koreans with ease. It was exciting to watch him play. That was about 2 years ago. Since then, I have been working as the head referee for Dragon Promotions over here in Korea. I absolutely love it. I can watch pool all day long, and now with these international pros like Hohmann, Immonen, Williams, Morris and Archer etc. I can watch first hand. I mean, I can get no closer to these guys to study without paying, right? Ralf Souquet came down to my bar for the weekend after a tournament to put on a demonstration. We have a lot of foreigners who come to my place so it was exciting to for everyone to watch. Max Eberle was also there and dragged himself off the dance floor to put on an exceptional trick shot show. Mika and Thorsten have come as well. All of them great people with great attitudes. Like I said earlier, I feel truly blessed.

We have a lot of great events coming up this year and I am really excited about that. I just wish this place wasn't so far away!

Sorry to write so much,
Justin

Deeman3
03-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Justin,
Wonderful to hear about all the things you have going on. I lived in Asia for about 10 years total and love it there. I saw Charlie at The Derby City and we're trying to work out something he gives a demo at my plant for the Koreans and Americans. I'm trying to work Ga Young Kim into the deal.

It's nice to know pool is growing so much in South Korea. I have many friends there and misss them as I do a lot of people from Japan, China and Asia Pacific. It sounds like you have your life pretty well together. I wish you success and hope to see you when I come over. Just don't put any martial arts moves on me.

We just had Grand Master Jun Rhee here a few months ago. He is a the father of martial arts in America and Australia as well as being Bruce Lee's former teacher. A hell of nice man and still able to whip my butt....LOL

Later,

Deeman