PDA

View Full Version : open bridge "something to think about"

07-03-2002, 09:55 AM
alot of players like to use both bridges open and closed while playing but people who used closed most of the time and open only once in a while may not know to check for this. when you lift your thumb up to your index finger make sure you are getting your thumb right up to you top knuckle.. this creats a perfect V in which to perch your cue ensuring that your cue goes straight back and forth.. if your thumb is too low then the V angle changes, with one side of its angle being correct and the other side changing by quite a bit. when the taper of your cue slides along the incorrect V it will be forced to move slightly to the thumb side of the V because its on a much more shallow of an angle. also once your cue is on this brodge you should be able to seethe line made by your thumb and the little fatty part of the back of your hand.. you can achieve this by turning your bridge hand in a clockwards motion... failing to do this might cause your cue to rub against the fatty part thus slowing your cue speed down.

07-03-2002, 02:57 PM
aside from damaging fundamental problemns nearly all professional sports are now more geared to enhancing natural talent than changing it. look in any sport.tennis, football, basketball, or the only billiards equivalent golf... what is comfortable to the talented is now important. look at the history of coaching in sports..certain standards of motion had to be taught..corrections made. incorrect corrections. in sports the more relaxed coaching style dominates, allowing unique personal movements. Look at Tiger Wood's stroke..his is unique and has "flaws". Joe Montana, Aaron Brooks, BLke, Elway, especially Brett Favre had trouble in their early QB careers because they had coaches that demanded they change their natural throwing motion..it took less controlling coaches for them to pursue their talent. same in curent billiards..differant sometimnes very unsound but effective technique. Reyes has by any definition terrible stroke mechanics. billiards isn't differant in this regard: just behind the times. what is comfortable and natural will be the better choice..again barring any huge problem in mechanics. i feel the less thought involved in tthe mechanics the better. stop thinking about the stroke and think about the shot at hand. to anyone reading this: i bet more clutch missed shots are the result of overthought stroke than any other. i know with me that's the case. when you think about your stroke there's a deeper problem to solve.
best regards,
^v^

9 Ball Girl
07-03-2002, 03:05 PM
I think that for beginner players at least, they should start off with the closed hand bridge. That should help with any wobbly strokes and lifting the cue after making contact with the CB.

If a beginner player chooses to use the open bridge, then I recommend that they at least try to keep they're palm on the table strictly for stability. I've seen beginners use an open hand bridge and let me tell you, there's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-04-2002, 12:21 AM
having good fundamentals means you can learn to trust your stroke because you know that you are not going to have a breakdown...you dont have to think about your stroke because of the trust your brain has developed with your body. Something as simple as where your thumb is in your bridge may seem trivial to you but it may be the difference of you making one more shot out of a hundred than you would normally make.... and if you start putting it in the correct position how long would it take before it just comes naturally to you? This game is all about cutting down on your errors if someone out there has something that can take 1 error out of a hundred shots for me i would love to hear about it... actually i would like to hear about 100 of them. even the naturally talented players have very good solid fundamentals it just didnt take them very long to learn them. I am not really sure what the point of your post was tho... was it to say that how you hold your bridge hand does not matter??