PDA

View Full Version : New help finding a rule please

Kim1181
03-14-2006, 06:57 AM
I am currently participating in a woman's 9 ball tournament. Saturday a woman I was playing was making a shot on the nine ball when she hit the cue ball and it only moved about two inches. She turned and looked at me and said "That didn't count" and I said "Oh yeah it did" and she turned to the ref and said "That didn't count" and he said "Sorry, but yeah it did". Well she got all upset about it. So now I'd like to find the rule that if the cue ball moves.. it counts. Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

pooltchr
03-14-2006, 07:15 AM
From the BCA rules, I think this pretty much covers your situation:

3.18 FAILURE TO CONTACT OBJECT BALL
It is a foul if on a stroke the cue ball fails to make contact with any legal object ball first. Playing away from a touching ball does not constitute having hit that ball.

3.19 LEGAL SHOT
Unless otherwise stated in a specific game rule, a player must cause the cue ball to contact a legal object ball and then:

(a) Pocket a numbered ball, or;

(b) Cause the cue ball or any numbered ball to contact a cushion or any part of the rail. Failure to meet these requirements is a foul.

Kim1181
03-14-2006, 07:32 AM
I did see this rule but I could swear I read a rule somewhere that said if the cue ball moved just an inch or two after being hit it was considered a legal shot.
Thanks.

Bumps
03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Sounds like bar-room stuff to me. Kinda like the old "if it's frozen to the rail, you can move it a butt's thickness from the rail". Or maybe that was a boy's club rule. LOL!

walt8880
03-14-2006, 09:01 AM
When you hit the cue ball in 9 ball, except on a push out after the break, it must strike the lowest numbered object ball first and then some ball must hit a cushion.

There are no accommodations in the rules for "oops" or "do overs". When the tip of the cue hits the cue ball, it counts as either a legal shot or a foul.

Scott Lee
03-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Kim1181...The tip is considered "alive", and touching any part of it to the CB counts as a stroke. The rules then dictate that the correct OB must be contacted, and something must hit a rail or go in a pocket. This is why you have to be careful when positioning the CB with your cuestick. Touch the CB with the tip, and your turn is over, and it's ball-in-hand for your opponent. You can, however, move the CB with your shaft, with no penalty.

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
03-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Scott,
The world standard rules have changed the 'tip' contact with 'ball in hand' rules

3.40 CUE BALL IN HAND FOUL
During cue ball in hand placement, the player may use his hand or any part of his cue (including the tip) to position the cue ball. When placing the cue ball in position, any forward stroke motion of the cue stick contacting the cue ball will be considered a foul if not a legal shot.

Scott Lee
03-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks Tom...my bad! LOL

Scott

Kim1181
03-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks Y'all! I should have enough information here to prove to her she was wrong.
Kim