PDA

View Full Version : Pool Lingo 101...

TimFXF
03-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I've been playing pool seriously only for a few months - I've got a nice Olhausen table at home - but I've never been in a pool hall. After reading the billiards BB's I realize I am deficient in some of the lingo, jargon and/or pithy phrases associated with the game. I would like to use this string in this forum to periodically ask you learned people what certain things mean. OK, here's a couple to start...

Banger - I think I know what it means, but sometimes I wonder if it's a pejorative term.

14.1 - I see this used a lot in different ways. I figured it had to do with rule book entries, but I'm not sure.

Sneaky Pete - OK, I know it's a type of cue stick. But what makes it a "Sneaky Pete" as opposed to your garden variety stick?

That'll do for a start. Thanks!

Billy_Bob
03-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Banger - This is the worst thing to be called. Basically someone who hits the cue ball as hard as they can each time without regard to where the cue ball with go after their shot. This looks foolish to better players. You see they can easily make their next ball if they shoot in their ball with a slow speed which would leave the cue ball in a perfect spot for their next shot, but no - Wham!

14.1 is a game. Also called straight pool or continuous pool.

A Sneaky Pete is a good quality cue which looks like a house cue. The thing is if you use an expensive cue, they will think you are a good player. If you use what appears to be a house cue, they may think you are not so good.

I have a Meucci and have walked into tournaments. I've had players start sharking me as soon as I take that cue out of my case. I would prefer to sand the Meucci name off of my cue actually because of this.

TimFXF
03-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Funny, I watched a guy at the bar that I play.... I called him a banger without knowing that's exactly what he WAS! I was a little confused because I've seen some posters here and on AZ refer to themselves as bangers. I'm guessing they are young.

Speaking of cues - I bought a McDermott M12P last week. (Got a good price on it.) I am amazed how different it feels! I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I play golf (7 handicap) and have a feel for different clubs.

Thanks for the answers. I'll have more stupid questions in the future no doubt.

Billy_Bob
03-17-2006, 08:47 AM
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Ask away. Learn all you can!

TimFXF
03-17-2006, 11:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> There's no such thing as a stupid question. <hr /></blockquote>

Obviously you've never been to one of my staff meetings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif