PDA

View Full Version : Best Cue Available

tmack25
03-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Im just looking for a little help here. Im a beginner, looking to buy a new cue. Willing to spend roughly $400. Would like your opinion on what you think is the best cue in that price range. Everybody in here seems to be so knowledgable, I appreciate all your help, thanks in advance.

Scott Lee
03-16-2006, 07:34 PM
tmack25...You state that you're a beginner. Why in the world do you feel the need to spend $400 on a cue? Buy a $100 cue and spend the rest on some lessons to learn how to use it properly. Your money will be much better spent, imo.

Scott Lee

BigT
03-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Buy a Meucci with a red dot shaft. I have both a black and a red. The red is much better.

walt8880
03-16-2006, 08:14 PM
I agree with Scott. For a beginner to spend $400 for a cue is throwing money in the wrong direction.

Buy a lower priced McDermott or Dufferin or other cue at about $100, be sure it has a good tip on it and spend the rest on lessons and table time for practice

mikeindayton
03-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Hello! I agree with Scott and walt8880, a nice cue is good but until you know what you are doing at least 70%, a high dollar cue is a waste of hard earned money. Not all quality cues are expensive. $100-$200max until you are confident in yourself and your game. Just about all brand names of the higher end cues have cheaper priced cues.(McDermott,Mucci,Lucasi,and so on)
Just my opinnion hope it helps!
"Good Luck"
Mike

smfsrca
03-16-2006, 11:42 PM
I simply don't understand why people, especially knowledgable ones, want discourage you from spending your money on a good cue, a cue that looks good, feels good, and hits good. Maybe it will inspire you to get lessons.
Then you will have a good cue and know how to use it.

TimFXF
03-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Having just purchased my first "real" cue (McDermott M12P)... I have to say that the difference is amazing. The balance, the tapered shaft, the better tip than you're used to - make it easy to love a better cue. I have to add that I don't think you need to spend $400 to get something special.

I agree that money spent on quality lessons will be money well spent... (My problem is finding a quality teacher.) But keep in mind that after the lessons you'll have a quality instrument with which to enjoy the game for many years.

I find a lot of parallels in this sport to golf... High-end golf clubs are not for everyone. I carry a low handicap (7), but I can't hit a stiff shafted driver. This gets some snickers from some opponents on occasion, but they soon shut up when they see that the old guy with the "regular" flex clubs can drive with them and, more importantly, can putt better than them. I have to assume that the same can be said of high end cues... They are right for some people, but not for everyone.

I say.. get a nice cue stick AND some lessons! Live the life!!!

MacGyver
03-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Here is the best advice:

1: Go to a billiard shop that has multiple cues from different makers, I'd say even 1-1.5 hr drive is appropriate here. Shoot with a couple different cues to find one you like under $200.

2: Get Case for about $40-50

3: Buy Scuffing, tip pik, shaping, gloves, slipstic, whatever else you need that you dont have for under $50.

4: Spend the last $200 on lessons from a good pool teacher, go over fundamentals and then any weak area's of your game.

Much much much much MUCH better than blowing $400 on a cue, imho(unless you just want something that looks pretty)

jingle
03-17-2006, 07:04 AM
I have my McDermott "Torch" model up for auction on e-bay right now. It's in perfect shape, plays & looks great, and you'll have plenty of change left from your 4 bills. Check it out.

Cornerman
03-17-2006, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tmack25:</font><hr> Im just looking for a little help here. Im a beginner, looking to buy a new cue. Willing to spend roughly $400. Would like your opinion on what you think is the best cue in that price range.<hr /></blockquote>

Entirely too many choices to give just one. I like to tell people for their first cue to get a JOSS. But, there are so many good cuemakers that offer a solid cue for $400 cue these days.

Questions for you:
what type of game do you play,
where do you play (bars, pool hall, home),
what do you want a new cue for,
what part of the country do you live

Fred

hondo
03-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't listen to these guys. If you can afford it
get yourself a nice cue. In your price range I
recommend Coker, Dale Perry, Jerry Rauenzahn,
J. Pechauer, Joss,or maybe you could find a
Keith Josey SP. Don't break with it. Treat it
like a baby &amp; it will last you until you're able
to move up.
Or buy that $100 stick, take $300 worth of lessons
and then try to figure out how to come up with
another $400 to buy you a good stick.

bsmutz
03-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I followed the advice given here (but didn't read it first). I bought a $120 Schmelke cue when I bought my table. Could have saved about $40 if I had bought it direct from Schmelke instead of the dealer, but no big deal. Then after a few months, I bought a Lucasi for about the same price. A couple of months short of a year of playing on my own table, I took lessons. Then I practiced and played for another 8 months. Finally, I felt I was ready for an upgrade to a better cue. I had spent a few months looking at various cues, deciding which designs I liked. When I was ready, I knew pretty much what I was looking for and what a good price would be. The lessons definitely helped my game much more than the expensive cue.

SpiderMan
03-17-2006, 12:44 PM
With a budget of $400, you have almost too many choices.

A great-playing cue in that price range can be had from most production and many independent builders.

Happy confusion!

SpiderMan

onepocketfanatic
03-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I started with an fairly cheap Joss. Took lessons, improved my game one heck of a lot over several year, and then bought myself a really nice (and expensive) Jerry Olivier.

tmack25
03-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Ok sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I need to clarify my position here a little bit. When I Say Im a beginner, I am comparing myself to some of you in here, that seem very knowledgable and I am sure are great players. Im not a complete novice. Ive been playing league for two years now. Im getting to be one of the top 10 or 15 percent of the players in my league. I own a bar box, so I already have some money invested in this. I am serious about becoming a good player. I was just looking for input and opinions of people on the board. I'm not dead set on spending that much. It happens to be what I am willing to spend. Thank you all very much for the feedback , sorry if I touched off a debate.

will8834
03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Check out chad carters cues great cues at a good price
carter custom cues (http://www.cartercustomcues.com)

8ball
03-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Pechauer may be a cue for you to look at. They make an excelent cue in the price range you are looking for. Their workmanship is excellent and the playability is great. They also have a liftime warranty even against warpage.

kevinkins
03-18-2006, 08:00 AM
I spent a few weeks looking into getting a new cue after having my table since last May. The cues I got with the table were fine. But after looking a various $100 cues at the shop over two Saturdays I decided to only upgrade to a $30 one piece cue. (Actually got two) It plays way better than my old cues and fits my skill level. Next year I will treat myself to a more expensive cue. I was very surprised that I did not have to go to $100 to see a difference in play. I think in large part the way a player and cue interact is mental however. Kinda like a golfer and a putter. Golfers go through countless putters in their lives and often never settle on one type or another.

- Kevin

TimFXF
03-18-2006, 10:36 AM
With a brief affair with the oversized Nicklaus putter from his '86 Master's win, I've been using the Ping Anser 2 for 25-30 years!

I wonder what percentage - mental/physical - a good cue makes.

Any thoughts on the subject?

dareads
03-20-2006, 07:21 AM
I was looking in the same price range as you a couple months ago. I ended up buying a used Schon on Ebay and couldn't recommend it enough. If you like a solid hitting cue, it is definitely worth looking into. Just my $.02

TomBrooklyn
03-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Predator