PDA

View Full Version : Standard break cue weight

07-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Since between 19 - 19.5 oz for a playing cue what about the standard weight for a break cue? Jus curious.

I've read a lot about light/heavy is better discussions from RSB. But can anyone give me numbers for the standard weight?

Thanks!

Cueless Joey
07-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Standard? You mean the average? I like mine with a light wood then weighted in front around 19. Then again, I like pickin' up those 21 oz. house cues to break with. They break like hammer.

07-03-2002, 02:34 PM
I dont know about "standard" weights..... Who says or defines what is "standard"?? I like a nice 18.0 oz break cue,but i am far from being an expert or anyone who should be "defining a standard........ Q-BALL

Michelle
07-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Definately the best way to go on a break stick is very light. Most people will go around 18 oz., if you can control something even a little lighter, there's no reason not to go with it. The thing is, the velocity of your stick will have twice as much affect on the speed of the CB as the mass of the stick does. So, as long as you have control of the light stick, your break should improve with it.

rackmup
07-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Michelle:

Get back to work and quit goofing off on the internet or I'll tell Walter!

Ken

07-03-2002, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the post BUT I think you guys/gals haven't answered my question yet. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I 'm expecting answers like lighter is better and heavier, I understand that and have read a lot about it. i know it's personal preferrenc ebut need to know the standard weight for a break cue. If there is a standard weight for a playing cue then there's gotta be a standard weight for a break cue. Need numbers. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks!

PQQLK9
07-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Art..from what I have read...It has been explained to you...you need to comprehend it...

TonyM
07-03-2002, 10:30 PM
The short answer is that there is no "standard" weight for a break cue. Some prefer a heavier cue, and others a lighter cue.

I find that many people seem to like their break cues to be about the same weight as their playing cues however. Then you can add or remove an ounce and see what you prefer.

Tony

TonyM
07-03-2002, 10:37 PM
I don't believe that it is possible to make a generalization like that Michelle. The problem is a bit more complex. While it is indeed true that the stick energy increases as the square of it's velocity, this assumes that you can always achieve a greater velocity with a lighter stick!

Many times this simply isn't true (although for some it certainly is). For many players their maximum arm speed (the speed to accelerate their arm weight only) tops out no matter how light the stick. For these players a heavier cue might well produce more cueball speed (if they can swing it at the same speed).

The other big consideration is accuracy.

I've found that an ounce or two of extra weight has a small effect on the maximum cue speed for many players, but a profound affect on the accuracy of the cue delivery. This effect is caused by the extra inertia of the heavier cue keeping it on line.

The "optimum" cue weight for maximum cueball speed is a variable that is different for each player. It is profoundly affected by the maximum arm speed that can be achieved. Thus it is possible that one player's optimum weight cue is heavier than anothers. A generality that says that lighter is always better is imo, not reccommended.

Tony

MikeM
07-04-2002, 06:30 AM
There is a current train of thought among some players to go with a lighter break sitck to increase the cue speed. I've tried breaking with cues all the way down to 17oz and they just don;t do it for me. my current break stick is a McDermott that is about 20.5oz. WIth a new WB tip on it is smashing the balls. Since I'm about 260lbs myself I don't think a couple of ounces is going to slow me down at all.

MM

Tom_In_Cincy
07-04-2002, 07:54 AM
Art,
The standard weight for a break cue is 18 to 21 oz.
The standard weight for a playing cue is 18 to 19.5 oz.

Playing Cues are made with weights from 18 to 21 oz.

Breaking Cues are made with weights form 18 to 21 oz.

Players believe that the heavier the break cue, the more speed and force generated to break the rack open.

Player also believe that accuracy is more important than speed and force, and that a lighter break cue can help get this accuracy.

I play with a 20.5 oz Joss and break with a 19 oz. Bludworth.

I hope these are the numbers you are asking about.

Players have to decide what they want in a cue and weight by what kind of skill level they are or want to be.

If you are a beginner, (no league or tournament experience) then I would recommend a 21 oz break cue. Even is you miss hitting the head ball full, you will still have some force left over to get a decent spread on the balls.

Now you have to get a case that can hold your playing cue and break cue.

07-04-2002, 07:56 AM
Ok Art here is the 411...

As a general rule, pros are starting to move to lighter break sticks than the one they play with. They find that they can get better speed with a lighter stick,...that should make sense. More speed is what you need in breaking(of course accuracy!).

The break stick should be 1-2 oz lighter than your playing stick.

Robert Byrne did a test on break cue weights and put a radar gun on the CB. Here are the results:

"Simon had the three best shots, reaching 23.72 mph with a 20-ounce cue, 23.29 mph with a 19.5 ouncer, and a suprising 22.85 mph with a 17.9 ouncer. Nobody topped 20 mph with the 25.9-ounce graphite "break" cue" (Robert Byrne's Advanced Technique in Pool and Billiards), a good book I might add.

So, for my money I play with a 19.5 ouncer and I just bought the Predator BK at 18 ounces. I breaks like a hammer,..of course it has a very hard tip (which is needed) and the joint and ferrule are made for breaking, which makes it not the best for playing with,..I tried.

Griff

griffith_d
07-04-2002, 08:03 AM
I forgot to sign in,..for the last post.

Griff