PDA

View Full Version : Open vs Closed Bridge

kevinkins
03-19-2006, 04:26 PM
I thought the closed bridge was best. I have never liked it due to my small hands. I see on Dr Dave's video site he uses an open bridge. Please advice.

Thanks

Kevin

Bob_Jewett
03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kevinkins:</font><hr> I thought the closed bridge was best. I have never liked it due to my small hands. I see on Dr Dave's video site he uses an open bridge. Please advice.... <hr /></blockquote>
If you have good control over your back hand (grip hand), there is no need for a closed bridge. If your mechanics aren't perfect, you will need a closed bridge to control the front of the cue stick. Watch the top players. I think you will find that nearly all of them use open bridges on some shots.

pooltchr
03-20-2006, 05:26 AM
Each type of bridge has it's advantages. Some shots are better suited for open and some for closed bridges. As a general rule, I use open when I am making contact above center of the cue ball and closed when I am below center. Not EVERY shot, but most of the time.
Steve

ABQ_Poolhead
03-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Kevin, whatever works feels best for you, and still delivers the cue tip to the intended point on the cue ball. Closed bridge gives more control for higher speed shots, open bridge gives you unbroken line-of-sight aim but magnifies any problems you might have in your stroke.
Another issue is your stance, as the open bridge seems to work better for a low bentover stance, vs. closed bridge for a taller stance. Basically, whatever feels comfortable for you and gets the tip to the right place, because after many thousands of pocketed balls, you will be focused on shot speed, position, etc. and will give little if any thought to your bridge other than a periodic fundamentals check.
Have fun! ABQ

dr_dave
03-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Kevin,

FYI, there are some good postings and threads concerning your question under "bridge" in the threads summary section of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html). Check them out.

Regards,
Dave
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kevinkins:</font><hr> I thought the closed bridge was best. I have never liked it due to my small hands. I see on Dr Dave's video site he uses an open bridge. Please advice.

Thanks

Kevin <hr /></blockquote>

cushioncrawler
03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
If your mechanics arent perfect -- one little trick that i am surprized iz never mentioned, for an open bridge -- what u do iz, u try to push the nose of the cue down, ie into the vee of the bridge. Its amazing how much downforce u can get, even with a one-finger grip of the butt (one finger plus part of palm). I remember seeing one old-timer playing snooker -- he pressed down so hard that the cue had a big (temporary) bend during the shot.

And, a bonus -- if u press down like this -- your elbow automatically duz its best to align perfectly over the cue.

If u are one of those unfortunate fellaz (like me) that tend to aim and align left of cueball and left of target, u should press the cue to the left, into the left side of your vee. This works best with a tapered cue (ie not a pro taper), and works best when u hold the left edge of the vee (here) close to vertical.

SPetty
03-21-2006, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> ...try to push the nose of the cue down into the vee of the bridge...<hr /></blockquote>I've heard this before, but have trouble with it. If you're the type, like I am, that prefers to have a very loose cradling of the cue with your back hand, then trying to grab and apply downward pressure to the cue would seem to cause, as it does with me, most aspects of your stroke mechanics to change to accomodate that.

cushioncrawler
03-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes, a very loose grip (&amp; a loose vee) &amp; a very relaxed everything (including face &amp; eyes &amp; ears) seems to work miracles sometimes. I tend to hold my cue very short, which meenz that the center of mass of the cue iz not well forward of my grip, hence the downpress helps me to keep the tip on line (on level mainly). I reckon that, for playerz who like a firm grip (and firm everything), then the downpress might help them to keep all of their ducks in a line, ie to reduce jerkiness (sidewayz especially).

Likewize, i found that some beginners have trouble executing a nice pause at the end of the backswing -- and i got the impression that a downpress helped their pause. The downpress that i am talking about iz a constant force during the whole of the address etc -- in some wayz it might be compared to a golfer'z forward press before the backswing -- they both stop jerkiness, and promote smoothness -- dont send any money.

Cane
03-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Most of the shots I make, I use an open bridge, BUT, I'd suggest, you learn all of the bridges from all positions... open table, over a ball, frozen to the cushion... there are many variations of open and closed bridges, and it's handy to know them all. In the end, you'll probably do as I have and settle on what's most comfortable for you... for me, it's an open bridge, but like I said, on MOST of my shots... not all of them.

Bob