PDA

View Full Version : Use of throw, changing aim points.

dutchboy
03-19-2006, 07:10 PM
First, really enjoyed the conversations on my previous post Physics of Draw/Follow…so here’s another question I’ve been struggling with. When using English to throw balls {whether it is outside or inside} the issue of changing aim points becomes crucial. Is it a matter of just developing “feel” for throw, is there a general rule for adjusting aim…some days it seems a half tip of side demands a very full hit and other days not. I’m fascinated by how using English actually assists the pocketing of balls...hugging the rails, solid pocket drop etc: However, it’s a very dicey practice, and very frustrating to gain control of. A dry day in the house, a damp day, clean balls, dirty balls…the nuances can be very trying. How to achieve any consistency you can confidently rely on, or is it just a crap shoot at times?

jtlabs
03-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I'm a little confused, are you referring to english induced throw or collision induced throw? I think english induced throw can only occur on a close to full ball hit while any type of english on the latter might minimize the effects of throw.(Of course if I was you, I would not take my word for it as I am a beginner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I hope someone here can clarify.)

I think I read somewhere that draw and follow can also minimize throw but I will leave that to the physics experts to argue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Regards,
Jay

Billy_Bob
03-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Around here, it was very dry for several months, then it rained. That night I went to a weekly tournament at a place where they never clean the balls. Everybody was "off" on their shooting of some cut shots.

So I think it was that everyone had adjusted to the dry weather, then the humidity increased radically - along with having dirty balls, something changed. I suspect dry dirty balls play differently than dirty balls in a humid room? Might want to get a humidity gauge and see if you notice any differences relating to humidity...

dr_dave
03-20-2006, 09:18 AM
dutchboy,

FYI, there are many good postings concerning throw listed in the threads summary area of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html). Unfortunately, there are many variables and no easy answers for how much to adjust other than by taking some practice shots before playing to get a feel for the amount of throw. Also, it helps to know all of the general trends (see the plots and conclusions in TP A.14 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/technical_proofs/new/TP_A-14.pdf)).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dutchboy:</font><hr> First, really enjoyed the conversations on my previous post Physics of Draw/Follow…so here’s another question I’ve been struggling with. When using English to throw balls {whether it is outside or inside} the issue of changing aim points becomes crucial. Is it a matter of just developing “feel” for throw, is there a general rule for adjusting aim…some days it seems a half tip of side demands a very full hit and other days not. I’m fascinated by how using English actually assists the pocketing of balls...hugging the rails, solid pocket drop etc: However, it’s a very dicey practice, and very frustrating to gain control of. A dry day in the house, a damp day, clean balls, dirty balls…the nuances can be very trying. How to achieve any consistency you can confidently rely on, or is it just a crap shoot at times? <hr /></blockquote>