PDA

View Full Version : Custom 60" cue question.

tjlmbklr
03-19-2006, 08:45 PM
How can I find a 60" cue. I am going to spare all the details, but I really believe I could benefit from a longer cue. I don't have the budget that it appears some of the "cue collectors" on this forum have to have one custom made just to find I was wrong. If I knew more people at the pool hall were I shoot league, I would try to find someone that has a custom 60+" cue. I can't see myself asking around to people I don't know . Their has to be something I can do, any suggestions!

Tjlmbklr

SpiderMan
03-20-2006, 07:09 AM
The least expensive option would probably be to have an extra-length shaft made for a cue you already own (and like).

I had a custom cue made at 60" last year because I'm tall with long arms, and I find I'm often gripping behind the wrap on regular cues. I have never played with it. I found that, because I was so used to my regular cue, I just didn't want to take the time to get used to a different one. Maybe I'm equipment-sensitive.

SpiderMan

tjlmbklr
03-20-2006, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> The least expensive option would probably be to have an extra-length shaft made for a cue you already own (and like).

I had a custom cue made at 60" last year because I'm tall with long arms, and I find I'm often gripping behind the wrap on regular cues. I have never played with it. I found that, because I was so used to my regular cue, I just didn't want to take the time to get used to a different one. Maybe I'm equipment-sensitive.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Thanx spiderman, what kind of cue is it? Is it 30" butt, and 30" shaft? You planning on keeping it?

SpiderMan
03-20-2006, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> The least expensive option would probably be to have an extra-length shaft made for a cue you already own (and like).

Thanx spiderman, what kind of cue is it? Is it 30" butt, and 30" shaft? You planning on keeping it? <hr /></blockquote>

It's a full-custom Mike Erwin, signed. I made several pilgrimages to his shop in Strayhorn to choose the woods, inlays, etc, and just generally BS with him about the design.

It's actually the second Irwin custom I've had made. The first one, due to the materials I chose, came out 1-1/2 ounces heavier than my regular cue. I did play with that one, and liked the length (as well as the looks - beautiful), but couldn't get used to the weight. So I sold it, and had him make this new one. But now that I've received it, I find that I'm playing extremely well with my old cue, and ACS Nationals are coming up, and I'm unwilling to change anything that might require an adjustment.

If I could find someone who wanted a 60" cue and would return my investment I would sell it and probably forget about custom cues for a while. If you are interested contact me by PM.

I assume the length split is 30"-30", but I can measure the butt and both shafts tonight.

SpiderMan

slow_roller
03-20-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm also tall (and not willing to fork out for a custom long cue without being reasonably sure I'd like it). I've thought about getting an extender made that would add 2-3 inches to the overall length by screwing between butt and shaft. Has anyone ever seen something like that? Is it a terrible idea?

tjlmbklr
03-20-2006, 03:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slow_roller:</font><hr> I'm also tall (and not willing to fork out for a custom long cue without being reasonably sure I'd like it). I've thought about getting an extender made that would add 2-3 inches to the overall length by screwing between butt and shaft. Has anyone ever seen something like that? Is it a terrible idea? <hr /></blockquote>

This I have considered. I want to keep the balance of the cue. This would for sure take away from the natural balance and integrity of your cue.

Snapshot9
03-20-2006, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> How can I find a 60" cue. I am going to spare all the details, but I really believe I could benefit from a longer cue. I don't have the budget that it appears some of the "cue collectors" on this forum have to have one custom made just to find I was wrong. If I knew more people at the pool hall were I shoot league, I would try to find someone that has a custom 60+" cue. I can't see myself asking around to people I don't know . Their has to be something I can do, any suggestions!

Tjlmbklr <hr /></blockquote>

1) Use Google and search for '60" cues' or '60 inch cues'.
2) Search for '60' through the wanted/for sale portion of
AZB. Someone was just trying to sell 2 cues there, 1 a
58" and the other a 60", BUT I can not remember who.

ceebee
03-21-2006, 09:37 AM
John Parker, of Auerbach Custom Cues, makes 60 inch cues all the time. John makes a great hitting cue. He can be reached at 918-381-9364

see www.auerbachcustomcues.com (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com)

RonMont
03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
I am 6'3" with a 54" wingspan. As you can see a normal bridge for me could only be 4" with a regular cue. I had a 4" extension made and used it for about a year. It worked very well. I then had 4" added to the cue butt. I did this because I found that having a new shaft made that was longer resulted in a lot of "whip" in the shaft (The shaft I had made was 2" longer). The cue is great and being able to buy regular length shafts is a real advantage.

SpiderMan
03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RonMont:</font><hr> I am 6'3" with a 54" wingspan. <hr /></blockquote>

Hopefully that's a typo, unless you're an amputee /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm 6'3" with a 75" span (74" between nosefingers).

SpiderMan

tjlmbklr
03-21-2006, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RonMont:</font><hr> I am 6'3" with a 54" wingspan. <hr /></blockquote>

Hopefully that's a typo, unless you're an amputee /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wow! I feel like a freak now, but at least I feel my desire for a longer cue is now justified.

I am a smiggin less then 6'0" and I have 76" span, Yah I said 76"

tateuts
03-21-2006, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RonMont:</font><hr> I am 6'3" with a 54" wingspan. <hr /></blockquote>

I just measured my span and it's 75" also, and I use a 60" cue. If I didn't use the longer cue, my grip hand is on the butt selleve instead of the wrap. Maybe we're onto something. Optimal cue length equals span minus 15"?

Chris

tjlmbklr
03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just measured my span and it's 75" also, and I use a 60" cue. If I didn't use the longer cue, my grip hand is on the butt selleve instead of the wrap. Maybe we're onto something. Optimal cue length equals span minus 15"?

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Well there you go "spiderman" I think I am starting to get covinced. All I need now is a good looking cue for my shooting pleasure...!

SpiderMan
03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RonMont:</font><hr> I am 6'3" with a 54" wingspan. <hr /></blockquote>

Wow! I feel like a freak now, but at least I feel my desire for a longer cue is now justified.

I am a smiggin less then 6'0" and I have 76" span, Yah I said 76" <hr /></blockquote>

Wow! You need platform shoes to keep from skinning your knuckles when you walk? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

OldieToo
03-21-2006, 04:37 PM
You can order a base model McDermott that is 60" for no more money than a 58" cue.