PDA

View Full Version : predator shaft + specific backed tip=good or bad?

07-03-2002, 12:58 PM
i've been following the predator shaft posts over the past few months pretty intensly while adding a few of my own. i suspect the reason i've been so hesitant to just buy a new one is that i already have an older version and never liked it. also in taking a few hits on occasion from other playes i shot terribly. i did and still like the feel of the hit fo these shafts but ne'er did well in sinking the balls and that is the point isn't it? recently i've been able to shoot with a predator for a full week and i am now feeling the rhythm so many others do here. a recent post or two concerned me though: that the benifits of a predator shaft can be circumvented by the tip choice. i like a moori medium tip with red fibre backing. moori med with red fibre are on all of my more liked shafts, and i've pretty much played with this set up off and on for 8 years. lol at how Moori prices are finally getting fair again. the way the pool market is going older dried out moori tips will be worth more probably more than newer ones. after a five year absense and the biggest differances i've noticed in pool is the lower local skill level(the best talent has moved away), fewer places to shoot, prices on cues/assessories has quadrupled. anyway my tip choice is probably more superstitious than scientific but i do prefer it and am comfortable with this set up. will this harm the performance of a predator? or as suggested cause more squirt? all things equal i would choose to use my tip set-up as i've been experimenting with tips of late many times over what i've ever done before. all things equal at least with my game, tip selection has more effect than anything else(except maybe banks with the predator). advice, personal experience and suggestions greatly appreciated. offers on a 12 splice predator shaft in excellent condition properly entertained. suggestions on becoming a less wordy CCB poster also entertained but in a truer sense of the word:-)
a reformed psuedo-intellectual snob, which billiards interactions helped humble to a cure,
^v^

07-03-2002, 01:09 PM
I've been shooting with Pred shaft for over a year now with a black fiber pad on a Moori MH. I like the feel of the fiber pad on my tip. I like how it dampens the hollow sound from the shaft and it really hits great.

07-03-2002, 02:24 PM
thanks for the quick reply. dang i didn't realize my initial post was that poorly typed. omitted letters galore. a luxinterior post by any measure. i'm using a new-quite old IBM brand typists' keyboard, the old sprongy type...springs under each key instead of the wear-outable rubber condom tipped looking things on new keybords. i love the feel of these typists things, durability aside. apparantly i'm not typing with enough effort or authority. as you can see from this reply it's getting better. this is the predator shaft of keyboards! it feels great but still takes some getting used to. static technology is my favorite:-) still though, do you notice more squirt/and or deflection with your identical to mine setup? sprong! sprong! yes it is much like the predator shaft. hit of keys. (^v^ <-----disentagrates into mumbling. the only audable pieces of words are sprong and pred, rock, check!, and third).
thanks,
^v^

MikeM
07-03-2002, 02:31 PM
Are your fingers getting tired?

Seriously, my normal playing stick is a Schon with Schon shafts and Moori MH on both shafts. I acquired a Predator a while back and have tried at various times to switch to it. It never seemed right. I probably didn't give it enough time but I have been unable to adjust to the "no deflection" hit of the Pred. I recently had a Soft Talisman Pro installed on the Pred. shaft. Much better, but I still have returned to my Schon with Moori setup. So, for me it doesn't seem to matter what tip I have on my Predator it just doesn't feel as good as the Schon with Mooris. Hope this helped.

MM...now my fingers are tired

cheesemouse
07-03-2002, 02:37 PM
Hahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa,
Sometimes I get turned on by keyboards too.....heheeeeeeheeeee

07-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Mike.
Have you also tried the Moori MH on your Predator shaft?
If so how did it compare to the Schon?

07-04-2002, 03:26 AM
I shoot with a Predator 99-5 with a soft Talisman tip and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I will never play with any other combination again. It took me a while to get used to the extra grab from the Talisman compared to a Lepro but now I can do so much more with the cue ball than I ever could before. I am waiting for the day Predator makes a snooker shaft.

MikeM
07-04-2002, 06:04 AM
Eddie,

That's one set up I haven't tried. The Moori MHs are no longer available. I'm told that the Talisman Pro Soft is the closest thing to a Moori MH. They do feel very similar to me.

MM

SPetty
07-04-2002, 07:42 AM
I put a Talisman Pro M on my Predator shaft, and lost a great deal of "grab". I miscue more now than I ever have. Can't wait to try the soft...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: B.B:</font><hr> I shoot with a Predator 99-5 with a soft Talisman tip and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I will never play with any other combination again. It took me a while to get used to the extra grab from the Talisman compared to a Lepro but now I can do so much more with the cue ball than I ever could before. I am waiting for the day Predator makes a snooker shaft. <hr></blockquote>

griffith_d
07-04-2002, 08:10 AM
MikeM

I was looking at my next playing cue as a Schon,...they really look nice and I have talked to other players,..they like them as well. Which model is yours?

Griff

MikeM
07-04-2002, 08:30 AM
Griff,

I actually have three. The one I play with is an STL 13. I also have a LTD, the 529 I believe and another older model that I have yet to identify. All play very similarly. I have a cue buying problem that leads me to spend lots of money on pretty cues. I keep hoping to find that "magic wand" that will make me play better, but I always end up back with my first cue, the STL 13. The Mooris are a big reason why, but everything about that cue feels "right". I play with the other Schons with the Moori tipped shafts and they play just about the same. I definitely recommend Schon for playability and they look pretty good too.

MM

Elvis
07-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Never had a Schon, probably next on my list, but the STL-7 is a beautiful cue.

07-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Well then today should be a day of jubilation for you B.B.! Give them a call, 888-314-4111. Snooker and billiard shafts are available either now or in the next couple of months from Predator! (I know I was told the date, but I'll be darned if I can remember!)

07-06-2002, 04:36 PM
thanks for the replies..it seems the other poster that had issues with the layered tip on a predator may have been an anomoly. any other positive or negative issues with a backed tip/ and or Moori on a predator?
best regards,
^v^