PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks, two ahas

bsmutz
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I've been playing pretty much every day for the past 2 years. During that time I've taken lessons and read everything I could find. I've been making steady progress. Last week, I started getting down even further on my shots while lining up and found that I can see the angles much better the more I bend over. It's not necessary on every shot, but works wonders on long shots & cut shots. Then last Friday, I found that during my warm up strokes if I took 3 or 4 strokes that were as identical as possible to the final stroke, that I increased my accuracy quite a bit. It's amazing to me that such subtle little tweaks can have such a huge impact. I used to not pay too much attention to the quality of my warm up strokes. I knew I wanted to do a few, but sometimes they were short little strokes, or a mix of short and long. Everything is finally coming together. I was actually able to play a halfway decent game of straight pool Saturday night! Just wanted to point out to newbies like me that small improvements to technique can make a large improvement in execution and again, that it can/does take years to fully understand the game and all its intricacies.

slow_roller
03-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder about those little things! I've recently decided to be more rigorous about those warm-up strokes: now I always take 3, not 2, not 14, but 3, with a brief pause before the 4th stroke, the actual delivery. That has helped with my rhythm and results. I'll try your suggestion of making the warm-ups as similar as possible to the final stroke. Getting down lower is also worth a try, but I don't bend as well as I used to!

jtlabs
03-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Happy to see that your game is finally coming together.

I just been playing for a few months now, I have had lessons, and I have been practicing whenever I can. Usually every Monday(since I have off from work that day and its only $10 for a all day table.)

I have always tried to keep my warm up strokes as similar as I can to final execution and I am still working on developing a straight as can be stroke. I'm aware of the many bad habits people can develop when playing pool and I am taking my time on this even though it can get monotonous. I'm anxious to move on but I know with out a close to perfect stroke you can fall into the trap of inconsistency.

Believe it or not I find that I can control the cue ball already as far as direction, however, speed control is another issue, especially on thin ball hits but as I said I refrain from working on that part of the game until I can stroke the ball consistently as well as pocket balls, as I am still having trouble seeing the angles. Sometimes a system works nicely and others times it just does not do the trick. Sometimes just using feel helps me pocket the ball but so far nothing on a consistent basis. Also I hate shooting off the rail and know I have to practice that a lot.

Overall, I am happy with my progress, but sometimes it kills me to know I have so many years ahead of me before I can even make a dent.

Regards,
Jay

bsmutz
03-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Jay,
You are lucky in a way. I've been playing for over 30 years, quite a bit when I was younger, then not so much during the family raising years. I still have stuff I'm trying to get rid of from all the years of playing with no clue what I was doing (but still fairly successful). At least you are starting out with good information and solid fundamentals. While I am still not running racks or running out from anywhere, my game is gaining consistency as each day passes. I'm finally to the point where I feel confident enough in my stroke and preshot routine to really start tackling the tougher drills. I have been kind of working on the fundamentals since I started 2 years ago until I felt I was ready to move on, kind of like what you are doing. I'm going to start going to tournaments soon as well. Let's hope I can still bend over for a few more years! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif