PDA

View Full Version : Did I Win Money Or Break Even?

Sid_Vicious
03-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Ok here's the explanation, with the unknowns. I play this guy I don't know well for several sets, then upon beginning of the last set he asks to play for an amount(unknown to me right now) which would put me down $240, which after looking at my wallet, I could just afford. We went hill-hill, then he offered to start over and add a hundred to the wager. Now I am looking at shooting on air, so I let him know this and we play and I win that set, BUT I WAS ULTRA WORRIED over my stupidity to the point that I felt like I broke even, and we parted as such. For the moment let's not dwell on the fact I should have been conscious of my winnings, and just ponder this in all scenarios for me to see if there is ANY possible way I could have NOT won the hundred since at the beginning of the set prior to the hundred bump, I was only looking at $240 for the entire evenings losses.

Summary:

1.Unknown debt amount before the last set, running the debt in trust.

2. Me looking at my cash just prior to that set seeing that I could cover the entire loss of $240.

3. That set(unknown amount for set wager and unknown previous balance already owed) would have me stuck 340.

4. My total mental knowledge(yea I know that part) with the $100 bump that my overall loss for the day would be $340.

Is there any way, besides playing for $340 as if I owed him $340(not the case trust me, I ain't a $640 chump to a stranger), for me not to have been owed at least the hundred bump if not more?

Please formulate a scenario if you can to justify my B-Even. Tia...sid~~~doesn't need to gamble if he can't manage money and his emotions

Drop1
03-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Sid if you walked out with more than you walked in with,you shouln't lose any sleep. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I left with only what I came with instead of the alternative if I'd lost that last set...stuck for a hundred I didn't have. I just can't analyze a situation where I wouldn't have cashed out for something is all. A friend and fellow poster here heard this story of my thinking I'd book even, and gave me the hint that he didn't think I could have missed being a winner of at leat the c-note.....sid

woody_968
03-21-2006, 08:47 AM
I dont know how you could not know what you were down, or at the very least know how much you were playing the last set for. But it could happen, and you could have won the set but still lost money.

If you were down 170 and playing the last set for 70 it would put your total for the night at 240. Starting the set over and adding 100 means you are now playing for 170, the total amount you were down when you started the final set. So if you won, you broke even.

Sid, me thinks you need to pay attention when your making games LOL.

Woody

Billy_Bob
03-21-2006, 10:28 AM
With general gambling, many people will dump their money into machines or whatever over time.

Night 1 lose $200
Night 2 lose $200
Night 3 win $200

On night 3, they will then say they "won" $200, be excited, buy everybody drinks with their winnings, etc.

However the way I look at it, they have lost $200. That is they have dumped $400 into the machine and got $200 back.

But gamblers don't seem to remember their losses, only their "winnings".

Anyway for your situation, the question is; Did you walk out with more money than you came in with?

Snapshot9
03-21-2006, 11:10 AM
The only way I look at it, being a good pool player, gambler,
and good businessman, is NET PROFIT, when you finally get home.
When you win a $100 tournament, do you think of winning a $100, or do you subtract entry fee, quarters, drinks, food, and say you made $70 in lieu of a $100? I subtract ALL expenses related pretty much to the Pool game.

Example ... If I played a guy at a Pool room some $100 sets,
and ended up with $400 up, I would still subtract those things above for my net profit. But, on the other hand, if I had to go to his house to play him, and needed gas to get there, I would add the gas as part of my expenses for the game (although he should provide drinks and not need quarters for his home table ... so it washes out pretty much).

BTW, I never drink liquor while playing, only Dr. Pepper,
and only get food if I haven't eaten in a long time, or are
starving, or perhaps over a course of a big tournament. I also count, in the event of qa tournament, any money I might have lost or won on a Challenge table while waiting for a match to come up.

SpiderMan
03-21-2006, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I dont know how you could not know what you were down, or at the very least know how much you were playing the last set for. <hr /></blockquote>

Adrenaline + Budweiser /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid and I discussed this at length, and at the very least I think he was owed $100 after that set. How likely the other guy is to pay him, I don't know - he's nearly a stranger to me also.

SpiderMan

woody_968
03-21-2006, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
Sid and I discussed this at length, and at the very least I think he was owed $100 after that set. How likely the other guy is to pay him, I don't know - he's nearly a stranger to me also.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

If he was down 120 and originally playing for 120 the last set then he would of course owe Sid the hundred they added on. I take it the guy doesnt come into the room often? Sid said he let the guy know he was playing the last hundred on air, was this the case with the other guy too?

What I mean is did the guy not have the hundred or did Sid leave the room thinking they were even and now has to try and convince the guy that he owes Sid 100?

Woody

SpiderMan
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

If he was down 120 and originally playing for 120 the last set then he would of course owe Sid the hundred they added on. I take it the guy doesnt come into the room often? Sid said he let the guy know he was playing the last hundred on air, was this the case with the other guy too?

What I mean is did the guy not have the hundred or did Sid leave the room thinking they were even and now has to try and convince the guy that he owes Sid 100?

Woody <hr /></blockquote>

"Playing on air" is something Sid isn't prone to doing; I've known him for years. I doubt he was short anything beyond the additional spur-of-the moment hundred. Which means, after he won, that he would be owed the hundred plus whatever original amount the set was for. The original amount may have been anything up to what Sid had in his pocket to cover, maybe $220, but unfortunately his recall is fuzzy.

SpiderMan

woody_968
03-21-2006, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

"Playing on air" is something Sid isn't prone to doing; I've known him for years. I doubt he was short anything beyond the additional spur-of-the moment hundred. Which means, after he won, that he would be owed the hundred plus whatever original amount the set was for. The original amount may have been anything up to what Sid had in his pocket to cover, maybe $220, but unfortunately his recall is fuzzy.

I hope I didnt give the impresion that I thought Sid did something wrong. I have spoken with him enough on here (though its been a while) to have the impression that he doesnt play on money he doesnt have with him. The fact that he said he was up front and told the guy shows that he doesnt want to be out there firing air barrels /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlynSets
03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
I gotta be missing something here becuase I've read it twice and I still don't get it?

How is #1 an unkown? Even if your drunk you gotta have some kinda idea of $$ going back n forth?

As well, do you guys not pay up after every set? If so then your answers simple. How much did you walk in with? Walk out with? This method even takes into account expenses of the night (as mentioned earlier) so you don't have to figure it all out.. LOL (Incidentally It's my method of choice.)

On a side note playing on "air" as you put it. In my most humble of opinions is never a good idea. Not that your not good for the cash etc.. I've just seen a couple of things go "weird" in my days of playing. A friend of mine walked (same parking lot) to an ATM to get the cash after he LOST something like 60 bucks to a guy, and was "mysteriously" and coincedentally (I think it was a friend of the guy he was playing personally) robbed at said ATM forced to withdrawal the max amount. He comes back all shaken up and the other guy asks.. "What about my money?" I ended up lending it to him.

Saw another guy playing and they both had a very complete understanding of what was going on, and when it was over a guy became very agitated as if they never had the conversation to begin with? Started demanding his money on the spot etc.. etc..

I never play unless I have the cash in hand to back it up. Any larger sets a 3rd party will hold it.

DJ

Deeman3
03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
You are not missing anything. There are some who feel Sid should be drug tested every once in a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

tk_it_ez
03-26-2006, 09:42 PM
If you won, broke even or lost depends on what you were down before the last game. All three are possible.

x= bet (before adding the $100)
y= what you were down before the last bet

x + y = 240 or x = 240 - y
x - y + 100 = 0

substitute 240 - y for the x in the second formula

240 - y - y + 100 = 0
240 + 100 = y + y
340 = 2y
170 = y

So if you were down $170 and bet $70 then added the additional $100 and won you would have broken even. If you were down less than $170 then you would have won money. Down more than $170, you still would have owned him money. This is probably why he added the extra $100, he knew the worst he could do was break even.

Examples
Down 200, bet 40, add 100, still owe 60
Down 140, bet 100, add 100, win 60
Down 170, bet 70, add 100, break even

Hope this helps.

Nathan