PDA

View Full Version : Do people understand what " Double or nothing" is?

Cueless Joey
07-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Say your playing for a million dollars a set. Player A beats player B. Player B says, "double or nothing". A says OK. Player B lucks out and wins. He then claims A owes him a million dollars.
What??? It's double or NOTHING. Since B won, he gets NOTHING. If A won, he gets 2 million dollars not 3 million dollars. B claims he would have given A 3 million dollars had A won. How is that double???
My advice, never use this term in the pool hall. Take the money and put 'em in the lights. Hey, would 2 million dollars fit under the lights? LOL

Mr Ingrate
07-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Yah,

I hear people say that to me all the time when they are only one set down. All they are really doing is playing a second set for the same stakes as the first.

Double or nothing has no meaning unless there is a difference of 2 or more sets.

"Double the stakes" is an entirely different matter.

So the answer is ... NO. There are a lot of idiots out there who don't understand "double or nothing".

I ALWAYS point out when double or nothing is redundant and ask if they mean to double the stakes.

07-03-2002, 05:06 PM
player B is a lesson in what happens when one drops out of high school to pursue pool. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Double or nothing is what Rodney Dangerfield asked in Caddyshack on the final putt. It never did seem quite right.

jjinfla
07-03-2002, 08:38 PM
It must be the new math. Or the battery in his calculator died. jake

07-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Well, this is simple..

Play "it" for double or nothing agian.. As stated..
"Player B got lucky", so, you play again..

Then when you win, (player A that is) because luck is not a factor in big money pool..

Player B owes you a million..
Then double it again..

How could luck win 2 games of 4, so obviously Player A wins..
Then You are up 4 million...

Then you double that..

Then you lose on purpose by dogging the 8 into the side pocket, leaving B straight in nuts..

Player A owes a million..

This increases the odds exponentially..
Thus, Player A wins the next game, and is owed 5 million..

Thus, Player A is up, 8 million at the end of this set..

Double or nothing rules in nothing to do town..

cArson

Cueless Joey
07-03-2002, 11:23 PM
Carson,
Great idea but poolhall closes at 1 am.

07-04-2002, 12:24 AM
what a retarded post

cheesemouse
07-04-2002, 05:46 AM
dOwntOwn,
Your consistant, I'll give you that...I had a know it all friend like you and when he died they couldn't find six pallbearers to drag him to the worm hole...... Hehehehe!!!!!!

07-04-2002, 06:52 PM
He must not have had very big boobs... (I know d0wnt0wn gets it)

07-05-2002, 03:03 AM
lol lori

07-06-2002, 04:49 PM
i am beyond surprise. i use this bet often. lets say i play a single game for 10 dollars and win. if my opponent offers "double or nothing" it has always been a never contested understanding that if we play another game or set or whatever i will win 20 dollars if i win and my opponent, upon vicory will even the score evnen no bets owed. if i were to win double or nothings from that point on then the winnings are exponential and become large very fast. i play double or nothing often and logically by any measure this is the surest and most sound understanding of such a bet. i am beyond surprised thjat anyone could suggest otherwise. if a losing player were to pull a differant "view" of double of nothing i would feel cheated and angry. this has never happened. never once, tipsy or not, never have i met someone that understood such a bet differantly. i also strongly disagree that any such bet is worthy of ridicule or a "only dummies play that way" attitude. sure the first "double or nothing" is merely the same bet again..but by any proper reasonable measure any string of victories are increased by an exponent of two. string together 15 or 20 wins on a single 10 doller bet and you can look at life changing amounts of money..that is if your opponent can afford such. i do only play this bet though with close friends with non-monetary bets..or bar room braggarts that get angry in losing. as far as cash changing hands i've never played a braggart that let it get too out of hand or pocket.
best regards,
^v^

=k=
07-08-2002, 08:14 AM
duhhhh!! if i were player "a" i would be on some island with balmy breezes and not a care in the world.. lets see i have a million to start with (or i couldn't make the first bet.. i win a million from player "b" thats two million.. he would have to run like hell to catch me before i made it to this island... LOL