PDA

View Full Version : C-Span-JFK Library-Vietnam War, Iraq similarities

Gayle in MD
03-23-2006, 06:12 PM
C-Span is telecasting a forum including Al Haig, Ted Sorrensen, Jack Valente, Henry Kissinger, about the Vietnam War, what went wrong, and what was learned. The audience is participating, with questions, and it is very interesting. There are many similarities to Iraq, and our difficult situation with this war, addressed by the participants.

It is very informative, and will probably be repeated several times this week.

Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
03-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Give me a PM or a shout here if you see it coming on at a future time Gayle. Sid

Gayle in MD
03-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Will do. It is a commentary to how stupid it is to try to impose Democracy on a country or religious fanatics, or fail to recognize that any attempt to occupy a country where there are deep decades long divisions, religious, or otherwise, between opposing factions, is dumb, and can only fail. When there is a grass roots insurgency, you have the makings for a never ending war, which cannot be won militarily. This panel of wise, experienced, men of war, makes that very clear, and uses the lessons which were discarded by Bush and Company, to prove it. Anyone who says there are no similarities between Vietnam, and Iraq, isn't playing with a full deck!

Gayle...

Sid_Vicious
03-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Gayle,

I see it's on tonight at 8PM for me. Just thought I'd post for anyone wanting to see this objectively...sid

wolfdancer
03-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Gayle we didn't learn anything from our war with Viet Nam, a similiar insurgency battle (in my opinion) Russia had a long, expensive, non winning war with Afghanistan, before throwing in the towel.....and George the first did not want to commit us to an Iraq invasion....
When a government is overthrown, replaced there is a power struggle created by the void, throw in a complete new political/economic system....two opposing religious factions....and only GWB and cronies believe that the "good" will emerge victorious.
Look at the ethnic cleansing that occurred, once the USSR collapsed.
One would have to be a "true believer" to think that the democratric process will resolve Irag's problems in the near future.
Add in the changes to the balance of power situation in an explosive part of our little planet....and it might be "what hath God wrought".....God being represented here by one GWB.
Discussion here is useless.....just a lot of personal insults by the rude right...that never address the accusations against GWB....but hopefully these will be handled by a formal inquiry, and if the charges bandied about prove unfounded...I can accept that over any of the irrelevant statements posted here in support of his "agenda"
I don't even like to use that word, because it suggests to me of some sort of intelligent planning.....
Perhaps if dad had only let him play with GI Joe figures, as a child....we would not be in this mess. He would not still be envisioning himself as an action hero.