PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Bush Katrina Donation, has a catch!!!

Gayle in MD
03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Barbara Bush has made a generous donation to the Katrina victims, but it is earmarked, and for computer software only, which can ONLY be bought from her son's company, AH AH AH AH HA....guess nobody told her if your donation puts money in your family's pocket, it's not really a donation at all.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, LOL.

DebraLiStarr
03-24-2006, 06:40 PM
<font color="blue">I noticed that you neglected to link the original article - nor claim your source of information... this is what I found - If you read the entire article it tells a different story. It is not uncommon to specify where a donation is to go. I've done that myself. Regardless of who she paid to get the students this program, it is a program that has been widely used in the Houston schools - and the tax payers didnt have to foot the bill for it - Barbara Bush did. It was HER money being donated, she can do as she wants with it. This was NOT the entire amount of her donation, just a portion. The Bush's acknowledged that Neil Bush's COMPANY (not an individual) would benefit from this FROM THE START. They did not need the media to exploit it. Next time, read the whole thing. I've highlighted specific parts of the article in red to show that the Bush's made a press conference about this and it was never a "secret" of what she wanted done with that "portion" of the money- </font color>

Actual Article From Houston Chronicle (http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/3742329.html)
Article:

Former first lady's donation aids son
Katrina funds earmarked to pay for Neil Bush's software program

By CYNTHIA LEONOR GARZA
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Former first lady Barbara Bush donated an undisclosed amount of money to the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund with specific instructions that the money be spent with an educational software company owned by her son Neil.

Since then, the Ignite Learning program has been given to eight area schools that took in substantial numbers of Hurricane Katrina evacuees.

"Mrs. Bush wanted to do something specifically for education and specifically for the thousands of students flooding into the Houston schools," said Jean Becker, former President Bush's chief of staff. "She knew that HISD was using this software program, and she's very excited about this program, so she wanted to make it possible for them to expand the use of this program."

The former first lady plans to visit a Houston Independent School District campus using the Ignite program today to call on local business leaders to support schools and education.

The trip to Fleming Middle School is intended to showcase Bush's commitment to education for both Houston-area and New Orleans evacuee students, according to a press release issued Wednesday by Ignite.

Fleming, which has more than 170 New Orleans students, was one of eight area schools chosen by the Harris County Department of Education to receive a donated COW, or Curriculum on Wheels, multimedia program after Hurricane Katrina.

Neil Bush founded Austin-based Ignite Learning, which produces the COW program, in 1999.

<font color="red">Becker said she wasn't at liberty to divulge how much money the Bush family gave to the hurricane funds, but said the "rest of their donation was not earmarked for anything."

Nationally, some other donors also specified how they wanted their donations spent, Becker said.</font color>

For example, one man wanted his money to go to Habitat for Humanity but via the former presidents' fund. Nearly $1 million has been raised for the local fund and more than $120 million for the national.

Regarding the fact that Bush's earmarked donation also benefited her son's company, Becker said, "Mrs. Bush is obviously an enthusiastic supporter of her son. She is genuinely supportive of his program," and has received many letters from educators who support it. Bush "honestly felt this would be a great way to help the (evacuee) students."

Barbara and Neil Bush presented the <font color="red">donated </font color> programs to Houston-area schools this winter.

Districts that received the free curriculum include Houston, Alvin, Katy, Pearland and Spring and the New Orleans West charter school.

There are 40 Ignite programs being used in the Houston area, and 15 in the Houston school district, said Ken Leonard, president of Ignite.

Information about the effectiveness of the program, through district-generated reports, was not readily available Wednesday, according to an HISD spokeswoman.

Two years ago, the school district raised eyebrows when it expanded the program by relying heavily on private donations.

In February 2004, the Houston school board unanimously agreed to accept $115,000 in charitable donations from businesses and individuals who insisted the money be spent on Ignite. The money covered half the bill for the software, which cost $10,000 per school.

The deal raised conflict of interest concerns because Neil Bush and company officials helped solicit the donations for the HISD Foundation, a philanthropic group that raises money for the district.

HISD school principals decide for themselves whether to spend their budgeted money on Ignite.

Leonard said that in the past six to eight months, the company has hired national sales representatives across the country in Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia and Nevada in hopes of expanding beyond Texas. Currently, about 80 percent of the company's customers are from Texas.

Last year, Neil Bush reportedly toured former Soviet Union countries promoting Ignite with Russian tycoon Boris Berezovsky.

According to the Times of London, Berezovsky, a former Kremlin insider now living in Britain, is wanted on criminal charges in Moscow accusing him of seeking to stage a coup against President Vladimir Putin.

<font color="red">The purpose of today's event is to showcase everyone's efforts in helping the hurricane evacuee students who ended up in Houston, Leonard said.

"We have a role, but we're not the leader in this," Leonard said. He also acknowledged that his company will benefit from the former first lady's visit.</font color>

Barbara Bush is expected to observe both teachers and students using the Ignite Learning program while touring classrooms, according to the Ignite press release.

During a short reception, teachers and students will give testimonials about the program and Bush will "encourage community business leaders to have a stronger presence in supporting schools and education," the press release said.

The free-standing instructional tools that are not dependent on the Internet. They include a built-in computer, projector and speakers and come pre-loaded with science and social studies courses.

Debra Li

pooltchr
03-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Gayle,
Once again, you have just shown how your hatred for the Bush family will allow you to twist anything they do into something wrong.
Let's take a look here...
Suppose she had just gone to her son's company and bought this software, then gave it to the school systems down there. What would be the difference?
She paid for it.
The schools got it.
The children benefit from it.
Her son's business makes some money (From his MOTHER!)
Taxpayers pay nothing.
Obviously another evil right wing conspiracy!!!

As we say down here in the south..."That dog don't hunt!!"
I will give you credit for your creative approach to try anything you can find that in your closed little mind might make the Bush family look bad. But this isn't it!
I know you will keep trying.
Steve

Gayle in MD
03-25-2006, 10:36 AM
"Today we learned of Barbara Bush's generous tax deductable contribution to the victims of Katrina, earmarked for ONLY her son's software company, for who can forget the vicim's on the rooftops holding up signs saying, "Send Computer Software now!" And who do we find is behind the financing for Barbara's son Neil's computer software company, The United Arab Emerites, the same company who tried to take over our port security. We knew that the Bush's were trying to screw over the Katrina victims with their tax deductable contribution, but it didn't make sense, until we learned there was a Sheik involved."

Bill Maher....

LMAO!

Gayle in Md.
Proud I didn't vote for George Bush!!!

DebraLiStarr
03-25-2006, 10:55 AM
My Katrina donation was also tax deductable. All donations are. Glad to see where you get all of your information from. Keep up the good work.

Debra Li

pooltchr
03-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Interesting. When you talk about Iraq, you argue that the schools were destroyed and the poor children can't get the education they should get. In New Orleans, someone tries to help give the schools the necessary tools to get back to the business of education, and that isn't good enough for you either.
If I make a contribution to the United Way, and designate my contribution to go to the American Cancer Society, does that mean I'm attaching strings to the donation?
Maybe they have seen how cash contributions end up helping those who don't need help, and decided to make sure their donation was actually going to get where it was needed.
The background of the company involved has NOTHING to do with the charitable contribution. The lady wrote a check, and the schools get software. How simple does it have to be for you to understand?
Steve

Deeman3
03-27-2006, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
Bill Maher....

<font color="blue"> And she wonders why we get our news from Fox. Now we know where she gets hers... </font color>

Deeman
Proud she didn't vote for George Bush as well....

Gayle in Md.
Proud I didn't vote for George Bush!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Nice try...but most of my opinions evolve from books, and author lectures, not television, although I must say that John Daly, and Bill Maher, do contribute to my ability to laugh about Bush's destruction of our country and Constitution, once in a while.

My television news comes solely from the sunday news shows, Meet The Press, Face The Nation, Washington Week In REview, LIVE C-Span, Chris Mathews, and Lou Dobbs. Why not turn them on, once in a while? It certainly couldn't hurt!

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
03-27-2006, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Nice try...but most of my opinions evolve from books, and author lectures, not television, although I must say that John Daly, and Bill Maher, do contribute to my ability to laugh about Bush's destruction of our country and Constitution, once in a while.

My television news comes solely from the sunday news shows, Meet The Press, Face The Nation, Washington Week In REview, LIVE C-Span, Chris Mathews, and Lou Dobbs. Why not turn them on, once in a while? It certainly couldn't hurt!

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> While I do on occasion watch a Sunday news program or two, I much prefer getting out on a Sunday and poluting the environment on my bike or taking my wife to let her ride her horse. Life is much too short to sit around and watch the pundits on TV when you can be out creating news or at least enjoying the effects of global warming.</font color>

Deeman

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 08:39 AM
...Ever heard on T-VO????? or digital DVR service? VCR?

This is not time to neglect current events. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deeman3
03-27-2006, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> ...Ever heard on T-VO????? or digital DVR service? VCR?

This is not time to neglect current events. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> But Gayle, why would we even need to record these shows, we have you to keep us abreast of what's going on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Deeman

eg8r
03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ever heard on T-VO????? <hr /></blockquote> Nope, sounds like the nickname of a well-paid athlete. Have you ever heard of Tivo?

eg8r

DickLeonard
03-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Gayle I really think they need schools and infra structure rebuilt before they need software donated especially by anyone with the name Bush####

wolfdancer
03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Why would they bother with all those liberal media shows, when there is tv/evangelist/political commentator/defender of the right...Crazy Bill O'Reilly

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Ditto! George Bush isn't happy unless he's getting over on somebody, guess his mother's no different! All that money, and she's gotta make a donation that will put money in her son's pocket, and in the pockets of her wealthy Arab contributors to the Bush family fortune, and then take a tax deduction! What a skank!

Gayle in Md.
Proud that I didn't vote for George Bush!

Gayle in Md.
Proud that I didn't vote for George Bush!

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
More and more people are referring to the Fox channel as the republican propaganda channel! And O'Reiley, what a total pompus, arrogant, rude hypocrit! All his attacks against Clinton, then he goes out and sexually harrasses his young producer! She had it all on tape, too, and fox had to pay off big time, just like they did Al Franken, for titling his book, Lies, and the lying liars who tell them with Bill O'Reiley's picture on the cover, AH AH HA HA, I've seen so many journalist show out-takes from his show and prove him a liar, it's no wonder he appeals to the same types who take George Bush's word as truth!

Gayle in Md.
SOOOOOOOOOO Proud that I didn't vote for George Bush!

DickLeonard
03-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Gayle when did Neil get out of jail? Or didn't he get prosecuted. I thought I read where someone was defrauded. I'll have to google him to find out.####

DebraLiStarr
03-27-2006, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Gayle when did Neil get out of jail? Or didn't he get prosecuted. I thought I read where someone was defrauded. I'll have to google him to find out.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick - I found this on Wikipedia and I have verified this with other sources as well - its pretty accurate -

RE: Neil Bush
<font color="blue">He was on the board of directors of Silverado Savings and Loan during the 1980s. His father was Vice President at the time, so Bush's role was a focal point of publicity. The savings and loan crisis cost the taxpayers billions of dollars, of which Silverado's failure accounted for roughly $1 billion. There was considerable criticism of Bush's role in the failure of the company. In the end Bush was not indicted, and no criminal charges were pressed against him. However a civil action was brought against him and the other Silverado directors by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and was eventually settled out of court. Bush was fined $50,000 as a consequence of his actions and he was restricted from undertaking future banking activity. </font color>

Debra Li

DickLeonard
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Debra you have to Google Neil Bush with your business acumen you should be able to strike it rich especially getting a million dollar SBA loan with $3000 dollars of your money. ####