PDA

View Full Version : List of "Major" Tournaments

kevinkins
03-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Golf has 4 well known majors. I am new to following pool. Is there a list that someone can post. I get the feeling there are majors associated with 9 ball, 8 ball, 14.1 and snooker etc..

Kevin

Deeman3
03-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Kevin,

There are no official "majors" in pool. However, some tournaments are bigger than the others.

U.S Open

World Pool Championships

Derby City Calssic

and now, maybe, the King of the Hill

Perhaps everyone can comment on which ones they would include in a count of majors.

Deeman

Nostroke
03-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Some would add the BCA-Not sure I'd be one of them but it is a notch above most tournaments. Reno might be considered also.

McKinneyMiner
03-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure about the other games, but for 9-ball I would say it is:

U.S. Open
World Pool Championships
Derby City Classic
Glass City Open

With the proliferation of regional tours in recent years the idea of a "major" tournament is kind of dying.

I guess the U.S. Open will always be "THE" major of 9-ball.

Fran Crimi
03-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Good question.

I was always under the impression that the majors offered more prize money than the other events. Is that true in golf and tennis or am I wrong about that? What else classifies a tournament as a major? Is there something different about the format?

Fran

McKinneyMiner
03-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Fran...

At least in golf the 4 majors are not the richest tournaments in the sport. They pay well, but are not the highest paying.

As for format I know that each of them is governed by a committee that dictates playing conditions, etc. In the case of the PGA it is the PGA, US Open - USGA, British Open - Royal and Ancient, Masters - Augusta National

Each one of these tournaments is also a closed field. You either have to be invited or qualify to enter.

Isn't the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship an open event?

I would say that a mjor tournament is one that pretty much all of the top players enter, the conditions are tough and the prize money is high.

Brian in VA
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I have to jump in here. The US Open Golf tournament is an open event in that anyone with a certain handicap may play. They qualify to reduce to field to a manageable level of 165 players at the national event. The British Open is also an open championship. The Masters is an invitational and the PGA is only open to members of the Professional Golfers Association of the US.

The US Open 9 Ball championships are open as well. They don't need qualifiers or regional events because they don't always have a full field.

Fran, the 4 golf majors have more to do with prestige and quality of field than the money. Fact is, those guys play for so much money, they aren't even counting it. Wish pool was like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA

McKinneyMiner
03-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Brian...

The U.S. Open (minimum 1.4 HI) is open to anyone who wants to try and qualify (2 stages). They can't just pay an entry and get in the tournament.

The U.S. Open 9-Ball just requires you to pay the entry. Now maybe that is because the field is never full, but right now I can enter the field for the U.S. Open 9-Ball just by paying and I would need to qualify for the U.S. Open golf.

Brian in VA
03-28-2006, 06:03 AM
I think we're in vehement agreement! The USGA considers anyone that pays the entry fee and plays in a local qualifier to have competed in the US Open. Last year there were just under 10,000 participants. And, yes, the US Open 9 Ball championships don't have qualifiers because it doesn't appear that they've needed them.

Brian in VA - used to have an index low enough to enter...

Fran Crimi
03-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. At the WPBA we've tossed around the idea of Majors and Grand Slams from time to time but it gets a bit complicated, as we don't want to cut out the other events as being undesirable to potential sponsors, as the market is small for sponsorship to begin with.

Fran

Lester
03-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Brian_in_Va wrote: The US Open 9 Ball championships are open as well. They don't need qualifiers or regional events because they don't always have a full field.

So Brian, you gonna play in the 9-ball Open this year?

Brian in VA
03-29-2006, 06:18 AM
I seriously doubt it. My game is nowhere near that level. I must admit, I'm tempted to play just for the experience. A friend of mine has and his game is comparable to my own and he said it was a blast. I'm finally getting a table in my home this summer and will finally get enough practice time to have no excuses. Maybe I should. I'll let you know! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brian in VA