PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic fad...!

tjlmbklr
03-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Phenolic fad...!

Ok Phenolic is the sh*t I know this because I trust what my fellow posters say. This is why I am here, for advice. So, I know that the discussion of what is better "lighter or heavier for breaking" has been tossed around quite a bit so here, we go again. Well with the added power due to the Phenolic craze, can (should) a heavier cue be used as apposed to a lighter (for speed)? The reason I ask is I am still learning control, trust me I have had my share of mis-cues on the break, and I am aware that with the Phenolic tips it is imperative to get a controlled center ball hit on the break. I have always gone lighter on most of my break cue for speed. Now keep in mind I yet to experience Phenolic in all its glory; once again I trust all of your opinions. So I guess I'll get to the point I want as powerful of a break with little effort, and to be able to control the tips impact on the cue when I release. I have read previous post on all different types of break cues on the market and decided to go with a middle of the road (price wise) and found the FURY J/B is where I stand for my decision. Ebay has a ton for sale. I am not sure what weight to go with. Also keep in mind that in the past I have always done what I like to refer as " Cue demotion" when I buy a new playing cue I demote the old one to my Break cue and usually just have the local billiard shop put a hard leather tip on it. So as you can see I am looking forward to trying something different.

Any useful advice would be appreciated.

ceebee
03-25-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm not a fan of phenolic use on Break Cues, because there are some break shots that require some spin on the Cue Ball. I'm not a fan of Jump/Break Cues either, because I like specific tools for specific jobs.

I like a 19 oz Break Cue & I play with a 19 oz Play Cue. Great speed isn't the key to success in the Break Shot, Accuracy & Contol of Whitey are the keys to success in this arena.

Each time we've had Break Shot Contests, we notice a pattern. We start out with moderate speed & Cue Ball control as the criteria for winning the contest. The players all do fairly well. As soon as we break out the Radar Gun... all hell breaks loose & anyone within range is susceptible to being hit with a flying Cue Ball.

tjlmbklr
03-25-2006, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> As soon as we break out the Radar Gun... all hell breaks loose &amp; anyone within range is susceptible to being hit with a flying Cue Ball.
</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Just out of curiosity, what is the fastest break speed you have seen.

Rich R.
03-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm far from an expert, so what I say is from my own limited experience.

I don't believe phenolic does much, if anything for your break. I believe the strong point of using phenolic is for jumping.

You will get just as much power and a lot more control by using a hard leather tip.

If you can't jump a ball using a leather tip, I guarantee you will be able to jump using a phenolic tip.

Personally, I choose not to carry a dedicated jump cue, so I normally use a j/b with phenolic tip. However, in situations when jump cues, or broken down j/b cues, are not allowed, I also have another break cue with a leather tip, I use for more contol.

Leviathan
03-26-2006, 06:02 AM
'Lo, tj:

If you go with a phenolic tip as a learner, the tip's sensitivity may just cause you to cramp your stroke. If you haven't yet developed very good control with a leather tip, but you're hellbent on going phenolic, then I guess there's some logic in substituting cue weight for cue speed as you suggest.

However, I think you'd be smarter to forget about phenolic tips for the present and focus on improving your break stroke. Any 18 oz. cue with a fairly powerful shaft taper and a hard leather tip will break great if you've got a good stroke, and no cue will break well if you don't. Bear in mind that the players who make the phenolic-tipped cues look good--Souquet and Gulyassy, for example--broke a ton when they were using cues with leather tips.

AS

tjlmbklr
03-26-2006, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> If you go with a phenolic tip as a learner, the tip's sensitivity may just cause you to cramp your stroke.
</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Good point, my main focus is I want to get a jump cue. Surprisingly I am a decent jumper even with a playing cue (all though it is very tough and hard on a Predator Ferrule). So guess I just want a J/B cue that does the best of both worlds, and if I have to force myself in the process to learn control on the break, then let it be knwn I will start focusing more on this part of my game.

I am not a consistant Break-n-Run player but I have done most of my runs with the help of having 2-3 balls on the break. So I guess one will get better with the other; hopefully...!

Thanx to everyone for there suggestions.

glowworm
03-27-2006, 02:45 PM
I am a good breaker of the balls and have used everything from a 16 oz to a 24 oz cue with the same results, balls flying everywhere. The only real trick to the mysterious break shoot is to hit the head ball squarely each and every time. I don't worry to much about the type of tip I have I just concentrate on hitting the balls squarely.

SPetty
03-29-2006, 04:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr>Surprisingly, I am a decent jumper even with a playing cue (although it is very tough and hard on a Predator ferrule). <hr /></blockquote>Howdy tjlmbklr,

What do you mean by this? How is jumping hard on the Predator ferrule? I mean, how do you know that?

tjlmbklr
03-30-2006, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr>Surprisingly, I am a decent jumper even with a playing cue (although it is very tough and hard on a Predator ferrule). <hr /></blockquote>Howdy tjlmbklr,

What do you mean by this? How is jumping hard on the Predator ferrule? I mean, how do you know that? <hr /></blockquote>
I only know from what I've learned here about the integrity of the Predators use on break shots and jumps due to the soft ferrules. I heard they can't take the constant abuse of these kind of hits.