PDA

View Full Version : Christian 'Conception' Parties Raise Ire/ Eyebrows

SnakebyteXX
03-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Christian 'Conception' Parties Raise Ire, Eyebrows

Thousands of Christian couples plan to celebrate the occasion of their savior's creation by attending 'conception parties' this weekend, intimate gatherings where the conception of the world's most famous baby is lovingly reenacted. Fans of the pro-life parties say that theirs is a way of livening up the culture of life. But some Christians say that they're uncomfortable celebrating the pregnancy of a teenage girl, even if the father was a heavenly one.

Let's party like it's 4 BC

By Cole Walters

FORT WORTH, TX—While the vast majority of Christians in the US will spend this weekend marking a tragedy—the crucifixion of Jesus Christ upon the cross on Easter Sunday—a small but determined minority plans to celebrate their savior with a bang. Against a backdrop of farmland, city streets, even mountain vistas, this merry band will spend tonight marking not Christ's death, but his conception.

They're called 'conception parties,' intimate gatherings where creation of the world's most famous baby is lovingly—and literally—recreated. And for a few lucky couples, the event will pay off in a big way. Since the biblical bashes burst onto the scene just five years ago, 13 couples have gotten pregnant as a result of attending the gatherings. Two of the lucky mothers went on to have children—both girls—who share Christ's December birthday.

A celebration of life
"It's just a lot of fun," says Fort Worth resident and party host Earl Silos. "We'll bake a ham, put out bowls of macaroni salad and potato salad. People can relax a little, take a load off." He says that he's expecting 25 married couples to attend tonight's festivities. Marriage is a condition of attendance, says Silos, who advertised the event at his church, on local Christian message boards and on telephone poles in his neighborhood.

Silos says that he got the idea from his brother-in-law, who has hosted a conception party in Pascagoula, MS, since 1999. Today, notes Silos, his brother-in-law's annual March 25th bash attracts upwards of 100 people, including many town notables. "He does it up with a deep-fried turkey, the whole she-bang. We're a little less fancy around here," notes Silos. "We keep most of the attention on the main event."

Christian critics
But not everyone is enamored of the idea of celebrating Christ's conception—especially in the form of physical reenactments that even participants admit can get out of hand. Some Christians say that they're reluctant to shine a spotlight on the event's surrounding Mary's pregnancy. Christ's mother was only a teenager, after all, and according to Matthew, a friend of the couple, was not actually married to Joseph. "When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost," Matthew wrote in a tell-all account.

If Matthew's version is correct, Mary's actions would contradict the teachings of many abstinence-only education programs, which encourage women to remain pure virgins until their wedding nights.

A down hill slide?
For critics, the new popularity of conception parties is a disturbing reminder of their faith's pagan past. Among social conservatives there is also mounting concern that their iron grip on cultural discipline is already beginning to loosen. This past year, Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, a practicing Mormon and a likely republican presidential candidate in 2008, raised eyebrows with his statement that "marriage should be between a man and a woman…and a woman, and a woman."

But for thousands of Christians who plan to don party dresses and suit jackets, tonight's parties represent nothing more than a chance to celebrate one of history's most magical moments. "Obviously none of us is going to be lucky enough to get pregnant by Him," says Earl Silos' wife Carol. "So this is the next best thing. We're celebrating what turned out to be the biggest night of Mary's life."

web page (http://swiftreport.blogs.com/news/2006/03/christian_conce.html)

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Is it any wonder that we have someone like George Bush in office? Fifty percent of those who voted for him in the 04 election interpret the bible, LITERALLY! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
03-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Is it any wonder you will celebrate tolerance of a faith that will cut off people's heads, beat and rape their in-laws and suppress their women's rights but look down on a few people celebrating their faith in a peaceful manner that hurts noone? I do remember when feminists actually stood up for women's rights regardless of their political affiliation but now, you get a pass from them if you just are in a different political boat than GWB. Things have changed a lot in 40 years.

Deeman
Where's her 3 page diatribe about Muslims women's rights? I missed it I guess.....Marys a bigger threat

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 07:30 AM
You can save the tirade, I don't celebrate ANY organized religion, nor do I defend any organization political, or otherwise which endeavors to dictate, control or otherwise abuse and discriminate against women, people of color, homosexuals, discrimination and abuse in general.

This mentality, which lumps those who are against George Bush, and/or the war in Iraq, as being for terrorists, or for human violence of any kind, is about as ignorant as the mentality of those who interpret the bible, literally.

It doesn't fly. The bible, and the books of religious philosophies of other religions, were the original ground work of the sexist persecutions of women, and of retalitorial violence, man against man, therefore, I do not support any of them.

Nice try...

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
03-27-2006, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> The bible, and the books of religious philosophies of other religions, were the original ground work of the sexist persecutions of women, and of retalitorial violence, man against man, therefore, I do not support any of them.

Nice try...

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> No, but the only faith you ever say anything negative about is Christianity..... </font color>

Deeman

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Maybe that's because there are no Radical Muslims who post on the CCB? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gayle in Md.

Fran Crimi
03-27-2006, 07:56 AM
<font color="blue"> I don't like when people intentionally try to set others up trying to make fools out of them. You crossed the line here. Just because you cited the webpage, it doesn't justify your intentions. I had to do some digging to find this was a spoof news site. Shame on you.</font color>

ALEX BEAM
A Swift kick: phony news hits home
By Alex Beam, Globe Columnist | May 12, 2005

As a sucker who once fell for an Internet hoax --in retrospect, the fluttering North Korean flag in the corner of the ''Stalinist" website I wrote about in 2002 should have tipped me off -- I ought to sympathize with Rush Limbaugh, the Drudge Report, MSNBC, and others who have reported on phony news emanating from the Swift Report website (swiftreport.blogs.com).

Just last week Swift got plenty of traction from a phony press release issued by the ''Coalition for Traditional Values," which decried the racy allusions in Laura Bush's speech to the White House Correspondents' Association. The super-serious and very real Traditional Values Coalition (''Empowering People of Faith Through Knowledge") wasn't amused. ''TVC Victimized by Phony Press Release Criticizing First Lady Laura Bush," the Washington-based lobbying organization contended.

Poor dears. Don't they know the Golden Rule of the digital age? On the Internet, no one can hear you lying.

The Swift Report flows mainly from the pen of Arlington's own Jennifer Berkshire. Ms. B is a freelance journalist who has been plowing the fertile ground of fake news with her Chicago-based Web partner, Matt Howard, since November. Berkshire writes under the nom de plume ''Deanna Swift," the fictional wife of Jonathan Swift, himself something of a wit and hoaxster in the pre-Internet era.

As recently as 1984, some audience members walked out of a reading of Swift's ''A Modest Proposal," his famous 1729 essay suggesting that Ireland's overpopulation and undernourishment might best be addressed by eating babies.

In addition to the cruel hoax perpetrated on the TVC, the Swift Report made headlines in March when it announced that the Rapture -- the putative moment when good Christians will be taken up into heaven -- ''may have happened earlier this month" at the Spring Hill Baptist Church in Kansas. (This followed an earlier Swift Report revelation: ''White House Exploring Rapture Contingency Plans.") Let's just say they are lucky that the very real Rev. Steve Satterfield, pastor of the real, not particularly Rapture-driven Spring Hill Baptist Church, has a sense of humor. ''I think it's pretty humorous," says Satterfield, ''and we did get a retraction."

Well, sort of. The problem with fake news sites is that their fake ombudsmen publish fake retractions. ''After receiving hundreds of complaints from outraged readers who'd been 'left behind,' an editorial investigation determined that the Swift Report had failed to follow basic journalistic principles in the preparation and reporting of the piece," the non-retraction read.

Berkshire's next order of business? Making money, obviously. For the moment, the site is advertising-free, although not by design. You can buy Swift Report paraphernalia (''Be American. Buy Stuff") off of the site, and Berkshire reports that items have been selling briskly: ''Our relatives have been especially generous."

Intelligent design
High-level business at the World's Greatest University: Alan Altshuler, the new dean of Harvard's, um, Design School, tackled a ''key agenda item" at the April faculty meeting -- the school's name. I had always thought it was called the Graduate School of Design, but apparently there was some ''nomenclature drift" under Altshuler's predecessor, Peter Rowe, who allowed GSD to be called the Harvard Design School.

''Having heard from numerous quarters that this situation was quite confusing, I asked whether the faculty found it so," Altshuler reported in a memo to the professorate. ''We then turned to the question of which [name]. I offered to appoint a committee, but it appeared that most people had clear views and preferred to vote. . . . The vote was lopsided in favor of Graduate School of Design."

I phoned Altshuler's office to find out who would be running the gajillion sheets of HDS stationery through the shredder (to say nothing of rejiggering the website), but as of this writing, no one has gotten back to me.

Alex Beam is a Globe columnist. His e-dress is beam@globe.com.

© Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

eg8r
03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's because there are no Radical Muslims who post on the CCB? <hr /></blockquote> W doesn't post here either, does that mean you will change your posting habits? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
03-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Fran,

Well, at least Bill Maher is sometimes funny. They spend so much time watching the "mainstream" news and now they can't tell the difference in those and comedy sites!

Perhaps, therein lies the problem.

Deeman
Gaylw will now quote Groucho Marx as a news source.

Gayle in MD
03-27-2006, 09:29 AM
It wouldn't matter whom I quoted, unless it supports you own opinions, or those of your republican cronies on here, your collective, oh so intelligent, insults would follow. What could one expect from the audience of the Republican Propaganda network...faux news!

The information on UAE, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, and their collective connections to George Bush and family have been well documented, and are readily available through many sources, Books, documentaries, etc., however, Bill's take on it is certainly more humorous....although one could also investigate the secret meetings between Dick Cheney and the Oil Corporations.

Gayle in Md.
Proud I didn't vote for George Bush!

Drop1
03-27-2006, 12:45 PM
According to my poll,one hundred percent of them never read the Bible,and don't know what LITERALLY is,accept a day set aside to TP the neighbors house. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif