PDA

View Full Version : tom ross article in last BD

yegon
03-26-2006, 01:15 AM
I tried the shot from the Tom Ross Referecne shots article in the last issue of BD. When I set it up I can never get the cue ball follow the line as shown. I can make it when I put the object ball about one and a half balls off the rail but not from the position shown in the picture.

Is my stroke really so bad or is the picture not realistic? Has anyone tried it?

jtlabs
03-26-2006, 06:23 AM
By any chance do you think you can describe the shot? Use cuetable.com /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,
Jay

yegon
03-26-2006, 07:32 AM
this is it

http://CueTable.com/P/?#3AayQ3POmq3TPDo2phpg3kOmq3kapy3kbnt1kaii1kSIm#

PoolSharkAllen
03-26-2006, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I tried the shot from the Tom Ross Referecne shots article in the last issue of BD. When I set it up I can never get the cue ball follow the line as shown. I can make it when I put the object ball about one and a half balls off the rail but not from the position shown in the picture.

Is my stroke really so bad or is the picture not realistic? Has anyone tried it? <hr /></blockquote>

I presume you're using a low right, medium speed stroke?

yegon
03-26-2006, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr>
I presume you're using a low right, medium speed stroke? <hr /></blockquote>

yes I am

Scott Lee
03-26-2006, 09:01 AM
yegon...You're shooting too much speed. In the article Ross specifically states that the speed of the stroke is what makes the CB return on that line. This can often be accomplished with a center-right smooth stroke. Draw is not always necessary. I also believe the diagram is a little off (not unusual for BD). The OB should be more like 1/2 to a full ball off of the cushion, for this shot to work easily, at the 45 degree angle cut that is shown. With less of an angle, the OB can be closer to the rail, and the CB can still come back on that line. jmo

Scott Lee

yegon
03-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I was trying even soft speed but was unable to get the angle shown in the illustration. If I set the object ball further from the rail it works, but I was curious if it was my not being good enough that caused me to fail with the cueball so close to the rail or if it was just drawn unrealistically in the magazine.

Scott Lee
03-26-2006, 04:02 PM
yegon...Not being able to actually see your stroke, I'm inclined to say it's maybe a little bit of both. The CB can come back at the illustrated angle, if the CB is only an inch from the rail, with the proper stroke. If the OB is frozen (or nearly), there's NO way you'll get that return angle, regardless of how good your stroke is. It not rare for the magazine drawings to get the placement of balls somewhat off.

Scott Lee

yegon
03-26-2006, 11:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> yegon...Not being able to actually see your stroke, I'm inclined to say it's maybe a little bit of both. The CB can come back at the illustrated angle, if the CB is only an inch from the rail, with the proper stroke. If the OB is frozen (or nearly), there's NO way you'll get that return angle, regardless of how good your stroke is. It not rare for the magazine drawings to get the placement of balls somewhat off.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

I thought so, I just wanted to be sure. I am not a very good player and I know I have much to improve in my stroke I just did not want to waste my time trying to learn something that is impossible /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now that I know it can be done I will start with the object ball 4 inches off the cushion and work my way up cutting down the distance.

I'd like to go to the US this year to take some lessons. I am mainly interested in learning to stroke the ball properly and I did not find anyone in europe who takes strokework so seriously as you guys in the US.

PoolSharkAllen
03-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Yegon, Perhaps you already know this but if you don't, there is a poison shot here with the object ball being two diamonds away from the side pocket. If you're not careful, you can scratch in the opposite side pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry
03-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Yegon, I just shot each shot a few times on my table ( the OB one inch from the rail and the OB frozen to the rail ) I had no problem shooting the shot with the OB one inch from the rail and hitting the second diamond past the side pocket but with the OB frozen to the rail I was able to get it one diamond past the side pocket but not two diamonds past, try putting the CB closer to the OB and shoot soft. Terry

Tom_Ross
04-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Hello Yegon,
Tom Ross here. Because my aim is to help players improve, messages like yours can be very upsetting. After looking at the article in print and my original drawing, I must agree with the advice of another forum reader and urge you to adjust the setup for the shot. Any time you are reading instruction accompanied by an illustration, please remember the problems associated with trying to depict some shots accurately with a two-dimensional drawing. My worst fear is that someone will attempt a shot of mine and then become discouraged with the result. Always feel free to change things around, even drastically if necessary, until you have reproduced the shot in spirit. In this case my original drawing appears so much larger on my monitor that I can see adequate distance between the ball and cushion. In print however the ball appears frozen or nearly frozen to the cushion, which adds considerable difficulty to the shot. Thank you for taking the time to point this out and please feel free to email me with any questions at:
mamooch@comcast.net
Thanks again and have a great day.
yours,
Tom Ross