PDA

View Full Version : Predator SPW balance point

07-03-2002, 11:41 PM
Does anyone own a Predator SPW here? I'd like to know how many inches is the balance point from the bottom of the bumper. If so, can you specify the shaft diameter and weight of the cue you own? I'm planning to buy one and need to find some info about it. Would appreciate it. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Cueless Joey
07-04-2002, 12:12 AM
Harold, get your caliper, tape measure and medical grade weight scale ready. LOL

07-04-2002, 01:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Harold, get your caliper, tape measure and medical grade weight scale ready. LOL <hr></blockquote>

U r really clueless when it comes to someone asking a decent question.

07-04-2002, 01:01 AM
sorry joey but i don't find it funny.

07-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Here's an added question about the balance point.
Am I supposed to grip the cue with my rear hand at this balance point?
I just grip the cue wherever it feels natural for the shot I'm trying to make. I never made an intentional effort to grip the cue right at the balance point.

SPetty
07-04-2002, 07:30 AM
I played with the balance point of both the SPW and the SPJ while looking at them at the store once. The balance point of the SPJ was more forward than that of the SPW.

You can order the cue in the weight of your choice.

The predator shaft does not come in different diameters.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-04-2002, 07:39 AM
Eddie,
Most of us find the correct spot to grip the cue, just like you.
The balance spot is measured two different ways, from the joint back, or from the butt end forward.

Where you place your hand on the butt of the cue us usually about 8 inches from the balance point. Beginners need to learn this as a matter of basics.

Harold Acosta
07-04-2002, 10:03 AM
Clueless Joey:

Your post was uncalled for, particularly since I am not PoolG and I always post with my name.

Harold ~ just can't believe some of you people...

07-04-2002, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PoolG:</font><hr> sorry joey but i don't find it funny. <hr></blockquote>
stick around, it'll get better! LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
You can't really blame Joey, it was inevitable that someone would say something!
As for balance points, on both my Predators the balance is about 5-6 inches behind the joint. The BK is balanced further back than that.

07-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Lorri. If you don't mind what's ur cue weight?

07-04-2002, 06:23 PM
My playing cue is 17oz. My break cue is 20oz.

Q-guy
07-04-2002, 06:25 PM
Are you sure about that balance point. 5 or 6 inches behind the joint would on a 58 inch cue, put the balance point at 23 or 24 inches from the butt. This is very front heavy.

07-04-2002, 06:28 PM
Reasonably sure, but then, I've been wrong before! LOL Next time I go downstairs, I'll check it. That may take a while though, as I'm several hours behind on my napping!

Q-guy
07-04-2002, 09:12 PM
You can check the balance point by laying the cue across a pencil on a table top. Then just measure it. In another post you said you play with a 17 ounce cue. With a cue that light you may not feel the balance point quite so much. A cue that light may also have a balance point that far forward due to the light weight. Have you ever tried playing with a cue a little heaver?

07-04-2002, 09:20 PM
Hi qGuy,
I have been struggling with rheumatoid arthritis for the past fourteen years. Although I could bench press my weight before I got sick, I now find holding out my arms in front of me for more than ten seconds to be challenging. I used to play with a 19 oz. cue, but after the first hour my arm would feel like a lead weight. With my new cue I can play Dr. D's 8 hour marathon sessions and not hear any complaints from my arm. (My legs are another story /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

07-06-2002, 08:29 PM
Is the Predator SPW forward balance or rear balance in general. Let's say an 18.25 oz weight?

07-06-2002, 10:43 PM
A clarification:
I apologize, I gave you the wrong info. My Predator2 weighs in at 16.33 ounces. The guys at Predator put a lot of effort and time into getting it down to a weight I could play with comfortably. The balance point is 6" behind the joint, resulting in a cue that feels neither front nor rear heavy. You should have heard the laughter when I ordered the break cue at a whopping 20 oz.!

07-07-2002, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> A clarification:
I apologize, I gave you the wrong info. My Predator2 weighs in at 16.33 ounces. The guys at Predator put a lot of effort and time into getting it down to a weight I could play with comfortably. The balance point is 6" behind the joint, resulting in a cue that feels neither front nor rear heavy. You should have heard the laughter when I ordered the break cue at a whopping 20 oz.! <hr></blockquote>

I thought you have a Predator SPW. The thread's title is about the Predator SPW, so you have the Predator2 then? Oh OK. The balance point is different is no the same with the Predator SPW and Predator2 so it doesn't matter then.

07-08-2002, 08:12 PM
I don't think the difference is going to be terribly dramatic, so I just responded. As a general rule, the lighter the cue, the further foward (toward the tip) the balance point is going to travel. The wood joint is lighter than the metal, but not hugely so.

Michelle
07-09-2002, 05:07 PM
Really, the balance point should not be the determination on where you grip your cue. The place where you grip your cue is going to change for different shots, depending on where your bridge hand is.

When you set up for a normal shot, where your bridge hand is your "normal" distance from the cue ball, and your cuetip is as close to the Cb as possible, let go of the cue stick with your grip hand and let it just "fall" to a relaxed position, then grip the cue again. Your forearm should be perpendicular to the ground. The importance of this is that when you stroke, your stick will be level when you hit the ball because it will be at the exact middle of the pendulum.

Now, when you lenghthen your bridge hand from the CB (for a speed shot, for instance) or shorten it (a finesse shot) your grip hand should move forward or backward accordingly, so that your forarm is always perp. to the ground and your cue is always level when you hit the CB.

As far as the balance point on the SPW, I measured it at around 18 inches on a cue that was just under 18 oz. But remember that will vary slightly on the natural weight of the cue and how big or small of a weight bolt is in it.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Michelle,
You are correct for average to advanced players. Your skill level allows you to adjust accordingly for all the different types of shots.

Beginners need to be aware of the 'balance' point as a reference for setting up bridge and grip hand positions, for a proper approach to as many shots as possible. Adjustments will come in time, like I am sure yours have.

Good point.. thanks for allowing me to add more my previous reply.

Alfie
07-09-2002, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Michelle,
You are correct for average to advanced players. Your skill level allows you to adjust accordingly for all the different types of shots.

Beginners need to be aware of the 'balance' point as a reference for setting up bridge and grip hand positions, for a proper approach to as many shots as possible. Adjustments will come in time, like I am sure yours have.
<hr></blockquote> Tom, I tend to agree here with Michelle even for beginners. Hand placement is independent of balance point. It's all about the nature of the shot and the size of your skeleton. That is for adults. When you say beginners are you talking about children?

IMO