PDA

View Full Version : Question about sealing a cue.

KwwFuryNr08
03-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey everyone, first I'd like to thank everyone for your input in my last post, its good to have experts to ask. My question is...is it ok to have my cue sealed by a cue repair man. The guy at one of the halls I shoot at says he will sand and seal my cue. He let me feel another cue that has had it done and it slides awesome. My cue is the Fury NR08 and feels great as it is. I think it has the "pro taper" as to my understanding that this makes it slide well now. Is it the best idea to have it sealed? I am not sure about it and dont want to mess up my cue. Thanks guys and girls if there are any on here.
Kendall

tjlmbklr
03-27-2006, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KwwFuryNr08:</font><hr> Hey everyone, first I'd like to thank everyone for your input in my last post, its good to have experts to ask. My question is...is it ok to have my cue sealed by a cue repair man. The guy at one of the halls I shoot at says he will sand and seal my cue. He let me feel another cue that has had it done and it slides awesome. My cue is the Fury NR08 and feels great as it is. I think it has the "pro taper" as to my understanding that this makes it slide well now. Is it the best idea to have it sealed? I am not sure about it and dont want to mess up my cue. Thanks guys and girls if there are any on here.
Kendall <hr /></blockquote>

I may take more time in making my cue feel good then actually making myself shoot good with it. But getting your cue to feel smooth isn't all that hard. If you love your cue then it becomes a labor of love after awhile. And don't even like letting the do it all Rec. room supply store sand the shaft when they put a tip on for me (which I think will be my next investment) There are MANY post on cue maintenance; like removing dings and sealing a cue. What makes the cue feel so smooth other then a type of wax or any kind of sealer is burnishing the wood. First you want to get it all smooth by removing any dings, any one that uses sand paper to do this doesn't care about there cue. A ding is just the wood pushed in, and you need to bring it back to the surface here is a post on how with many good and all effective ideas Removing dings (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=221798&amp;Forum=cc b&amp;Words=dings&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;L imit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=221582&amp;Search=true#Post2 21798)

Then you need to have a clean slate to burnish the wood a VERY fine sand paper the remove any surface bumps and dirt then clean with alchohol or I have heard lighter fluid. Then you just rub the snot out of the shaft with either a piece of leather or I like to use Mcmagic(Mcdermotts brand) or Q-smooth. Both are just a"space age" plastic that never wears out that has different grits you start heavy then finish with the smoothest. I love these things, and when you're done the shaft will be slick as sh*t..! then use your favorite sealer. I have been using Slip Stic (http://www.pooldawg.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=52070?src=trafficleader) and I love it,. Or here is a post with some other ideas; Shaft conditioning (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=196458&amp;Forum=cc b&amp;Words=slip%20stic&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpa ge=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=196397&amp;Search=true #Post196458)

Hope this helps: I will say one thing though,and you might already know this; when you play with such a conditioned shaft it is very hard to use anything else. Makes me wonder how some can use fiberglass/graphite shafts because they get so sticky,, those always have to be conditioned. This is why you see most anyone that shoots with a cuetec (I don't anymore) use a glove....!