PDA

View Full Version : The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies

Bumps
03-28-2006, 03:56 PM
I see that the local Barnes and Noble has a reprint of "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota Fats with Tom Fox. Published by Lyons Press. Book has in introduction by R.A. Dyer, which looks to be the same article he wrote for Billiards Digest some time back. Entertaining read if you take Fatty's remarks about beating everybody and their brother with a large pinch of salt. I have an original first edition in my collection and had to look long and hard to find it.

DickLeonard
03-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Bumps from what I was told Fatty was pretty schrewed about his gambling. Going into Johnson City playing the boys who were up for 24 hours or more and he was fresh as a daisey.

I always felt he was a notch below as a player but as an Entrtaining PoolPlayer he was in a World of his own. He played three days for me at the Albany Golden Cue in 1969.
Total 27 hours of non stop Talking and he never told the same lie twice. Playing kids for a dollar a game, losing to them and stamping the dollar Won from Minnesota Fats. Playing their fathers and doing like wise. I just wished we had recorded it, now it is imbedded in my mind, sometimes the mention of his name gets me thinking of those three days. Plus his holding court a Joe's Madison Ave, a famous local Deli from 12 to 3 every evening.####

Deeman3
03-29-2006, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Bumps from what I was told Fatty was pretty schrewed about his gambling. Going into Johnson City playing the boys who were up for 24 hours or more and he was fresh as a daisey.

I always felt he was a notch below as a player but as an Entrtaining PoolPlayer he was in a World of his own. He played three days for me at the Albany Golden Cue in 1969.
Total 27 hours of non stop Talking and he never told the same lie twice. Playing kids for a dollar a game, losing to them and stamping the dollar Won from Minnesota Fats. Playing their fathers and doing like wise. I just wished we had recorded it, now it is imbedded in my mind, sometimes the mention of his name gets me thinking of those three days. Plus his holding court a Joe's Madison Ave, a famous local Deli from 12 to 3 every evening.#### <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Dick,

He did the exact same thing, held court, at the Stockyard and Bullpin Lounge in Nashville the last few years of his life. You said it best, "He never told the same lie twice."

</font color>
Deeman

DickLeonard
03-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Deeman you see comedians on stage and they may have an hour show but Fatty's show was never ending.####

Fran Crimi
03-29-2006, 03:00 PM
I was at his Hall of Fame Induction. His acceptance speech was a riot. Just one story after another. They finally had to tell him to shut up so we could get on with the rest of the evening. My face hurt from laughing so much that night.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

Voodoo Daddy
03-29-2006, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman you see comedians on stage and they may have an hour show but Fatty's show was never ending.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick, please write a book...PLEASE PLEASE?!?!?!

Bumps
03-29-2006, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Bumps from what I was told Fatty was pretty schrewed about his gambling. Going into Johnson City playing the boys who were up for 24 hours or more and he was fresh as a daisey. <hr /></blockquote>

Indeed. I read in "Billiards: Hustlers and Heroes, Legends and Lies, and the Search for the Higher Truth on the Green Felt" by John Grissim about it. He beat Richie Florence out of $25,000. Ray Martin told me about a year after I read the story that he {Ray} was there and it was a true story. Fatty whomped on a few other people at Johnston City that year too, the names escape me now. In about 1968, IIRC, Allan Kiehl, who was the NYS Straight Pool champ I think, walked up to Fats in The Cue Club in Syracuse, NY and asked him to play some 9 ball. Fats had on a sharkskin suit and a blonde on each arm and refused to play. He was a character, all right.

DickLeonard
04-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Fran I am sorry I missed his night, he was a Damien Runyonesque character Bigger than Life. I don't think there was ever anyone like him. I tried thinking of anyone who could hold a candle to him or could play his part in his life story if ever there was a movie made. ####

Fran Crimi
04-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Ha! That's pretty funny, Dick...A movie about the guy who claimed to be the original character of a movie who was a character from a book who the author claims is a figment of his imagination.

Can you say that three times fast? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Too bad Gleason wasn't alive. Then we could get him to play Fatty who claimed to be Gleason's Character who was really....awww fuhgeddaboudit.

Fran

DickLeonard
04-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Fran I was going over the old posts looking for the results of Valley Forge and I read your old post. Yours is a totally different concept that could only be done in a TV series. Without Tivo you would be lost,miss a show and you wouldn't know where your at. ####