PDA

View Full Version : Custom cue by J.S.

jayzoll
03-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard of a jim smith or john smith cue. I guess he used to work with scruggs at one time some years ago. I tried to search for this guy, but could not find anything on the internet. I'm really curious if this guys reputation is worth the money.

I really like this cue for sale (new) but i don't really know the seller. He's a friend of a guy i shoot with sometimes at the ph. The guy i shoot with tells me this is a really good deal.

Anyway the cue is a very nice birdseye maple forearm with 4 rosewood points that have ivory spears in them. The butt is rosewood with 4 ivory windows and some sort of shell (diamond shaped) in the ivory. (The shell is pretty shiny) It also has an ivory joint and comes with 2 shafts with ivory ferrules. He is asking $1500 but someone said he might go for $1200. It really feels good and hits very well. Supposedly this cue was at valley forge, but i do not know which booth. Has anyone seen anything there that may fit this description?

....oh yea, thank you very much for the break rak. already seeing improvements and it's only been 2 weeks. Great product!! Joe tucker-great guy...thank you for the book. (i was the young, tall kid who bought the 9' model on sat night)

Rich R.
03-30-2006, 05:00 AM
If you really want to do some research on the guy, I suggest that the first thing you do is contact Tim Scruggs and find out if the guy ever worked for him.

Mailing Address:

Custom Cues, Inc.
900 Leeds Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21229

Voice: 410-247-1231

jayzoll
03-31-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm waiting for Scruggs to call back...I ended up buying the cue tonight. Hits great!!...I'm still curious about this guys reputation though

Rich R.
03-31-2006, 03:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jayzoll:</font><hr> I'm waiting for Scruggs to call back...I ended up buying the cue tonight. Hits great!!...I'm still curious about this guys reputation though <hr /></blockquote>
As long as you like the cue, I wouldn't worry about the guy's reputation. The guy may have no reputation and only made one great cue, which you have. On the other hand, even the best known have made a bad cue or two, I'm sure.

The only thing that a good reputation will affect is the resale, if you ever decide to get rid of it.

jayzoll
03-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, I did talk to Mike from Scruggs. I found out the guys name and he did work for Scruggs a few years ago. He does build now, but only part time. Anyway, I am very satisfied and once I figure out how to post pics, I may post one of the cue....Thanks Rich

Rich R.
03-31-2006, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jayzoll:</font><hr> Well, I did talk to Mike from Scruggs. I found out the guys name and he did work for Scruggs a few years ago. He does build now, but only part time. Anyway, I am very satisfied and once I figure out how to post pics, I may post one of the cue....Thanks Rich <hr /></blockquote>I'm happy you were able to find out a little information about the cue builder. Enjoy the cue and I would like to see some pictures, if you can.

Check FAQ for instructions on how to post pictures.