PDA

View Full Version : More proof of global warming...

eg8r
03-30-2006, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'It's hard to believe it's spring'
Alpine Meadows records most snow in 35 years
JEFF DELONG
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 3/30/2006
March's record snowfall

SCOTT SADY/RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL

Homes along Deer Creek Drive near Alpine Meadows ski resort are partially buried after a record one-month snowfall total was reached Tuesday evening.

Head avalanche forecaster at Alpine Meadows Gary Murphy skis after avalanche control at Alpine Meadows.

'It's hard to believe it's spring'

Big snow months at Alpine Meadows:
March 2006 (as of Wednesday): 16.2 to 22.7 feet.
March 1991: 15.6 feet.
February 1998: 15.5 feet.
March 1995: 15 feet.
January 1995: 14.2 feet.
March 1982: 13.5 feet.

Snowy Marches in Tahoe City
March 1967: 10.9 feet.
March 1952: 10.5 feet.
March 1995: 8.3 feet.
March 2006 (as of Wednesday): 6.8 feet.
Average snowfall in March: 2.8 feet.

Source: Alpine Meadows, National Weather Service

An unending series of March snowstorms pasted the Sierra in white, with one Lake Tahoe ski resort reporting more snowfall than during any other month over the last 35 years.

At Alpine Meadows, the resort received more than 16 feet of snow at its base lodge since March 1. Midway up the mountain, more than 22 feet fell, resort representatives said Wednesday.

That's a record. It surpasses the previous high of 15.6 feet that fell at Alpine during the "Miracle March" of 1991.

"It's not often you see a mountain's visual appearance change this drastically, this fast," said Alpine Meadows spokeswoman Rachael Woods. "Because of the amount of snow that has fallen this March, it's really a different place than it was a month ago.

"It's hard to believe it's spring."

That's for sure, said Anthony Loverde, a resident of Tahoma on Lake Tahoe's west shore.

"It's been very wet, incredible," said Loverde, 27.

All the March snow has been great for Loverde's snow-removal business but he said enough is enough.

"I'm ready for summer, to be honest with you. I'm ready for sunshine," Loverde said.

Alpine Meadows received the most snowfall for a single month since resort operators started keeping records in 1970.

Other areas have seen much the same thing. At Tahoe City, nearly 6.8 feet of snow has fallen since March 1, making the month the fourth snowiest March since 1931. And there are still two days of the month left, with more snow likely Friday.

"There's been a huge increase. It's dramatically improved the snowpack," said Gary Barbato, a hydrologist with the National Weather Service in Reno.

The change was particularly remarkable in some lower elevations of the Sierra, Barbato said. At Fallen Leaf Lake near South Lake Tahoe, for example, the snowpack went from 39 percent of average on March 1 to 166 percent on Wednesday, Barbato said.

And while many folks might be hankering for warmth and sunshine, ski conditions at Alpine and other resorts are remarkable at a time of year many are offering special deals, Woods said.

"Conditions are mid-winter and it's a skier's market this month," Woods said.

<hr /></blockquote> I guess our caps are melting at record pace with Lake Tahoe freezing over trying to keep up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Chopstick
03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
As any reasonable person can plainly see, global warming is caused by a decrease in the number of pirates.

http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.jpg

Gayle in MD
03-30-2006, 12:39 PM
BWA HA HA HA...if any cap is melting, it's the top of Ed's head! It's a meltdown of record proportions, ha ha ha...

Pirates, good one.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

moblsv
03-30-2006, 01:07 PM
If Barry Bonds quit taking steroids and his home run totals started dropping would you dispute that the steroids had any affect everytime he does hit a home run?

You are using the worst possible arguement concievable yet somehow this keeps reappearing from the mathematically challenged. I even see it in various media articles and I first think "how stupid do they think I am" but then I read eg8r's comments and the question is answered.

wolfdancer
03-30-2006, 01:25 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060330/ap_on_sc/coral_death

eg8r
03-31-2006, 05:26 AM
That is a shame. I really hope they find the real reason and not just take the easy way out and call it global warming. I used to scuba dive all the time and I really enjoyed the wreck dives a little more than the reef dives.

Good thing those coral reefs were not in Tahoe last month or 100% of them would have probably died from water too cold.

eg8r

eg8r
03-31-2006, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If Barry Bonds quit taking steroids and his home run totals started dropping would you dispute that the steroids had any affect everytime he does hit a home run?
<hr /></blockquote> Nope, I would dispute that global warming caused it. Who wants to go out there in all that heat and play baseball. Much less hit a ball that would require you to run around all the bases. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You are using the worst possible arguement concievable <hr /></blockquote> It really isn't an argument at all. It is reality.

eg8r

eg8r
03-31-2006, 05:30 AM
LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

moblsv
03-31-2006, 05:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>It really isn't an argument at all.<hr /></blockquote>

True, it's more like trolling

eg8r
03-31-2006, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True, it's more like trolling <hr /></blockquote> As you are quite a shameless expert.

eg8r

Chopstick
04-02-2006, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> That is a shame. I really hope they find the real reason and not just take the easy way out and call it global warming. I used to scuba dive all the time and I really enjoyed the wreck dives a little more than the reef dives.

Good thing those coral reefs were not in Tahoe last month or 100% of them would have probably died from water too cold.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Global Warming isn't killing the reefs. This thing is.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/CrownofThornsStarfish_Fiji_2005-10-12.jpg/480px-CrownofThornsStarfish_Fiji_2005-10-12.jpg

It is called the Crown of Thorns Starfish and it eats live coral. Beginning is the 60s there has been a population explosion of these things. They are like the Bubonic Plague for coral reefs. They move in masses of hundreds or thousands onto a reef, destroy it utterly, and move on to the next one. There is currently no way of controlling them other than to hunt them down and kill them one by one. Diving crews are currently doing this on the Great Barrier reef and others.

Watch, now someone will say it's Global Warming that caused the population explosion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is the scientists, not the politicians, that determine the future course of our society. Why isn't someone up in front of the TV camera calling them a liar? Some of them, especially the ones involved in Global Warming, clearly are.

Qtec
04-02-2006, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On Sunday, Hernandez-Delgado found a colony of 800-year-old star coral more than 13 feet high that had just died in the waters off Puerto Rico.

"We did lose entire colonies," he said. "This is something we have never seen before."

On Wednesday, Tyler Smith, coordinator of the U.S. Virgin Islands Coral Reef Monitoring program, dived at a popular spot for tourists in St. Thomas and saw an old chunk of brain coral, about 3 feet in diameter, that was at least 90% dead from the disease called "white plague."

"We haven't seen an event of this magnitude in the Caribbean before," said Mark Eakin, coordinator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Coral Reef Watch.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2006-03-30-caribbean-coral_x.htm <hr /></blockquote>

Why is it happening all around the world? Could it be a global phenomenon?

Q

Chopstick
04-02-2006, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Why is it happening all around the world? Could it be a global phenomenon?

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Things like this are cause by human transportation systems more than global warming. Organisms that are not native to areas hitch rides in the ballasts of ships. When they arrive in a new area they are very disruptive to ecological balances that have evolved there. There are many examples of this.

Volcanoes cause far more disturbance to the atmosphere than man ever will. There have been large swings in global temperature before man ever existed. Nature has ways to balance things out or life would not have survived at all.

This whole Global Warming thing is more hype than hard science. Not a single one of the theoretical models has produced an accurate prediction. Nor has any one of them produced any proof that climate variations are the result of human effects.

Just because someone is a scientist doesn't mean they are smarter than anoyone else. It just means they are trained in the use of scientific tools. They are no better at their jobs than the person in the cubicle next to you is at theirs. The difference is that if they start crowing about something that sells well with the mass media, they get money.

I took the time to read the papers they published and presented to Congress. I have not read the Kyoto accords yet but I did read about the models it is based on. I am not buying what they are selling.

mred477
04-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I agree that there is a lot of disinformation out there. Reasonable scientists disagree on the issue. The problem that I have is that politicians and the media only present the view that global warming is occuring. Also, this theory is presented in public schools as fact.

The real problem is government run public schools that don't teach critical thinking as long as everyone has high self-esteem. I don't claim to be bright enough to know whether global warming is occuring or not, but you do need to recognize who the source is. As a Ph.D. student myself in Chemical Engineering, I realize that sometimes funding comes from the people who can scare the politicians the most (i.e. research on detecting biological toxins is really big right now). As such, some of the experts have a preconceived notion going in.

Why is it that medical studies are often disproved after initially being touted in the media? It's because science is not exact. We are all presenting theories to match the data we've collected. The problem with global warming is that we don't have much of a reference or real understanding of the global climate. Also, the sun is getting hotter...that might cause global warming, no?

P.S. On a completely different topic, watch for studies on miracle nanoparticles. I'm predicting they'll cause more cancer than asbestos ever did before all is said and done.

Chopstick
04-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Exactly my point. None of the theories mentions solar variance, declining trends in vulcanism, or a dozen other factors. Yet it is already being declared a sin because I drive my SUV to the golf course.

I am glad to see you mention nano technology. That stuff is going to totally re-define dangerous in our lifetime. We will be wishing for the good old days of the bird flu after the first nano plague gets through with us. If there is an us. They are already binding that stuff to viruses. How do you think that's going to work out? It's only a matter of time before it gets loose into nature.

Global warming. Please. I'd be happy if we live to see it happen.

mred477
04-05-2006, 11:00 PM
My research is focused on nanoparticles. There's a reason I have to use biohazard protocol for disposal. There will be lots of good breakthroughs, but just as many side effects...the lawyers will probably drive the researchers out of business, haha.