PDA

View Full Version : Billiard balls 2

Drop1
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Looking to buy a set of balls,for the table. I called my son in L.A.,and he was quoted $99 to $250 for Aramith set of fifteen with cue ball.
He was told the cheaper balls were out of round,and difffered in weight. He also got different prices on the Measal balls. I can go the price,but I would like to know if the difference makes sense /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Billy_Bob
03-30-2006, 09:32 AM
The best are Super Aramith Pro balls. While they cost more, they are less expensive over the long run since they last longer. I know someone who bought a cheap set of balls and they only lasted a year.

Aramith (Manufacturer)...
http://www.saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=10

To find on-line dealers, search google.com for...
Super aramith pro price

ceebee
03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I like the Super ARAMITH balls & the Brunswick Centennial balls (same ball ecept for cosmetics) very well. I have a set that is 4 years old & cleans up as new. Most of the time, you always get what you you pay for.

Snapshot9
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I like the Super ARAMITH balls &amp; the Brunswick Centennial balls (same ball ecept for cosmetics) very well. I have a set that is 4 years old &amp; cleans up as new. Most of the time, you always get what you you pay for. <hr /></blockquote>

What was suggested are the best. I like the Aramith first,
then Brunswick, but both play and last good. Personally,
I do NOT like the measels cue ball, but prefer the Green
Aramith logo ball.

Terry
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I got the Centennial set, regular Aramith set with the Atamith logo on the CB and a set of the Aramith TV balls which has the measal CB as well as the pink 4&amp;12 and the brown 7&amp;15. They all play great and it just comes down to looks. At first I didn't like the measal ball but then I got a chance to play with one for a while and I liked it so I bought the whole set. I payed 165.00 cdn for the reg set, 260.00 cdn for the TV set and 350.00 cdn for the Centennial set. Terry

Bob_Jewett
03-30-2006, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> .... I can go the price,but I would like to know if the difference makes sense ... <hr /></blockquote>
Depends on what conditions will be. Are the balls often going to go off the table onto a bare concrete floor? Do your pockets have protruding tacks? Such things will beat the balls up pretty quickly and there is no point in spending a lot of money on good ones.

For playability, I think there is almost no difference between the various solid phenolic balls from Aramith. I think the guy talking about "out of round" and "wrong weight" was a salesman. The lowest-end balls from Aramith have the numbers silkscreened on. Don't get those. You can tell the difference by sight or feel.

If you can afford the price, and the balls won't be subject to hardship, get the style you like. The high-end balls are status symbols, at least with your knowledgeable pool-playing friends.

SPetty
03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr>Personally, I do NOT like the measles cue ball, but prefer the Green Aramith logo ball. <hr /></blockquote>Isn't that the ball they make to work with the magnetic ball return on a coin op table? Are you playing on a bar table?

Drop1
03-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I think they first started using that ball for the TV viewers,but I could be wrong.