PDA

View Full Version : how are shurtz cues

supercueman
03-30-2006, 01:59 PM
just bought 3 shurtz cues, anyone play with one,whats your opinion..

dg-in-centralpa
03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Personally, if you just bought three of them, you don't need our opinion. Unless someone needed the money, why not try them for yourself and see what you think. They can't be too bad Gabe Owen plays with them, although it's family that makes them.

DG- not trying to be a smartass

hondo
03-31-2006, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supercueman:</font><hr> just bought 3 shurtz cues, anyone play with one,whats your opinion.. <hr /></blockquote>

I bought one at DCC. Very, very nice hitting cue
and Mr. Owen is an honest man to work with.
I predict that you'll be very pleased. I also
bet they go up in price in the next year.

Rich R.
03-31-2006, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> They can't be too bad Gabe Owen plays with them, although it's family that makes them.
<hr /></blockquote>
Although Gabe was playing with one of his father's Shurtz cues when he won the Open, I don't believe he is playing with one now.
Since the 2004 U.S. Open, Gabe has gotten himself a sponsorship deal from Meuller's and, in conjuntion with that, Troy Downey has a line of cues named for Gabe.
Just look at the back cover of current Mueller's catalog or check their web site.
http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Catalog.Category/categoryID/560.cfm?CFID=1976920&amp;CFTOKEN=291bb7c6a0a95275-51463F64-D61C-4F06-B19A2D7B00885C34

BTW, I looked at the Shurtz cues at VF. The craftsmanship was excellent and the prices were very reasonable. I was tempted to buy one, just to see if I like it, but I resisted. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cornerman
03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supercueman:</font><hr> just bought 3 shurtz cues, anyone play with one,whats your opinion.. <hr /></blockquote>Very good hitting cue (for my likes).

Fred

Snapshot9
03-31-2006, 12:34 PM
They are very good cues. My cues are all Shurtz's, and abut 90 percent of the 'players' here, real players, play with Shurtz's. They have sold well in Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado,
Nebraska, Missouri, and some other states.
Jack Shurtz and Bob Owen are partners. Bob does the cuemaking, and it is worth the time to know Bob's prior experience before cuemaking. Jack Shurtz probably recovers more tables in Pool rooms across the entire Midwest than anyone. Jack Shurtz first learned his cuemaking from the
late, Verl Horn of OKC.
I have known Bob for 30 years, back when I gave him the 7 and maybe the breaks, and Bob is a pleasure to know, and a straight shooter. Needless to say, Bob and I won't play anymore unless it is even ... lol Those 4 GC's in the front
of his shop, and playing 1 pocket everyday has helped his game quite a bit ... lol
I am also friends with Gabe and Robert, his sons, and we have played several times. Although, quite different, they are both nice young men, and fun to be around.

Bottom line ... Shurtz's are a diamond in the ruff, and you will pay twice as much with an acclaimed Cuemaker to get the same cue. I like the balance and feel better than any cue I have ever shot with or tried, with a couple of high dollar cues being real close though.

Voodoo Daddy
03-31-2006, 12:43 PM
I bought one in Virginia Beach last Sept...one of the best playing cues I own!!! You made a good choice.

Brad
03-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Amost as good as pants cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cornerman
04-01-2006, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supercueman:</font><hr> just bought 3 shurtz cues, anyone play with one,whats your opinion.. <hr /></blockquote>
BTW, there was an article on Bob Owen and Shurtz Cues in the January '06 issue of InsidePOOL Magazine.

Fred

Snapshot9
04-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Bob's cues were also featured on the cover of American Cueist
Magazine in Janurary 2001 (I know because my cue is one of them... lol)