PDA

View Full Version : Age Question

RexPool
03-31-2006, 11:12 AM
I have a question, what age do most serious pool players start shooting, i play twice a week at a local bar usually, no pool halls here and i practice at home on my stroke, but i dont have a table and dont get to shoot as much as id like. So im wondering what age do most serious pool players start shooting?

Snapshot9
03-31-2006, 12:18 PM
That varies with the exposure you have to Pool at a growing up age. For some, especially with family members involved with Pool seriously, it can mean a very young age, 7-8-9. For most, I would say 14-15-16, when they are able to drive and venture out to new places and interests. Others may not get involved with Pool until they are in their early or mid 20's.
Your geograhical area that you live in can also have an effect on this too. People in small towns do not have the opportunities for good Pool rooms like people in larger cities do, and are somewhat restricted. They may have to travel, 50-200 miles for a good sized tournament, or even to play at a good Pool room.
For some, playing Pool in bars may be the main source for them, which is unfortunate becauswe a good Pool room is a much better experience and much more pleasant, and Pool rooms usually have all kinds of information available for players.

I was first exposed to Pool at 11, when my Dad brought home
a 6 foot table for the basement. I didn't play very much, just sort of fooled around on it. At 14, I made my mind up to learn the sport, and that I wanted to be good at it (plus I had a restricted drivers license which helped). I grew up in Dodge City (yes, really) which was about 18.000 people at the time. Lets suffice it to say, i would never, never, never,
live that far from a big city again ever.
The larger cities offer so much more for a serious Pool player in the way of Pool rooms avallable, information, competition, tournaemnts. I live in Wichita, Ks now (about 500,000 people), and Wichita is a 'AAA' city for Pool, not the big time, but a good minor league city for Pool.

Drop1
03-31-2006, 06:09 PM
If you grew up around pool,you start pretty early. I started fifty years ago,playing,then quitting,and starting in again. I'm sixty five now,and love the game,and I get better the more I play,and practice. Sure age is going to cut a little off your game,but I win my share,in any age group.

Scott Lee
04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Pool is a game that you can begin learning at any age, and still become an expert player. I've known many players, men and women, who didn't become serious about playing well until their 40's or even 50's, and have excelled at the game.

Scott Lee