PDA

View Full Version : Info about old Adam cues on internet?

Leviathan
04-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Anybody know of sites that have pics and descriptions of older Adam cues? Thanks.--AS

Pizza Bob
04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Not a site, but the Blue Books (all 3 editions) show almost all of them. If you are trying to identify a particular cue as an Adam, and don't have access to a Blue Book, e-mail me some pics and I'll take a crack at it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Leviathan
04-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm not trying to ID a cue; somebody told me that some of the older Adams looked sharp and I thought I'd check 'em out. Hope you had a good winter.

AS

jayman
04-01-2006, 05:40 PM
I may be able to help you, I have a sizeable collection of them, and I can assure you that the bluebook (as great as it is) comes incredibly short on a lot of mass produced and fairly common cues? I was so dissapointed in the 3rd edition, for not getting with some of the larger manufatures that have been around long enough for people to start collecting there earlier work ,ie: viking -adams- and expanding on them.I realize they are not where the big money is, but it is where an awfull lot of people that cant afford to collect joss wests, ernie martines, benders etc.... are finding realy interesting cues, and yet they just copied the pages off the first and second editions? (rant rant rant)Anyway.. I may well be able to i.d it for you if post a few pics. I will look for them. or if you can just email them to me i will sure try to help you.

jayman
04-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I thought you were trying to i.d one, If i can figure out how, I will post some pics of a few of mine. They are pretty cool old cues! stay tuned....

tateuts
04-01-2006, 09:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm not trying to ID a cue; somebody told me that some of the older Adams looked sharp and I thought I'd check 'em out. Hope you had a good winter.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

Many of the old Adam cues are full splice like Titlist and the quality rivals that of Burton Spain's. Look for the veneers coming together before the wrap to ID an older Adam full splice cue. These cues make excellent conversions and in fact many well known makers including Tascarella and Palmer used their blanks to replace Titlists when Brunswick stopped making them.

Here's a pic of a Palmer built with an Adam made forearm:

http://www.palmercollector.com/Model_14_Forearm800-OPT.jpg

Chris

Leviathan
04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks, jayman; I'd enjoy seeing the pics.--AS

Leviathan
04-01-2006, 09:44 PM
'Lo, Chris. Thanks for the info and the nice pic. The (immitation?) m.o.p. inlay work interests me. I have the idea that both Palmer and Adam made cues that had a lot of this work. Was this something that Palmer did first and Adam copied when they produced cues under the Adam name?--AS

tateuts
04-02-2006, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> 'Lo, Chris. Thanks for the info and the nice pic. The (immitation?) m.o.p. inlay work interests me. I have the idea that both Palmer and Adam made cues that had a lot of this work. Was this something that Palmer did first and Adam copied when they produced cues under the Adam name?--AS <hr /></blockquote>

Adam was a supplier to Palmer, just as Gus Szamboti was. There were several lines of cues made entirely by Adam, the PB and PM series, mostly in the 1980's, but the 3rd catalog cues were made by Palmer in the 1970's and 1980's in their own shop using forearms built to Palmer's specs by Adam.

Here's a piece from my site I did on inlays:

http://www.palmercollector.com/InlayPage.html

Palmer used real oyster MOP inlays that were originally made for musical instruments, then they bought on their own and supplied to Szamboti, balabushka, and others. Even today if you look at a guitar, you will see these shapes on the fretboard, which are used by musicians to help identify frets while playing.

These pearl inlays have been used for a long time by cuemakers. Palmer had a unique way of hand inlaying. It wouldn't surprise me if the Adam cues were also hand inlaid considering the abundance of skilled and cheap labor at the time in Japan.

If you are interested in Adam cues, here is the company and their web site which shows their history. They will also be helpful in identifying Adam cues. Their operation in Japan still has employees from their early days in the late 1960's.

http://www.theadamcueco.com/

Chris

Leviathan
04-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks again, Chris--interesting stuff.

AS

jayman
04-03-2006, 11:59 PM
I did not think it would be so difficult to post a few pics here, (im used to formats like ebay, or craigslist.) that are so darn user friendly. anyway... if i ever figure it out i will post some pics.

tateuts
04-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Here are some of Jay's Cues:

http://www.palmercollector.com/Jay_Adam_3_op_445x600.jpg

http://www.palmercollector.com/Jay_Adam_4_op_800x593.jpg

http://www.palmercollector.com/Jays_Adam_1.JPG

tateuts
04-04-2006, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jayman:</font><hr> I did not think it would be so difficult to post a few pics here, (im used to formats like ebay, or craigslist.) that are so darn user friendly. anyway... if i ever figure it out i will post some pics. <hr /></blockquote>

The hallmark's of identifying old Adam cues besides the lion logo - the famous full splice blanks, the sharp points, the early joint screws which had sharp end (5/16 X 18 joint). These designs were influenced by famous old Palmers, Paradise, Rambow, and Balabushka.

Many of these designs were also carry overs from the Palmer PB line, which Adam produced. Adam also made the Willie Hoppe Professional for Brunswick in the 1970's based on their own version of the Titlist.

They were really good production cues from Japan. I would say they were underrated - they were terrific players for the times.

Chris

Deeman3
04-04-2006, 01:56 PM
My Balabuska looks very much like the two center cues. Of course, different butt bumper and a little different splice but I can see where they were influenced by the design. Richard Helmsstetter did much of the design and the diamond cut mother of pearl was a common part used back in the 1960's.

Nice collection...

Deeman

Leviathan
04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Chris and Jay: Thanks for posting the info and the great pictures of these sharp cues. The things I'm hearing and seeing make me wish I'd been into cues in the sixties. Also, I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a couple of the fancier Helmstetters while they were still in production in the nineties.

AS

jayman
04-05-2006, 03:32 PM
from left to right these adams cues are model # c/b-12 midnight rider,a/h-23 sahara, r/a-7 rambow, a/h-12 century, r/a-11 riviera, a/h-36 corsair, a/h-36 galaxie/ these next two I am still trying, along with the adams cue company, to identify. then is a VERY RARE brunswick (unchalked) made by adams when brunswick was between venders in the early 1970s, it is model # n/b-12, a/h-26 st. moritz,and a jim rempe signature cue model# also unknown.
I just recieved a copy of an email from the factory about the twin cues,"These cues are FG-4. Brown colour one is correct model. other red wrap was probably sample or proto-type" Wow how cool is that! And i would like to thank chris (palmer collecter) for his help. He posted these pictures from an email i sent asking for help. I was getting a bit frustrated. Thanks again!!!

tateuts
04-06-2006, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jayman:</font><hr> from left to right these adams cues are model # c/b-12 midnight rider,a/h-23 sahara, r/a-7 rambow, a/h-12 century, r/a-11 riviera, a/h-36 corsair, a/h-36 galaxie/ these next two I am still trying, along with the adams cue company, to identify. then is a VERY RARE brunswick (unchalked) made by adams when brunswick was between venders in the early 1970s, it is model # n/b-12, a/h-26 st. moritz,and a jim rempe signature cue model# also unknown.
I just recieved a copy of an email from the factory about the twin cues,"These cues are FG-4. Brown colour one is correct model. other red wrap was probably sample or proto-type" Wow how cool is that! And i would like to thank chris (palmer collecter) for his help. He posted these pictures from an email i sent asking for help. I was getting a bit frustrated. Thanks again!!! <hr /></blockquote>

The Rempe cue (far right, boxed window and barbell) uses the same inlay parts as the Palmer PB9 which Adam produced. Here's the catalog page:

http://www.palmercollector.com/PBLine.html

My guess is that the Rempe design was before the Palmer design, which was around 1980. Adam probably had made this in the mid to late 1970's when Rempe was cleaning up, before he signed on with Meucci. My suspicion is Rempe probably switched endorsements. Adam most likely then proposed the same design for Palmer's line. Most of the PB cues were designed by Peter Balner, but this is unlike any previous Palmer design.

Chris

mybreak
04-07-2006, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jayman:</font><hr> from left to right these adams cues are model # c/b-12 midnight rider,a/h-23 sahara, r/a-7 rambow, a/h-12 century, r/a-11 riviera, a/h-36 corsair, a/h-36 galaxie/ these next two I am still trying, along with the adams cue company, to identify. then is a VERY RARE brunswick (unchalked) made by adams when brunswick was between venders in the early 1970s, it is model # n/b-12, a/h-26 st. moritz,and a jim rempe signature cue model# also unknown.
I just recieved a copy of an email from the factory about the twin cues,"These cues are FG-4. Brown colour one is correct model. other red wrap was probably sample or proto-type" Wow how cool is that! And i would like to thank chris (palmer collecter) for his help. He posted these pictures from an email i sent asking for help. I was getting a bit frustrated. Thanks again!!! <hr /></blockquote>

WOW!! These are outta sight and they are the cream of the crop from that time!! I only have 3 original Adam cues from back then with the AH-10 as the "primo" of the lot. I recently sent it back to Adam and they did a beautiful refinish job on it and put a brown leather wrap on. The cue is as solid as a rock and plays great. I recently purchased a remake of the A/H-26 Monte Carlo with leather that is now in their Mosconi series.

putz0999
01-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi. I've been looking for info on Jim Rempe signature sticks also. I bought 2 of them in Portland, Oregon in May 1980. I gave one to my father and kept one for myself.

Mine has only had the tip replaced one time, and at that time it was identified as an Adam cue. I was told that Jim Rempe signed sticks for Adam for only 3 years, but have never been able to confirm that.

My father still has the one I gave him. I bought a third one and gave it to my mother later. She is sending it back to me since she is no longer able to play.

I noticed in your pictures the far right cue has a person bending over in a shooting position on the butt. My stick has the same picture. You identified it as a Jim Rempe stick but an unknown model number. The one I gave my father has the person standing upright holding the cue upright.

Mine has large rectangular inlays and a leather wrap.

I have shot with it continously and it is still in incredible condition.

Any information you can provide would be awesome.

Thank you in advance.

Putz (Pat)