PDA

View Full Version : One year ago this past week

dg-in-centralpa
04-01-2006, 11:32 AM
One year ago this past Monday, March 27, is when I got sick with the flesh eating disease. A lot has happened in that time. At first I didn't know if I would live. Later I was told that as bad as I had it and all that went wrong, less than 30% survive the first week.
As I started to heal, I wondered how my life would change. What would I be able to do, would I be able to work, would I have both of my arms? Would I be able to shoot pool? I had so many operations that I was on a first name basis with the people in the operating room.
After I got out of the hospital, the physical therapy was difficult, as I couldn't bend my fingers, pick up a penny, etc. I also was facing kidney dialysis for the rest of my life. Although the doctors told me that there was a good chance of them starting to function, the people at the dialysis center didn't have much hope since they never had anyone get off dialysis.
I eventually did get off dialysis and am back to normal. I'm still fighting high blood pressure, but this was a problem for years prior and not a result of my illness. My kidneys are still doing well. I do go every couple months for a check up. I want to thank everyone who sent cards, phone calls, pm's, prayers, thoughts, etc. I couldn't have made it without all your support.

DG

Rich R.
04-01-2006, 02:51 PM
"You've come a long way, baby."

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/p214b8540171082de27fe37518dab25cc/efbbdd9d.jpg

Barbara
04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Duane,

Thank God you made it out okay and you didn't lose anything and you are still making a comeback with your arm. Yours was an extremely serious situation and a very scary one, too. God bless you and your family!

Barbara

Deeman3
04-02-2006, 08:38 AM
DG,

We are all thankful you pulled through and have made such a nice recovery. Best of luck in the future. With a concentration like that picture, you could be mistaken for a player... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, I'll be in your area over the July 4th week. Maybe we will see each other, I'm trying to get Stottlemeyer to find me a tournament to play in while I'm there. Deewoman's son lives there....

Deeman
missing avoiding the Amish buggies......

dg-in-centralpa
04-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey Deeman,
Let me know your schedule, maybe we can get together to play. I can come to York. We don't have anything open during the day. July 3rd, I might take off work. I'll pm my phone number later.

DG

wolfdancer
04-02-2006, 06:59 PM
DG, I didn't know about your med problems, but sounds like you
made an historic survival, and recovery. We just had a nurse here cut her thumb in the O.R., and three days later she was dead from the flesh eating...
What a difference a year makes....!!!! the best to you, jjd

Sid_Vicious
04-02-2006, 08:21 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You had one helluva a ride DG. No thanks necessary...sid

dg-in-centralpa
04-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Most times there are no warning signs that something is wrong other than feeling sick and a real high fever. My fever was 105 - 106 degrees. I feel bad for the nurses' family. This is one of the most agressive diseases, in that it can shut down your body and kill you within 2 days of contracting it.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
04-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Sid,
You know what it was like from our phone conversations. I appreciated your calls. They were a bright spot in my hospital stay.

DG

Sid_Vicious
04-03-2006, 07:34 AM
A very good friend once told me upon my saying "Thanks for listening and talking me through this time of peril" in a past segment of my life..."I got more back in return Sid." At the very least, consider you and I are equal beneficiaries. Funny how these things gift back. Take care...sid~~~learning more about life even while in this "ol'Dog Age"