PDA

View Full Version : Gambling Debt Handling?

Sid_Vicious
04-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Ok, say you play one of your regulars for cash and it gets much deeper at the end and you basically over fish his pond and sting him hard. The protocol has always been a gentleman's agreement to stack air money and pay latter when these times occur, but this particular time it got twice as deep as it ever has, end of the night statement from the guy was, "I'll see you tomorrow, pay you and we'll play again." That was two Saturdays ago, I seen the guy once(following Sunday, not the next day when I was there) he kept a distance so I approached him but respectfully didn't ask for cash, and he said he'd come over after he finished a cheap set of 10-ball. Couple of hours passed, him a no-show for our business so I gave him space and cruised out.

Do you hawk the "owee"? If I could run into him, I'd simply ask, "When we getting even?", but he's uncustomarily a no-show at the PH these days. With today's cell phones and the such, I have some confidential friends who can let me know when he's in-house, but I wanted advice on how to deal with someone who has always paid off before, even if it took a couple of weeks. It makes me wish I'd won half as much, and that sucks to admit, but my payback might be here already had I not hosed the guy in that last desperation move he made to get a big chunk back before the bar closed down. Tia...sid

Drop1
04-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Always hawk the "owee" Had he lost,would he have walked with your money? I think he would have. I had something like that happen to me years ago. I found the guy playing in another pool hall,and took his cue,and told him when I got my money,he would get his cue. He never paid,and I still have his Tad. "If you can't run with the big dogs,stay on the porch" thats the way gambling works.

Sid_Vicious
04-02-2006, 01:01 PM
What if he began a physical attack? Seriously, where is the line drawn when considering a $????sid

Nostroke
04-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Every situation is different. Coaxing $$ from a reluctant debtor is an art. I dont know the circumstances but half a loaf is better than none. You might have to try getting half now and the rest later in dribs or drabs later and be happy if he just stiffs you on the dribs and drabs.

or Get him to admit in front of some serial killer type that he owes you the money and then have the serial killer buy the debt from you. This actually happened by accident once with me. The guy wound up owing a very bad character who he had to pay instead of little old me. I got paid and everyone was happy but the stiff.

Drop1
04-02-2006, 07:35 PM
I took the fellows cue,because he owed me money. If I were in the same situation today,I would talk to some friends to persuade the "owee" to be a good fellow,and pay the debt.

kyle
04-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Tell him you'll sell his debt, then make sure the whole town knows he's a welcher.

Deeman3
04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What if he began a physical attack? Seriously, where is the line drawn when considering a $????sid <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Sid,

Surely Texas has not become that complacent since I left, use that cue stick you weild so well against this fellon's head. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sid, you either gotta get your gambling skills in line or just give it up altogether. This touchy, feely hustling your engaging in is getting some of these guys the idea that Texas players just can't make up their minds. From now on, have them stack the money on the lights, then play them with the player winning removing the money after each game/set. When they don't have any more money to stack up, let them go. This is called the Texas Catch and Release Program. Join up!</font color>

Deeman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

supergreenman
04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What if he began a physical attack? Seriously, where is the line drawn when considering a $????sid <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Sid,

Surely Texas has not become that complacent since I left, use that cue stick you weild so well against this fellon's head. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sid, you either gotta get your gambling skills in line or just give it up altogether. This touchy, feely hustling your engaging in is getting some of these guys the idea that Texas players just can't make up their minds. From now on, have them stack the money on the lights, then play them with the player winning removing the money after each game/set. When they don't have any more money to stack up, let them go. This is called the Texas Catch and Release Program. Join up!</font color>

Deeman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I was about to say, around here the money is put up or there is no bet, end of story. As for collecting from the deadbeat, I would bring it up with him infront of who ever he's playing "cheap sets" with. That way he doesn't burn anybody else.

Vagabond
04-05-2006, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> The protocol has always been a gentleman's agreement to stack air money and pay latter when these <hr /></blockquote>

A gentleman in it`s true sense will NOT play with AIR BARREL.
Hey sid, is your next post going to be ``two guys jumped on me in the parking lot.shall I report to the police?``
Sid, u need to keep your life clean-stop going to bar rooms and playing on Bar boxes and leagues.

Lashlarue
04-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Ask for your money, don't be shy. If he doesn't pay up , spread the word hes a deadbeat. If he's a regular it will kill him that he can't get a game.If you lend a so called friend $20 and you never see him again, it was money well spent! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nostroke
04-08-2006, 07:19 AM
It doesnt matter who you tell, these guys will keep getting played. There are very good examples of this with well publicized stiffs in the NY area and they get played with no extra effort at all.

Still I'd try to hang him with the nickname "Bad Action Johnny" or Paulie the Stiff. Something along those lines.

Sid_Vicious
04-08-2006, 07:57 AM
We've played each other on air numerous times, so I can't be critical in that regard. it is a matter of having the guy seemingly vanish from being at the ph at his natural times, and I am simply looking to see if I should put out feelers and actually hunting him down on this larger loss. If I don't bump into him, I can't ask any questions. make sense now???.sid

PoolSharkAllen
04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Sid: If you didn't gamble, you wouldn't have to worry about a physical attack. Truly, is it worth the $$ to be worrying about an attack or how to collect from a deadbeat?

Sid_Vicious
04-08-2006, 08:36 AM
I never considered the possiblity before, or now for that matter. Someone else put the idea in my head by saying, "He's a pretty big guy Sid." This was simply an episode of letting cheap sets get deep at the end, and stacking a loss of double anything we've ever lost to one another. I'm sure it'll all work out without altercations...sid