PDA

View Full Version : Opinion

RexPool
04-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Today i went to the bar to shoot, and i forgot my cue at home so i used a house stick. to my surprise i shot really well with it better then my stick, the bar stick was 21 oz and alot less flismy and strong also one peice so it was more of wood hit, while my stick is a players C995 and is a screw together, 19 0z, and is metal to wodd, its a nice cue and my father shoots good with it, but i feel good shooting with the bar cue, and i have used my cue more also so i know that it isnt because my lack of using it, please post what you think might be happening here>?

tjlmbklr
04-02-2006, 06:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RexPool:</font><hr> Today i went to the bar to shoot, and i forgot my cue at home so i used a house stick. to my surprise i shot really well with it better then my stick, the bar stick was 21 oz and alot less flismy and strong also one peice so it was more of wood hit, while my stick is a players C995 and is a screw together, 19 0z, and is metal to wodd, its a nice cue and my father shoots good with it, but i feel good shooting with the bar cue, and i have used my cue more also so i know that it isnt because my lack of using it, please post what you think might be happening here&gt;? <hr /></blockquote>

I believe in a good cue and keeping it in good shape. But there are days that I bring my Sneaky Pete to the bar and shoot like crap. Then there are days I can pick up to only semi-straight cue that ends up having one of those press on tips that gives it the really soft hitting feel that well how should I say.......SUCKS and it is about 15mm wide, and shoot the lights out. The the moral of the story if you got it, you can adapt to any cue..!

Drop1
04-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Mark the cue,and shoot with it several times. If it really works better for you,try and buy it.

moblsv
04-02-2006, 08:03 PM
My opinion, it's probably in your mind.

Don't expect the cue to change everything, you might end up like some of my golf buddies who seem to change drivers and sets of irons every other month. It seems our minds tend to deceive us into thinking it's not our fault we miss; I can fix my game with a change in equipment.

My weakness with this is changing tips. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It may not work but it's relatively cheap.

pooltchr
04-03-2006, 04:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> It seems our minds tend to deceive us into thinking it's not our fault we miss; I can fix my game with a change in equipment.

<hr /></blockquote>

Any time I miss a shot, it is the result of something I did wrong. If I don't believe that, how can I ever get better? If I blame the equipment, I have lost control of my game. If it's something I did wrong, then it is something I can fix. Every roll I ever got (good or bad) is the result of what I did when I shot the shot.
Changing cues doesn't make me play better or worse. Changing the way I use it, does.
Steve

Fran Crimi
04-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Heavier cues are generally better for shot making. You'll pocket balls better but you'll have more trouble getting position for your next shot with a heavier cue due to less feel.

Fran

Snapshot9
04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
What I conclude:

1) You might have a few minor erratic movements in your
stroke, and the heavier cue smoothed them out for you.
2) The house cue has a 'stiffer' hit than what you are
used to, and experienced players usually graduate to
stiffer shafts and harder tips.

Suggestion: Not all that expensive to do would be to find
a cuemaker and have him make you a Sneaky Pete to your tastes, with a stiff shaft and harder tip. Forward balance it (19" from butt end), and it you went up in a weight a little, it
would not be very noticeable, and would not be butt heavy.
I like SS joints, but I think a SS or phenolic joint would do just fine. Although some cuemakers get premium prices for their Sneakies, my cuemaker has them for under $200.

Bumps
04-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Many years ago, an old timer who had been playing about 40 years came in, picked a cue out of the rack, and ran 80 balls with it. This guy was a "cue nut", someone who was always looking for just the right cue to buy. He hadn't run that many in YEARS. I doubt it had anything to do with the cue. Just one of those days when everything fell into place. Whenever I've acquired a new cue over the years, I've always played very well with it for the first few days, then gone back to normal. Don't know why.

kevinkins
04-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I think in the short term new situations like using a new cue or playing in a new pool hall will make people focus more and play better for a while - like for an evening. The challenge is to create these "situations" every time you walk up to the table and produce consistent play.

Kevin