PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning linen wrap

TimFXF
04-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Before I do something stupid (yet again)... How should I clean the linen wrap on my cue? It's just starting to feel a little tacky from hand oils.

pooltchr
04-03-2006, 04:12 AM
I wet a clean cloth with some spray starch. It pulls the dirt and chalk dust out, and also helps seal up the wrap and give it a nice finish.
Steve

Fran Crimi
04-03-2006, 05:26 AM
A cue maker once told me you can use a tiny bit of soap and water. Get all the soap out and let the wrap dry. It will be pilly and fuzzy from the wash. Take a brown paper bag and rub it over the wrap so the oils from the bag will get into the wrap and smooth it down.

I tried it once on an old cue. Seemed to work very well. The key is not to get the wrap too wet.

Fran

McKinneyMiner
04-03-2006, 05:30 AM
To make the wrap really smooth after cleaning it take a shot glass (real glass, not plastic) and run it over the wrap vigorously and completely while turning the cue in your hand.

This will press the linen down and make it really smooth.

My 7-year old daughter helped me with mine this weekend and it is as smooth as the day it was put on.

Bumps
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM
This is after the fact, but if you have a cue made, ask that the linen be pressed and polished. This isn't done by a lot of cuemakers today, many prefer to just wind on the linen and leave the threads round without pressing. This seems to allow a lot more dirt and/or oil, etc. to seep in between the threads. When Dan Dishaw took off the leather from my cue and rewrapped it with linen, he pressed and polished it. I've had the cue with the linen since '96 and haven't had a problem with cleaning it other than to wipe it down with a clean coth.

Rangercap
04-04-2006, 09:26 AM
I have tried using the old "Quick Clean" pool table cleaner. It says it is safe on linen wraps. It came out O.K. I now use the Blue Coral automotive upholstery "dry cleaner." Works great, cheap, and a can lasts forever. I just sprayed it lightly, and let it sit for a few minutes. I then wipe with a clean towel, let dry, and lightly iron on a low setting.

I have also heard about rubbing the wrap using fabric softener sheets for protecting wrap once cleaned, but I have not tried this option.

Brian