PDA

View Full Version : Insurance checks

UWPoolGod
04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Can you cash an insurance check to repair a car that you own that was damaged by another? Some of my friends say that you can but I am a little apprehensive. I am not sure that I want to spend $500 deductible to repair a car that is only worth $3000 and will soon be gettind a new car anyways.

cueball1950
04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
If the check is made out to you and not both you and a lean holder, then the check is yours. Are you still making payments on this vehicle. Lien holder may insist that you get it fixed or else use it to pay the lein off. i had a nephew that got rear ended by another truck doing about 40 mph atleast. and he took his check and used part of it to buy a different truck. is the check from your or the other parties insurance company. how much is the check for? not being nosy. i would just use the check as a down payment on the new car and sell the other car the way it is and as is and for what ever you can get for it.this answer is based in part on your reasoning that you want to get a new/different car...............Mike

UWPoolGod
04-04-2006, 09:12 AM
I go through Progressive and the check is for $750 and my deductible is $500. The check is made out to me and my lien holder because Progressive has not removed them as my lien holder. I finished paying off my car 3 or 4 months ago and requested online that they be removed. I have the title now and it is in my name. So I would just have to take it to my credit union and have them sign off on it that I own the car. Yes, I have been looking for a new car for the past year, even when I still owed on it. I am going to be purchasing one in the next few months..unless I can wait for the Dodge Nitro coming out at the end of the year. VVVRRROOOMMMM. Thanks for your response. It pretty much echos every other persons response.