PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Paul "Turk" Vartigan

cueball1950
04-03-2006, 11:06 PM
i have learned that a man who i admire and used to play 3 cushion with passed away a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea it had happened. And i keep up on the death notices every day. Must have missed this one for sure.
The man that used to run a couple of pool halls here in Troy, N.Y. I will say this about Paul "Turk" Vartigan... he was a character like none other. I can remember one time when Turk was playing our own Dick Leonard some 9 ball back in the early to mid 70's for about 30 a game. decent money back then. Anyway, Turk and Dick are playing and 2 other gentlemen are playing 3 cushion at the same time and getting a little loud. Turk yells over and tells them to keep it down and that he is playing for 30 a game. and 1 of them yells back to Turk..."Big deal". we are playing 25 points for 500 so you keep quiet. this he tells to Turk who owns the pool hall. Turk was indeed a character. Loved to gamble. bet on anything. wished i had known he had passed. i would have gone to the wake. oh well...Rest in peace my long lost friend...My prayers and heartfelt thoughts go out to your family..............Mike

TimFXF
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm guessing that "Turk" loved the game. Played the game. And didn't complain....

Your comments only did him proud. Well said.

DickLeonard
04-04-2006, 05:22 AM
Cueball1950 I was out of town for two weeks when I got back I heard Turk died. I played a few battles with Turk but many more were waged at the Ale House after closing. Nobody ever misses when the alcholol starts speaking.

Turk played much better three cushion than he did pool but where could you go playing three cushion in that era. I think he could have been around when Sheldon Smith was playing three cushion at Whitey's.

May he rest is peace.####