PDA

View Full Version : That killer instinct... I sure miss it

sack316
04-05-2006, 03:53 AM
not sure the direction this post will go... but it is almost 6 in the morning and I'm still up, so I preface with an apology for anything that doesn't make sense.

So anyway, back in the days of the "bad" Sack (the bad drinking times) as an up-and-comer I was a brutal and heartless on the table as they come. My stroke seemed to be there when it was needed. I could take over a league match anytime I wanted it seemed... and the same goes for money games. I played well and didn't feel bad if anyone's feelings got hurt. I had a certain aura about me, and that ultimate killer instict where I would easily exploit any weakness that I found. I'm not trying to brag about my past playing, or revel in some old glory... those weren't even my words. That was something just told to me these past few weeks by an old friend that knows my game well. I've worked hard to get back to being an almost decent player again (imo), but even when I'm on with my game that certain something isn't there.

When I am gambling, it's almost always seeming to be like a friendly game to me. I feel bad when I run away with it and I either shut down or offer some rediculous spot. I don't know why, but something inside me is subconciously keeping me from going for the throat. The other night I had a guy jawing to everyone. Now I can still set up matches well for people playing with my money, so thats what I did. I took a girl who's never gambled and set up the game and she won. I still know the game obviously (which I guess is why people have me determine races and spots for them still), but when I'm playing it it seems that drive isn't there. I played that same guy that was jawing (we is a friend, mind you) and jumped up on him quick and could have absolutely fleeced him--- but I wound up dumping.

I sometimes fool myself into thinking I'm setting them up for next time, but I know the reality is that something in me just won't let me go for it. Besides, I can't be setting them up when everyone already thinks I'm much better than I actually am (my old reputation precedes me I guess). I've got another buddy who I know needs at least the 8 from me, and now we're playing tight even up.

Don't mistake me, I am having a blast playing still and enjoy all the times I'm having. But I would like to be able to pull out the old me sometime and just throw down on the table. So what I guess I'm asking in all of this is how do you get that mental killer instinct back again once it's gone? I always thought I just had to get my stroke back and the rest would naturally fall into place, but now I'm starting to see there is something in my brain not clicking right, and now I'm afraid that it's holding me back from stepping up to the next level.

any help is appreciated, and hope it all made sense!

Sack

Deeman3
04-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Sack,

I think you will get it back but you have changed your life quite a bit and the delicate balance that makes a guy hardened to battle just may take a while to get back, if you want it back, in particular. In my opinion, you have won the most important match you'll ever play. If your game comes back strong, that much the better but you have already won the big prize.

Deeman

Stretch
04-05-2006, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> not sure the direction this post will go... but it is almost 6 in the morning and I'm still up, so I preface with an apology for anything that doesn't make sense.

So anyway, back in the days of the "bad" Sack (the bad drinking times) as an up-and-comer I was a brutal and heartless on the table as they come. My stroke seemed to be there when it was needed. I could take over a league match anytime I wanted it seemed... and the same goes for money games. I played well and didn't feel bad if anyone's feelings got hurt. I had a certain aura about me, and that ultimate killer instict where I would easily exploit any weakness that I found. I'm not trying to brag about my past playing, or revel in some old glory... those weren't even my words. That was something just told to me these past few weeks by an old friend that knows my game well. I've worked hard to get back to being an almost decent player again (imo), but even when I'm on with my game that certain something isn't there.

When I am gambling, it's almost always seeming to be like a friendly game to me. I feel bad when I run away with it and I either shut down or offer some rediculous spot. I don't know why, but something inside me is subconciously keeping me from going for the throat. The other night I had a guy jawing to everyone. Now I can still set up matches well for people playing with my money, so thats what I did. I took a girl who's never gambled and set up the game and she won. I still know the game obviously (which I guess is why people have me determine races and spots for them still), but when I'm playing it it seems that drive isn't there. I played that same guy that was jawing (we is a friend, mind you) and jumped up on him quick and could have absolutely fleeced him--- but I wound up dumping.

I sometimes fool myself into thinking I'm setting them up for next time, but I know the reality is that something in me just won't let me go for it. Besides, I can't be setting them up when everyone already thinks I'm much better than I actually am (my old reputation precedes me I guess). I've got another buddy who I know needs at least the 8 from me, and now we're playing tight even up.

Don't mistake me, I am having a blast playing still and enjoy all the times I'm having. But I would like to be able to pull out the old me sometime and just throw down on the table. So what I guess I'm asking in all of this is how do you get that mental killer instinct back again once it's gone? I always thought I just had to get my stroke back and the rest would naturally fall into place, but now I'm starting to see there is something in my brain not clicking right, and now I'm afraid that it's holding me back from stepping up to the next level.

any help is appreciated, and hope it all made sense!

Sack <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Sack. Well not haveing ever played at the level you describe i don't know whether my advice would be of much use. But i understand about the killer instinct. I think that's more associated with youth. Everyone Mellows out with age, then the tendency becomes doing things smarter instead of harder you know what i mean? The point is, you know you've still got it, you just have to pick your battles.

I don't know Sack. the whole "killer Instinct" thing just don't sit good with me anyway. Killing anything is a nasty job and your going to get your hands dirty. I'd say let yourself off the hook and look at it as being a great CLOSER. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St. &lt; it all comes down to the last three balls &gt;

Bumps
04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I responded to your post via email, but it was returned: "mailbox unavailable".

sack316
04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Deeman-- ah my friend, you are ever so talented at putting the bigger picture into perspective. Thanks for that, and you are indeed correct sir.

Stretch-- thanks for your response as well. And don't worry about the level you play at, in all honesty I still don't think I was ever as good of a player as people think I am. My strength WAS always that mental part. That I could outfox a stronger shooter and make a weaker one feel up to par at the same time. Yet somehow I would almost always come out on top. I think you are right about mellowing out, because I have been a cucumber this last year and a half.

Bumps-- thanks for taking the time to attempt to email me. An "oops" on my part there for not taking the 2 seconds needed to update my profile! Sorry! if you wanna try again shoot me on at sack316@charter.net or you can feel free to PM me as well on here. Sorry you wasted some time teempting to email me. You think I would have changed that 3 years ago when my email changed too, huh?

Sack

SPetty
04-05-2006, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> I responded to your post via email, but it was returned: "mailbox unavailable". <hr /></blockquote>Well then, perhaps you'd share it here for all of us?

Sid_Vicious
04-05-2006, 02:20 PM
This may have absolutely no bearing on the situation, but I've "dried out" my drinking habit a few times and even though my overall skill set and mechanics tweaked up afterwards, my zeal and fun-for-beating focal drive flattened. It is probably just me, but I can't seem to surface the same ballzy, "gonna beat you" drive when I've been on the wagon, and I mean when I don't have a single nagging feeling of wanting a drink, the spunk just becomes blasť. Like I said, probably just me...sid

Bumps
04-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Sack, sent same. LOL!

Drop1
04-07-2006, 12:09 PM
You are not the same person,and never wil be. Your story sounds like mine,but "The moving finger writes,and haven written moves on.Not all your words,nor wit can lure it back or all your tears wash away a word of it." This is National Poetry Month.

PoolSharkAllen
04-08-2006, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> "The moving finger writes,and haven written moves on.Not all your words,nor wit can lure it back or all your tears wash away a word of it." This is National Poetry Month. <hr /></blockquote>

Drop: It's good to see someone reading Omar Khayyam's one-thousand year old "Rubayat"! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif