PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Nest Question....

Gayle in MD
04-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Not only do I have a bird's nest in the wreath on my front door, but it has eggs in it, so I can't open the door. Do you think if I moved the nest just over to the side of the bump out, (The front of my foyer bumps out) that the mother bird would find it and still take care of it.

I am wondering if this is the same bird from two years ago. When I arrived home one night my girlfriend let me off, so I used the front door instead of the garage entrance. Jim was in Ocean City, and it was a girl's night out, birthday celebration, Martini's, in fact, too many Martini's....when I opened the door, in flew the mother bird. Nothing like chasing a bird around a three story house for four hours after four Martini's....at two thirty in the morning!!!!

Gayle in Md.....would rather lose the use of my front door is it isn't safe to move the (Wreath) nest....anyone know?

pooltchr
04-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Gayle,
Disturbing the nest may cause the mother to abandon it. Best to call your local animal control experts and see what they suggest. It may depend on what kind of birds they are.
Steve

Deeman3
04-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Gayle,

If you move the wreath and nest intact a few feet away, you will probably get away with it. Make sure your hands don't touch the nest or the eggs as this will confuse the mother bird and she may abandom them over the human smell. If you move the nest by itself, the bird will also probably abandom it as she thought of the wreath as cover for her nest.

Good Luck.

Deeman
birdman of Alabama....

pooltchr
04-05-2006, 09:10 AM
If you do it yourself, Make sure you wear gloves to keep your scent off the nest

supergreenman
04-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow, eggs delivered to your doorstep, what service. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I get inquiries like this at work almost everyday. We tell people if they are concerned about the welfare of the animals, it's best just to leave them alone. A month and a bit of not being able to use your front door is a small sacrifice for having a front row seat to one of natures miricals. Enjoy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
04-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Thanks for all the responses, and Supergreenman, that's about what I was thinking, too. It'll be a bit inconvenient, especially when we're out there in the evenings, on the porch, going in and out, but hey, my grand-daughter is going to love seeing the babies when they hatch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The mother bird chose a good spot, and I realized, if I move the wreath, around the corner, they won't get the warmth of the setting sun in the evenings, then I'll be worried they're cold....haven't gotten a good look at the bird yet, she flies away so fast when I open the door....must be a little starling, three little blue eggs, now I'll have to get after my neighbors cat, he also likes the evening sun there....so I'll have to move the flower stands on either side of the door...hell, maybe I'll just move out of the house for a while, LOL...

Gayle in Md.

dtomasi
04-06-2006, 02:27 AM
Hi Gayle,

If the mother bird is a starling, here is a link that you might find helpful: http://www.starlingtalk.com/starlings.htm

Good luck with you new foster family. I have maintained a bird and wildlife mini-sanctuary in my backyard for 7 years now. They are wonderful creatures and it is exciting to see the cycle of life throughout the year. Starlings are very intelligent birds and some of those raised around humans have been known to mimic speech.

With regard to your neighbor's cat. I have have had success keeping them away from the feeding and nesting areas by liberal use of ground cayenne pepper. It doesn't really hurt the cat, but usually, once they get a snout full, they avoid the area.

Stretch
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Thanks for all the responses, and Supergreenman, that's about what I was thinking, too. It'll be a bit inconvenient, especially when we're out there in the evenings, on the porch, going in and out, but hey, my grand-daughter is going to love seeing the babies when they hatch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The mother bird chose a good spot, and I realized, if I move the wreath, around the corner, they won't get the warmth of the setting sun in the evenings, then I'll be worried they're cold....haven't gotten a good look at the bird yet, she flies away so fast when I open the door....must be a little starling, three little blue eggs, now I'll have to get after my neighbors cat, he also likes the evening sun there....so I'll have to move the flower stands on either side of the door...hell, maybe I'll just move out of the house for a while, LOL...

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Blue eggs? Hmmmmmmm i think you got robins, they have beautiful sky blue eggs. They love doorways and vacant porches. Starlings prefer eve troffs and behind siding where they're right out of the elements. Gail, if you like birds around the house just plant a lot of different berry bushes around the property, and you'll always enjoy them. St.

wolfdancer
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Sell the house immediately....here's what could happen.
Some years ago, at a Reno,Nv golf course, one of the geese was wounded, and couldn't make the annual migration...a few others elected to stay behind...we even fed the damn things.
the next year, more of them came back, nested.....and if you came too close, well one animal trainer once said "the meanest animal he ever worked with was a goose"...so besides stepping in their droppings, or having your ball land in some....it was disparaging to have your freinds watch, while two geese chased you down the fairway.
This could happen to you....word gets around that your house is bird friendly....and soon you won't be able to open a door....or window......and then when they finally get inside......
Remember Hitchcock's "The Birds"

Deeman3
04-06-2006, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Sell the house immediately....here's what could happen.
Some years ago, at a Reno,Nv golf course, one of the geese was wounded, and couldn't make the annual migration...a few others elected to stay behind...we even fed the damn things.
the next year, more of them came back, nested.....and if you came too close, well one animal trainer once said "the meanest animal he ever worked with was a goose"...so besides stepping in their droppings, or having your ball land in some....it was disparaging to have your freinds watch, while two geese chased you down the fairway.
This could happen to you....word gets around that your house is bird friendly....and soon you won't be able to open a door....or window......and then when they finally get inside......
Remember Hitchcock's "The Birds" <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I recommend an eight iron for Geese. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

wolfdancer
04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
"I recommend an eight iron for Geese." lol !!!
In that same time frame, I was playing a good round,and beating my hot-headed friend for $$. He yelled at the foursome ahead of us on 17, to speed it up. I hit a good drive to the short par 4....he hit his badly. As I neared the green, one guy came over and threatened me for yelling, and one thing led to another...and we ended up on the ground when he tackled me. I finally got on top, and before I could get a few good licks in...his wife was beating me across the back and head with a 3 iron....My friend pulled her off, the fight ended....and for the rest of the summer i had to listen to the debate about her using the wrong iron...seems like a 9 or a wedge with the heavier head is recommended for skull beating.
I tried to have them arrested for assault....but he turned out to be head of security for MGM, and a retired Reno police Lt.

Deeman3
04-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Now that's a great story. Little did we all know that the mild mannered Wolfdancer was, in fact, a riotous rabble rouser. Of course, you Left Coast guys take the golf game much more seriouly than we do. Hell, with the cow pastures we play on, you're just damn proud to find your ball after you hit it. Apologies to all the Robert Trent Jones golf courses in Alabama.

On the rare occasions when an ex-policeman's wife takes a club to us, we just say, "Is that all you got, lady?"

After the most impressive shot I have hit in years ( a few weeks ago at a company outting) one of my foresome said, "Great shot, too bad that's the third green and we happen to be playing the eleventh!" He now has new job in the rear of the plant.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman

Gayle in MD
04-08-2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the info...and I have loads of birds, all kinds, loads of berry bushes in my woods and around the yard, and clean water, so they like it here. My only problem is when the cats show up, they also go after the baby bunnies, and baby squirrels, so I am constantly chasing them away. People who live here are not supposed to let any of their pets wander free, and all dogs must be on leash, but for some reason, the cat owners don't think the rule applies to them, so they are the biggest problem.

A closer look reveals Robin's eggs, five of them, so I have posted a small sign at the hand rail, asking people not to come on the porch. Friends and family have already been notified to call first, and we will open the garage door for them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks ...

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Hi there friend, How's it going? Will you be coming our way this summer? I hope we can get together....

Yup, They're Robin eggs. So pretty, and five of them. My life is now about watching for the cat! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to hear from you Stretch...come on down!!!

Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
04-08-2006, 05:19 AM
LMAO....Hey, we've got just about every kind of bird you can imagine here. Everything from Yellow finches, to Bald Head Eagles, Osprey, Sea Gulls, you name it, it's here! This place is like living in a rain forest!

Gayle in Md....

SPetty
04-10-2006, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> My only problem is when the cats show up, they also go after the ... baby squirrels <hr /></blockquote>We have cats. We have squirrels. We awoke one morning to the sight of a baby squirrel face and a baby squirrel tail on our bathroom rug. Those were the only parts left. Not a head, just a face.

Recently, I was accused of hitting my husband in the face with something as I went to bed. Long story short - turns out it was a baby squirrel in the bed that had hit him in the face!

Gayle in MD
04-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow...Tell him he got off easy, it could have been searching for nuts!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif