PDA

View Full Version : Stance

RexPool
04-05-2006, 01:53 PM
sometimes i feel uncomfortable with my stance, is it right to stand kind of far away from stick like of the the side of it, because if im right next to it i feel it throws off my stroke,what kind of stance do most of you use?

Billy_Bob
04-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Do what works best depending on the shot. Sometimes you need to climb up on the table to shoot a shot! Various stances...
http://www.freepoollessons.com/lessons/lessons1/stances/stances.shtml

DickLeonard
04-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Rexpool go to ####Leonard in the users list and scroll down to stance. My formula for stance is easy to learn and you can quit playing for years and fall right back into it. It does work better for short players.####

DickLeonard
04-06-2006, 06:15 AM
BillyBob the secret is to play with both hands then only the length of the table becomes a problem.####

JDB
04-06-2006, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> BillyBob the secret is to play with both hands then only the length of the table becomes a problem.#### <hr /></blockquote>
Mr. Leonard,

I commented in another thread that you started a year ago regarding two new cue delivery systems. I noticed that when I tried this new method playing off hand, it really helped me with accuracy with my left hand.

I am going to keep playing with the new grip and see if it helps.

Thanks for all of your insights.

DickLeonard
04-06-2006, 07:24 AM
JDB thanks and I am glad it is working for you. Cueball1950 can attest to my ability to play left handed for years I tried to get Joe Canton 5ft4 to play opposite hand and he felt that couldn't use his left hand. The only answer is to keep using it.
I am referring people to my old post after spending a good deal of time replying to a private email only to have the board shut down and losing the reply.####

Stretch
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> JDB thanks and I am glad it is working for you. Cueball1950 can attest to my ability to play left handed for years I tried to get Joe Canton 5ft4 to play opposite hand and he felt that couldn't use his left hand. The only answer is to keep using it.
I am referring people to my old post after spending a good deal of time replying to a private email only to have the board shut down and losing the reply.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Well i can certainly attest to to ####'s off hand shooting. The transition is seamless, and the delivery natural. When i had the pleasure of Shooting some with you Dick i never even reolized you were switching till you went lefty exclusively because of some discomfort in your right arm as i recall.

........Since that lesson /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've put off hand shots into my game, and it's been great! You know how tall i am with the reach and all. Now with the left going there is virtually nothing on the board that i can't get to, and comfortably. That's the key for me. I used to miss a lot of those shots just because i couldn't stand right, or i was contorted in some way. And you know wut? i discovered that i have much better touch and control with my left hand. Not as much power or range of shots but weight control is uncanny. St.

supergreenman
04-06-2006, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Do what works best depending on the shot. Sometimes you need to climb up on the table to shoot a shot! Various stances...
http://www.freepoollessons.com/lessons/lessons1/stances/stances.shtml <hr /></blockquote>

This is somewhat off topic, but Billybob, the site you posted belongs to Jimmy Ried, and is an excellent source of information. I'd also recommend his videos. JAM on AZ posted on the weekend that Jimmy has cancer and it seems that the state health insurance plan he belonged to went under so, if you find his material useful, purchasing some of his material would be something that would help you and him out.

James

RexPool
04-06-2006, 05:43 PM
i just went to the bar today and shot, i figured out what my problem was, i was standing to much sideways, now that ive adjusted that i aim alot better adn also alot more comfortable, also relating to the lefty right thing, im right hadned in most things, but i shoot pool left, also i can shoot with my right, not as good but still pretty good and i never had to practice it really, its nice i notice alot of people will miss shots due to bad placement and such.

walt8880
04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Rexpool go to ####Leonard in the users list and scroll down to stance. My formula for stance is easy to learn and you can quit playing for years and fall right back into it. It does work better for short players.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Mr. Leonard -

I tried to find this but was unable to find the Stance item you have referenced. Can someone provide a link to it?

thanks

Billy_Bob
04-07-2006, 12:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Do what works best depending on the shot. Sometimes you need to climb up on the table to shoot a shot! Various stances...
http://www.freepoollessons.com/lessons/lessons1/stances/stances.shtml <hr /></blockquote>

This is somewhat off topic, but Billybob, the site you posted belongs to Jimmy Ried, and is an excellent source of information. I'd also recommend his videos. JAM on AZ posted on the weekend that Jimmy has cancer and it seems that the state health insurance plan he belonged to went under so, if you find his material useful, purchasing some of his material would be something that would help you and him out.

James <hr /></blockquote>

Will do. I already have some of his videos, but will order his latest.

Sorry to hear about this. Jimmy Reid has *really* helped me to "put it all together" so far as run outs go. I learned this from his older videos. I highly recommend his older videos, but of course have yet to see his new videos. FYI - here is where to order his videos...
http://www.freepoollessons.com/video/index.shtml

Billy_Bob
04-07-2006, 12:58 AM
P.S. Order Jimmy Reid's new videos here...
http://www.freepoollessons.com

DickLeonard
04-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Walt8880 go to the top of the page it starts with menu and ends with users list. Hit user list, the first up is ####Leonard hit that and my profile shows at the bottom of the page there is a link to read my posts. You will also be able to search for anyones post by alphabetical order. I hope this helps.

Maybe Fran can help me in retrieving the posts and I can just repost them.####

DickLeonard
04-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Stretch with your height playing both hands has all the advantages you may never use a bridge again.####

Stretch
04-07-2006, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Stretch with your height playing both hands has all the advantages you may never use a bridge again.#### <hr /></blockquote>

A Bridge? That's a funny name for the Lady's Aid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

Stretch
04-07-2006, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RexPool:</font><hr> i just went to the bar today and shot, i figured out what my problem was, i was standing to much sideways, now that ive adjusted that i aim alot better adn also alot more comfortable, also relating to the lefty right thing, im right hadned in most things, but i shoot pool left, also i can shoot with my right, not as good but still pretty good and i never had to practice it really, its nice i notice alot of people will miss shots due to bad placement and such. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Rex. You noticed that too eh? Ya i see it a lot as well, your lookin down the guys shot line and you just know he's way off. Sure enough..........

That happens a lot with players that sidestep into thier next ball. Never do that! lol As well as inviteing alignment problems it eliminates the very neccesary step of faceing the shot and visualizing, or "seeing" the shot then steping into it and falling into a natural consistant address posture. If you have a routine stick to it for every ball.

It's great that you were able to identify a problem area and fine tune it. St. &gt;every shot starts from the ground up&lt;