PDA

View Full Version : Article about Helmstetter and golf, etc.

Leviathan
04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Stumbled across this article while looking for info about Helmstetter cues.--AS

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200307myshot.html

Fran Crimi
04-05-2006, 05:51 PM
I just wish he would have given more back to the game. He certainly made his share of money off the pool players with his cue business. Now he's a gazillionaire. He's no Kevin Trudeau.

Fran

Leviathan
04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi, Fran--Hope all is well with you these days. I know almost nothing about Helmstetter's role in the pool world--only that his company produced some pretty nice cues in Japan. I've been trying to get a line on one model (the 97-16) that has a retro look I like a lot, but they're out of production and are getting hard to find. Regards, AS

SPetty
04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote the linked article:</font><hr>Three tips for the amateur pool player: Aim the cue before you take your stance -- most novices do just the opposite. Get some gin and wipe down the top half of the cue, so it slides easily along your fingers. Finally, if you meet a stranger and he bets you $20 he can make the 8-ball jump out of the center of the rack, spit beer in your ear and whistle "The Star-Spangled Banner," walk away. Because if you take the bet, within moments you'll have your hand over your heart and beer will be leaking out of your ear.<hr /></blockquote>Gin??!?

tateuts
04-06-2006, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Stumbled across this article while looking for info about Helmstetter cues.--AS

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200307myshot.html <hr /></blockquote>

What a character - interesting fellow. I tried to call him myself to ask him some questions about Adam history, particularly the Adam/Brunswick connection, but I couldn't even reach his assistant. He was no longer located at the Calloway office - I gathereed he's not with them any longer.

Chris

JPB
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Stumbled across this article while looking for info about Helmstetter cues.--AS

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200307myshot.html <hr /></blockquote>

What a character - interesting fellow. I tried to call him myself to ask him some questions about Adam history, particularly the Adam/Brunswick connection, but I couldn't even reach his assistant. He was no longer located at the Calloway office - I gathereed he's not with them any longer.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I think he retired. Can't remember if it was before or after Ely Callaway died. After Callaway's death there was a big corporate merger and stuff. I forget all the details as I have stopped caring about the equipment companies for the most part.

Leviathan
04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi, SPetty--I almost had a stroke when I read that! Regards, Alan

DickLeonard
04-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Spetty I always thought it was Jose Cuervo with the worm in the bottle.####

04-10-2006, 07:55 AM
He hasn't done a whole bunch for pool, Fran, but he's been quite generous on the 3-C side, sponsoring or helping to sponsor any number of tournaments. And his generosity towards his fellow cuemakers, especially Richard Black, is the stuff of legends. GF

DickLeonard
04-10-2006, 12:58 PM
071838 Nice to see your posting GF.####

bigjake
04-10-2006, 02:52 PM
any truth to wiping down the shaft with gin, i suppose the alcohol might clean out dirt and stuff, but who knows at least your cue would smell good

04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Dick. Glad to see you're still around too. Best, G

DickLeonard
04-11-2006, 05:22 AM
BigJake I never heard of gin before it was posted on the CCB I would try Listerine there is enuff alcohol it that and it would take away smokers breath.
In Watervliet where I come from BehrManning manufactured sandpaper, there was enuff of the smoothest sandpaper that most poolplayers would never have to resort to gin. From talcum powder to the smoothest grit. I still have some 40 years later.####