PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts....

Voodoo Daddy
07-05-2002, 01:29 AM
I have been playing in the same room now for almost 10 years. I spend time with some younger adults that really want to learn this great game. One thing I preach is when your not shooting, sit in the chair and be quiet. Not walk around the table, grab chalk off the table while the other player is at the table, yell across the room at their buddy to play a certain "Lil Bow Wow" song on the CD box. Those that do that cant be reached nor do they have the desire to be. The people I will talk about are the adults that "think" they play in our room.

The one guy walks around with his nose in the air at all of us, he has a very bad attitude. He forever breaks some unwritten rules at the table. When a person is playing behind him, he nevers gives way or when he does he stands right behind that player somewhat frustrated that HE has to wait. I mentioned to him it wasnt polite to stand there and the right thing to do is walk away from the table away from the shooters line of sight, he looked at me like I was from Pluto. The other man refuses to look behind him while he wanders around the felt pulpit and is always whacking the person behind him with his cue. He is an older man and has a similar attitude, I tried to explain the facts to him but he doesnt want to hear it either.

These men truely believe they know what they are doing but are clearly clueless. My question of the week is; Not that where they are from matters {because it doesnt} but do you have versions of these players in your pool room? Tell me your story...

Voodoo

cheesemouse
07-05-2002, 07:03 AM
Voodoo,
There was this guy who smoked cigars and he never took it out of his mouth when he was playing. The ash would grow so long that you couldn't help but watch it because you just knew the long ash was going to drop off on to the playing surface but it rarely did. When he racked the balls he would blow this perfect smoke ring as he pulled the rack off. The ring would slowly go down to the balls and spread out over them, it was actually kind of impressive. In addtion when he had a thought provoking shot he would stand there and blow one big ring and several little ones that would quickly travel through the slow big one, never taking the cigar out of his mouth while doing it. He was really a nice guy and good action to boot. When you were at the table running balls he was always sitting in his chair entertaining the sweaters with his smoke ring blowing skill. He was difficult to fad but a funny personality and worth the bother because he was other wise a perfect gentleman to gamble with. You just had to like this guy. Most guys couldn't handle his routine but they were missing out on a good game. I never played him a session that I didn't enjoy, win or lose. I almost forgot; he could blow rings out of each nostrol at the same time. If you played with him long enough and you were a smoker yourself you would find yourself sitting in your chair practicing your own smoke ring blowing skills...LOL.....I guess my point is some guys can have irritating habits but if they consistant and generally a nice person they can get away with it somehow......

Retardo
07-05-2002, 07:27 AM
There is an old bastard here in town who after every shot, yanks his stick back several feet like he is pulling it out of a fire. The tables are super close but he never once looks behind him to see if anyone is there.

He will practice the same shot from the same spot over and over with his stick flying back on each shot to within two feet of the adjoining table, totally oblivious to the fact that that someone may need to shoot in that space. You have to yell at him or bump into him a couple of times to get him to step back 6 inches. They let him shoot at one of the better tables because he is there every day. When i used to go to this room, it was "time off" when he got the table near me.

rackmup
07-05-2002, 07:34 AM
We have a guy that plays in our 8-ball league that fits the bill. He struts around the room with his nose so high in the air, if it rained, he would surely drown.

He wears his little glove, has his little magnetic chalk holder (that he has trouble keeping on his belt as his beer gut and jelly roll continually knock it off). He never shakes your hand after a match, never smiles and to top it all off...

...last week he shows up at the room with the biggest damned case you have ever seen! It was one of those that a cue sales rep would carry (to show cues.) It was about 12"X12" and the guy has only two cues in it! During his matches, he could be seen staring at his case, probably thinking "Man...I am cool."

He stands in your line of sight, twiddles his thumbs while you are shooting and grabs chalk from the rail as you are about to pull the trigger on blackie EVERYTIME.

He is s twit.

But I get my joy from knowing somewhere, someplace, there is a sales person that sold him that industrial-size case, laughing just as hard as I am.

Regards,

Ken (thinks cd boxes should be banned in all pool rooms until after midnight)

Kato
07-05-2002, 08:04 AM
Voodoo, there are a bunch of youngsters that play at my room. I try to teach them the right way and how to show respect. One guy would walk right to the pocket his opponent would shoot into while chalking his cue. Then, if the guy missed he'd coach him on what to do. I said, "Hey man, lets play some cheap" He says no problem I lose the flip and he breaks and makes nothing. I'm going to shoot the 1 ball in the corner and he stands over the pocket. I stood up and told him it was ok, he didn't need to be at the table since he wouldn't come back except to rack. Needless to say, his lesson was 50 bucks, he now has respect for others and we've become friends.

There is also a 17 year old girl that helps us run our Sunday night tourny. She also plays and gets the 7 out. Well she stands at the table the whole time and just chats away. She's pretty and has a couple of very impressive "things going on" with her game and is pretty distracting to say the least. I just don't have the heart to tell her to sit down.

Kato~~~heartless wimp vs. souless bastard.

07-05-2002, 08:20 AM
I guess I'm fortunate in the sense that part of my time playing pool happens in a bar. About once a week, on average, I have to endure the drunks and sports fanatics, waitresses and crammed spaces. Because of this, I've learned to look behind me as I'm getting down on my shot. I've leaarned to be conscious of my surroundings and to give way to the guy running to the bathroom at full speed. Poolrooms just seem like a breath of fresh air in comparison!

However, I still can't stand the guy who picks up the chalk as I'm shooting. My immediate reply: "When I'm shooting, that's my chalk. When I miss, it's yours! So do me a favor and put my chalk down."

It's important to command your space at the table. If you have an opponent that's getting a little close, then let your cue hang so that it's parallel to the floor and circle the table. I assure you, one lap around the table and there's no doubt he'll be at least five feet away for the rest of the inning.

Just last Tuesday after I broke the balls, some guy decided now was the time to walk up to me and start asking me questions. I answered them as politely as I could and proceeded to run out the table. My teammates were astonished and said, "How could you maintain your focus with that guy interrupting you?" I simply told them I always wear shark repelant! No matter how annoying these irritations might be, you still have to deal with them no matter where you go. Better to change a little then try and change the world.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Wally_in_Cincy
07-05-2002, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> The one guy walks around with his nose in the air at all of us, he has a very bad attitude. <hr></blockquote>

Sounds like "CL" at SnookerS. He's the only one of the regulars that shows his a$$ (or the only one that I'm personally aware of).

Below is copied from my previous post concerning "CL":

*snip* Location: Local annual APA team 8-ball championship tournament.

I'm matched against a guy I'll call "CL" (Tom in Cincy knows CL because CL also plays in the Cincinnati Straight Pool League). CL is the only player in the CSPL that I am aware of who has ever displayed poor sportsmanship in that league and he continued his normal pattern in the APA event last night.

I won the lag, broke, made a ball. While I'm shooting CL proceeds to the adjacent table, which was vacant, puts quarters in and proceeds to PRACTICE !! One of my teammates goes and gets a ref. Ref comes over to CL's table, rakes the balls into the pockets and chews him out for doing something so blatantly against the rules. CL rolls his eyes in dramatic fashion.

At one point CL is getting ready to shoot at a stripe which almost touching a solid. We called a ref over to watch the hit (we are encouraged to do that to avoid arguments). CL rolls his eyes in dramatic fashion. He's obviously such a good player he could never make a bad hit.

I win the second game and break. DUD RACK !! I hammered that break and barely hit 4 balls to the rail. Nothing went past the footstring. *snip*

This is the same guy who refuses to call his shots in 14.1 (I mean banks, caroms, combos, balls out of the stack) he won't call nothin' unless you insist and then he makes a big show of calling EVERY SHOT in a sarcastic fashion.

Really chaps my a$$

Tom_In_Cincy
07-05-2002, 08:59 AM
I'll vouch for Wally's post.... CL is dire need of some social skills training..

Tom_In_Cincy
07-05-2002, 09:08 AM
We have two players in our PH that seem to think that they must get mad and cuss and yell, every time they miss a ball. These two players complain about everything.... cloth, rails, balls, bad rolls and bad luck, almost all the time.

Sad part is, that they are capable of playing much better than they do.

I still do not understand how someone can have such a BAD time at something and still continue to do it?

PQQLK9
07-05-2002, 10:44 AM
CELL PHONES...Ringing...ringing...ringing...playing "take me out to the ball game" and "The William Tell Overture" people who hold up the game while using these things .../ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-05-2002, 01:24 PM
I was playing in a 9 ball tourney once. I broke and nothing went in. My opponent decided to go to the restroom before he took his shot. While I sat at my table, this guy comes over, takes 3 of the balls off of my table, and places them on the table next to mine (which was not being used) to show his friend how he got out of a shot or something like that. I looked at him in disbelief (he was playing in the tourney so he knew that the tables on the side of the room we were in were for tourney players only). I told him that I was in the middle of a match. He just shrugged and said, "Oh". He then put the balls back on my table against the rail. I told my opponent when he got back and he was corteous enough to rerack and start again.

07-05-2002, 05:18 PM
hi, Voodoo- I have been involved in running a league w/ 3 divisions for about 5 years now, and every session we have at least 1 person who is so obnoxious that the other players get to the point they don't want to play the guy's team- but there is hope! Some of them do learn! We had 1 guy who would throw temper tantrums constantly- busting cues,kicking the table and hitting the table or the wall with a cue when he missed or was beaten, trying to argue w/ a ref's call, constantly belittling other players, even his own team (of which he was captain) asked one night what they could do if they didn't want to play with him anymore? Could they "fire"the captain? After several warnings on sportsmanlike conduct, he has finally figured it out, it seems. He still gets pissed, but is learning to have a sense of humor. I think what got to him was when another player started behaving like a jerk, and someone pointed out to him that the behavior he was complaining about was exactly what other players saw in him! The ones that really bug me, though (and especially as I am a ref) are the players who will nitpick other players to death on rules, but get all upset if a ref is called to watch one of their shots, or if they break a rule themselves. Even the best shooter can make a mistake....... and it is the ones who can acknowledge an error or foul gracefully that really impress me. Patti I

07-05-2002, 08:55 PM
Oh Kato.....I don't know whether to shake my head in disbelief or laugh out loud! Careful there buddy, I'm pretty sure that even in Florida, 17 is still Jailbait! LOL
On to discourteous players...that could cover just about everyone in my room!! We've got a whole slew of players that think nothing of coming up to you while you're shooting and starting a conversation, guys who walk past your table and run their hands along the rail while you're shooting, shouting across the room, throwing things to each other, the endless woofing, Oh, and my personal favorite (not!) the guy who's wife feels compelled to call every five minutes, and who also feels compelled to threaten my life for sleeping with 'her man' about four times a year!! You guys think you've got it tough? HA! Try putting up with all this $hit because that's what your boss taught these morons was acceptable!

PoolChick02
07-06-2002, 12:30 AM
I hang out at some of the pool halls in my city and there are always versions of these players around. One pool hall I go to, (which is frequented by young people, around my age), has its occasional types. There is always the girl who doesn't know how to play, accompanied by her boyfriend who thinks he plays well, but actually doesn't. You can hear her telling him, "Wow babe, you play so good." Eventhough he has just missed a straight in shot, and the ball just so happened to fall in a pocket nowhere near where it was supposed to go. Also there is the group of people, that for some reason stand all around the table, with hands on the rail, watching every player's shot. Oh, and the ones I get all the time are the guys who ask "Why are playing alone, or even during matches will talk to you and not leave you alone. Then they say things like "I guess the game is more important to you" and walk away. &gt;Well, yeah the game is more important, I'm in the tournament right now.&lt; I also go to another pool hall with my dad to help him run his weekly tournaments. This place is cool and I always get my own table to practice on. Which is good cause I like to have more time to practice. However, even this place has its occasional player's quarrels about shots, tables, cloth, etc.

CarolNYC
07-06-2002, 03:30 AM
Oh my goodness! These stories are just incredible-hands on rails,taking balls off table,standing inline of shot,cigar ashes hanging,talking to you when your in a match,standing behind you,etc and so on........Im fortunate to say I have never encountered such disrespectful behavior and if I did, someone would definitely just "puttem in the bathroom!":)
Carol

Tom_In_Cincy
07-06-2002, 06:53 AM
I just thougth of another incident that was very distracting. It happens almost every Friday or Saturday nite.

Two couples (dates I assume) come in and the young ladies obviously haven't had much experience playing pool. The two young ladies are making sounds each time they miss or come close to making a ball. These sounds remind me of bedroom sounds.. Uhhh. aaaahhh.. oooohhh.. and from a young female... while I am trying to concentrate.. is very distracting.. although the reminder of "long ago" its not too distracting.. LOL

CarolNYC
07-06-2002, 07:00 AM
Tom,
Thats a helluva sharking technique-LMAO!
Carol

Tom_In_Cincy
07-06-2002, 07:04 AM
It worked on me... I couldn't do anything at all on the table.. except laugh.. my opponent (a very nice lady) was immune.. except for my laughing..and when I told her.. she lost it too.. We had to take a break and wait until the young couples left.. It was driving us mad.. with laughter..

07-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Sadly I have found that not very many players practice good pool etiquette - and it doesn't seem to matter what level they play at. I can easily forgive recreational players that don't know any better, and it's part of our job to educate them without insulting them. But to play a good player and have to put up with that crap really gets to me in a session. I try to use it as an added incentive / motivator to make sure and kick their butts!

Two of the things that bug me the most are the player that doesn't know where the seat is, and impatiently stands close to the table awaiting for me to miss. Also, the player that chooses to grab the chalk and take it with them to chalk their cue when they are exiting the table after missing and when I need that chalk. Even worse, the player that comes to the table to grab a piece and chalk up when it's still my table but maybe facing a tough shot - as they seem to be already anticipating my miss and getting ready to shoot.

Most pro player have great etiquette, but not all. I practice with one who displays the best etiquette at all times, but I've practiced with another who has a very bad habit of hitting balls on the next table while I'm shooting. I'm sorry, but even though I may not be a pro tour player if I'm playing a session against anyone I show them the utmost respect, and I expect the same in return. - Chris in NC

Vagabond
07-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Howdy,
Show me a pool room and I will show u at least dozen of that kind of people.Part of the blame should go to room owners.I do not think that the room looses buisiness if the owner expects decency from the customers.Cheers
Vagabond

07-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Voodoo...how about the house man who puts a bunch of non-players on the table next to you when most of the room is empty. That's happened to me plenty of times and I always get the same answer when I ask why he did it.

He says it's because the customers asked for that table. Uh...hello...sure they may have asked, but I'd betcha if he suggested an alternative they wouldn't mind. Nope. That would take another sentence and make his job a little more difficult.

Fran

rackmup
07-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Fran! I feel your pain!

I was the first (and only) player through the door of my favorite room here in Dallas this morning. The guy gives me the balls for my preferred table and I thank him. "Who you playin' this early, Ken?" he asks. "No one...just here to get in some practice drills" I tell him.

One hour later he puts a guy next to me that just slams the whitey at everything! To make it even worse, when the guy removes the balls from the pockets, he lobs them from about a foot in the air to the table. CRASH! BANG! CRASH! is all I heard all morning. With as many jumped cueballs as I dodged, I'm surprised I don't have a black eye.

I finally had to ask the banger..."Did my ex-wife send you here?" "What do you mean?" he replies.

"No one has irritated me this much since I was married to her and now here you are, making me wish I had her back!"

The attendant overheard me and moved the guy to the far back corner of the room. I tipped the attendant $10 when I left.

I guess it pays to be a vocal regular.

Regards,

Ken

Troy
07-06-2002, 08:09 PM
Having been a Pool Room Manager (34 tables, etc), I can honestly say that "real" Pool Players are NOT the people that keep the room open but the CASUAL "bangers" DO.

However, never, NEVER should the nearest table be used in an EMPTY ROOM. (Reference Fran's post and Rackmup's response) I reminded new counter people of this and was emphatic about it.

It also helps greatly if the room has a "players area" that is somewhat reserved for the more serious players. Not necessarily a separate room, but a separate area sure helps.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy,
Show me a pool room and I will show u at least dozen of that kind of people.Part of the blame should go to room owners.I do not think that the room looses buisiness if the owner expects decency from the customers.Cheers
Vagabond <hr></blockquote>

07-06-2002, 09:55 PM
I've been able to get in a couple practice sessions lately. Table 1 is next to the counter. They always leave balls on it and the lights on. The counter people often play on it at various times throughout the shifts. Sometimes the regulars play money matches on it.

The last two practice sessions I asked for table 2. No one was playing on 1. But I know the counter people will shoot at least a few racks every once in a while. I wanted table 2 because I was the first to pay in about 5 of the 6 tournaments I played in. And each of those 5 times I played my first and only match on table 2.

I overheard that table 1 &amp; 2 have the tightest pockets. The one day I didn't pay first I ended up playing my first 3 matches on different tables. And then I lost my 4th on table 2 to finish 3rd/4th. But my last couple practice sessions someone always ends up on table 3. And there are 24, 9' tables plus 1, 8' &amp; 1, 3 cushion table there. And I play duing the specials which is $10 from 2:00-8:00 am or $5 from 8:00 am-5:00 pm. So depending on the time there is usually only a total of 1, 2, 3, to maybe 5 or 6 tables being used. Before these last two practice sessions I would never think of taking a table next to someone. Why slow both them and myself down. Maybe I would be better off practicing on a different table. I don't think the counter people here even realize it can be inconvient having people play next to you when the place is almost empty. I've also noticed the better players always seem to want to play on these lower numbered tables when they play money games when eliminated from the tournament and the tournament is over.

07-06-2002, 10:47 PM
I asked Ken, but the good Doctor says she didn't send him! LOL

Nostroke
07-07-2002, 12:15 AM
I almost never believe a counterman when they say that. Its his only excuse of any kind that might be accepted so he has to use it.

If im practicing by myself, I will always quit immediately if they put anyone on the table next to me in an empty room. I then refuse the offer of a table switch. I guess im pretty stubborn to do this but i try to make my point so it doesn't happen again and it seems to work!

CarolNYC
07-07-2002, 03:34 AM
This I've seen!LMAO-at the Virginia State Championship, 4 players are playing on the two back tables-the room owner decides to put two men on the table directly behind them, (when there were tables available away from them)-well, the two men were "WHISTLING" very loudly as they were shooting, driving the girls nuts!The tour director was notified and the men were moved! Unbelievable-a state championship!
Carol~ashes from a cigar&amp;cracking gum would be annoying!

07-07-2002, 08:18 AM
During our local 9 ball tournaments I sometimes see 1 of the players go to one of the tables next to where they are playing. And they start shooting in some of the balls or practicing a shot or stroke, while their opponnet is shooting during the match. It seems like this should not be legal or permitted. It is usually the better players that I see do this on Mondays in the open handicap tournament. I'm talking about 8s 9s or 10s etc. I remember seeing Arturro do this and he is a 10. I never heard any of the shooting players complain or say anything about it.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-07-2002, 08:30 AM
Eddie,
This would not be allowed in any decent tournament. This is against the rules.

heater451
07-07-2002, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr>During our local 9 ball tournaments <hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Eddie,
This would not be allowed in any decent tournament. This is against the rules. <hr></blockquote>This may not be the case in a "local" tourney, but it's usually illegal in a more formal tournament.

07-07-2002, 08:55 AM
This may not be the case in a "local" tourney, but it's usually illegal in a more formal tournament.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;

The tournament goes by Texas rules. I'm not one to make waves or cause problems. But from the first time I saw that, it just seemed like it shouldn't be happening.

Basically there have been from about 22 to 28 players in all the tournaments. I think 32 is the limit. And the owner used to leave all the balls on all the tables so that players still left in the tournament could practice or keep warm when finished with a match and waiting for their next opponet. But many of these better players also started practicing on these tables for free once they were eliminated from the tournament. And some would play until a friend was elimianted. So if they lost their first match, they would sometimes practice for free for maybe the next 2 or 3 hours. I'm only talking about $10 entry fees on Thur for the 7 &amp; under, and $20 fees on Mon for the open handicap. And the owner adds $200 out of his pocket every Monday and about $25 for a hot shot pot on Thursdays.

Now the owner still always leaves balls on enough tables so players still alive can practice. But he also has one of the countermen collect balls from a couple tables at a time as the tournament progresses and the field gets smaller.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-07-2002, 09:08 AM
Heater451,
Local tournaments shouldn't be exempt from enforcing the rules or knowing them. Banging at a ball in frustration is still a distraction to the shooting player.

The non-shooting player that goes to another table and shoots balls is clearly breaking the rules. Its a distraction to the shooting player, plain and simple.

If a 'Local' tournament accepts this practice during a match, then they either don't know the rules, are too lazy to learn the rules, or they just don't want to say anything to the players breaking the rule, or just don't care.

None of the above is good for the game. Texas Express Rules are readily available from the internet. http://www.texasexpress.com/main/rules.htm

LC3
07-07-2002, 01:57 PM
The tables are a little too close where I usually play, and many of the younger players like to park their butts on the rail of the table that's in their way and shoot from a sort of seated position. It's especially annoying when I'm down on a shot taking my practice strokes, and suddenly some guy's butt sets down right in my line of sight.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-08-2002, 06:25 AM
Quote: Fran
======================================
Voodoo...how about the house man who puts a bunch of non-players on the table next to you when most of the room is empty. That's happened to me plenty of times and I always get the same answer when I ask why he did it.

He says it's because the customers asked for that table. Uh...hello...sure they may have asked, but I'd betcha if he suggested an alternative they wouldn't mind. Nope. That would take another sentence and make his job a little more difficult.

Fran
============================================

I was practicing at the very back of the room once. With 14 other tables open the counterman puts 6 (SIX !) Mexicans on the table next to me. I went to the restroom and when I came back one of these guys was rolling balls around on my table, one of which rolled into my cue lying on the table.
------------
Before anybody gets offended let me clarify. I wouldn't want 6 people on the table next to me no matter if they were teenagers, old guys, young girls, old ladies, or aliens like Patrick. I just used the word "Mexicans" because that was who they were. Not bad, not good, just a fact.
--------------
I didn't even go back up front, I just picked up the balls and moved.

Doctor_D
07-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Good morning:

This has also taken place at numerous NEWT tournaments. Comet Billiards in Parsippany and Corner Billiards in NYC specifically.

Dr. D.

9 Ball Girl
07-08-2002, 09:36 AM
This really ticks me off: I have a friend that I shoot with. He's a really good player and I guess this is why I tolerate his shananigans. Anyway, we'll be in the middle of a game and after he shoots, he'll walk away to talk to the guys at the counter about some chick that just walked by or whatever. I'll put my cue down and wait for him to come back even after he tells me to keep shooting. Then I have to deal with his questions when he comes back, "Do I have ball in hand?", "What happened?", or my favorite "You ran it out?!" /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

heater451
07-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Does he do this, if you play him for cash?

It looks like a money-making opportunity--or, at least a way to teach him a lesson! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-08-2002, 11:15 AM
Yes. He even does this when we play for cash. As a matter of fact, we were playing for cash one night and he actually walked out of the pool hall to talk to a girl!

9 Ball Girl
07-08-2002, 11:41 AM
I've also seen the following:

1. My friend broke his Predator Cue because the "rolls" weren't with him that night (I can feel Harold smiling /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif)

2. Another friend got pi$$ed off one night and threw his cue across the pool room like it was the javelin throw! Damn near stabbed an innocent ball banger!

3. The house instructor once yelled at this guy for chewing too loudly. (The guy was standing about 20 feet away and he was eating a donut!)

4. Another friend was playing a $$$ game. He had already gotten into an argument with the person who was putting the $$$ up for his opponent. He got down on his shot which happened to be facing me, and then he told me that I had to move away from his line of shot. I was 4 tables away from his table!

Yes, these are my friends.

07-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Wow Wendy! Are you sure you don't need new friends?! LOL

Rod
07-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Voodoo, their in every pool room! I don't know what people from Pluto look like, very cold lol/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif, but I've seen that look. Ditto on your comments. Just when I think I've seen it all, some other club ass proves me wrong!

07-09-2002, 03:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I have been playing in the same room now for almost 10 years. I spend time with some younger adults that really want to learn this great game. One thing I preach is when your not shooting, sit in the chair and be quiet. Not walk around the table, grab chalk off the table while the other player is at the table, yell across the room at their buddy to play a certain "Lil Bow Wow" song on the CD box. Those that do that cant be reached nor do they have the desire to be. The people I will talk about are the adults that "think" they play in our room.

The one guy walks around with his nose in the air at all of us, he has a very bad attitude. He forever breaks some unwritten rules at the table. When a person is playing behind him, he nevers gives way or when he does he stands right behind that player somewhat frustrated that HE has to wait. I mentioned to him it wasnt polite to stand there and the right thing to do is walk away from the table away from the shooters line of sight, he looked at me like I was from Pluto. The other man refuses to look behind him while he wanders around the felt pulpit and is always whacking the person behind him with his cue. He is an older man and has a similar attitude, I tried to explain the facts to him but he doesnt want to hear it either.

These men truely believe they know what they are doing but are clearly clueless. My question of the week is; Not that where they are from matters {because it doesnt} but do you have versions of these players in your pool room? Tell me your story...

Voodoo <hr></blockquote>

We have a great guy that comes into the tournaments, loses, and then starts yelling (and this is EVERY time, not just once in a while) about how bar pool sucks, the felt isn't right, the table isn't level, he'll gamble with anyone, noone in a bar could beat him except in luck, he "just can't play here", the lighting is bad, the floor has ciggarette holes, the fan is blowing too hard across the room, it's too cold, or hot, etc, etc..

The really funny thing is, if you play him down the street at the pool hall with the 9-footers, where he says noone can beat him, he starts saying the same crap after you win. Sometimes he kicks the tables, breaks his cues, and throws them on the roof.. It's great entertainment. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2002, 08:52 AM
Ya think? /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

07-09-2002, 09:09 AM
Here's an interesting one that happened in my local room, A regular with a temper was doing some gambling and lost after pooching out. At this point he calmly approached the owner of the room who was standing behind the counter and asked, " Hey, how much for one of these rack cues?" The room owner replied that they were $10 each, at which point the player threw a $100 bill on the counter and said, "Good, I'll take ten of em!" He then calmly walked to the rack on the wall and took down ten cues one at a time, snapped each of them in half and walked out of the room without so much as a word to anyone.

9 Ball Girl
07-09-2002, 09:11 AM
He forgot to pay the shipping and handling!

Nostroke
07-09-2002, 10:22 AM
No one has mentioned one of my favorites

The TWIRLY BIRD!!

Its always a pleasure to shoot the nine with some moron at the next table twirling a cue a hundred miles an hour in your site line.

Recently a guy doing this to me dropped the cue (Hardwood Floors) and I'm thinking he must be embarrassed now and will surely stop. No fans, he dropped it 2 more times in the next 5 seconds for everyone's pleasure.