PDA

View Full Version : Clay balls.

cushioncrawler
04-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Some threads mention that clay balls were used years ago -- that these were hard and heavy -- that draw was difficult -- that they gave a friendly break (sometimes dropping all 9 balls on the break) -- that they sometimes chipped.

But, i thought that all balls had a % of filler, usually clay, even modern balls. Was the % of clay filler more in WW2 or something?? Why were these balls called clay balls??? Aramith say that their balls are "pure" phenolic resin -- what?? no filler???

Sid_Vicious
04-09-2006, 05:39 AM
I wasn't under the impression that any clay was ever used in today's biliard balls, but there may be an exception in a specialty type I'm not aware of. Frankly I've only been personally aware of playing this sport with two types, ivory and phenolic resin. It'll be interesting seeing what the more tenured players have to add to this topic...sid

Deeman3
04-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Yes, Composition clay balls did chip and were a little resistant to draw in some cases. However, I don't remember them being so "break friendly" as to allow all nine balls to be pocketed. You may be thinking of gigantic pockets which also were around back in the day. Many who think they remember ivory balls are thinking of clay. Ivory was used a long time ago and only in 3 cushion sets in particular within the last 75 years or so. These are a couple of good stories about balls breaking in half in Winning One Pocket.

I have a partial set of clay balls and I het a few of them every once in a while. It's not something most people look back fondly on. Today's balls are the best, I think. I am also not aware that modern balls have any clay content.

Deeman
no balls of clay /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
04-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Cushioncrawler I think you have the reaction wrong on the balls, you could draw the length of the table with ease it was harder to follow.. The fellow that I knew who put all nineballs in on the break would have put more nineballs in on the break with the new balls.

I racked balls for him for 3 hours and his highest ball count was 6 balls on the break and he hadn't played in 5 years. Where his breaking power came from could have been the 8th Wonder of the World. Slight of build,no violent body movement but when he hit the balls it was as if a bomb went off.
Google John Wesley Hyatt inventor.Founder of Albany Billiard Ball.####

DickLeonard
04-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Deeman what balls are you missing?I will check my extras.####