PDA

View Full Version : Draw stall

ryushen21
04-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Ok, i was noticing this the other night when i was shooting. I was shooting on an eight foot table with slower cloth and on my draw shots, the CB would spin in place for a second and then come back but with less speed. I originally attributed this to the cloth.

Not too long after that i moved over to one of the nine foot tables with simonis. I was faced with a very similar shot again and had the same results. I hit a draw shot from about a foot and a half away, after contact with the OB, the CB spun in place for about a second and then came back but at slower speed than it should have been.

So heres my question, is this a fluke that occurs every so often due to something in the cloth or is it because of my stroke? If this is something that is happening due to my stroke then i would like to fix it.

Jal
04-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Apparently, it appeared to take longer to start its backward motion? Unless it was in some sort of depression, this would indicate less friction. If so, this shouldn't affect the amount of speed the ball picks up on the way back. This is independent of the cloth's friction.

However, the distance it travels back is not. With less friction, it should end up drawing back farther, in fact.

One possibility is that the balls were not well matched in weight and you hit harder and higher on this particular shot rather than lower and slower for the same (anticipated) draw action. Differences in weight and subsequent ball behavior are amplified when using less tip offset and compensating with more stick speed.

Another is that skid occured - some chalk happened to be at the contact point - and more spin was removed than usual. But this shouldn't cause any more of a noticeable "delay".

Jim

ryushen21
04-09-2006, 10:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> Apparently, it appeared to take longer to start its backward motion?
<hr /></blockquote>

It wasn't a matter of appearance. I use the "measles" cue ball whenever i play explicitly for the purpose of seeing how my shot's spin plays out. But yes, the CB, after contact with the OB, stayed at the point of contact, spun for approx. 1 sec, and then began it's backward motion.

I know my stroke pretty well, and in concerns to draw i shoot my draw drills at least once a week. This was a foot and a half away with two tips low, medium stroke. This should have produced sufficient draw for the shot that i needed.

Now normally i would shrug this off to slow cloth but since it happened on two tables that is why i was wondering if maybe there was something that i could have faulted on in my stroke delivery.

Rod
04-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Well don't be in to big of a hurry to fix your stroke. You stumbled on to a shot that could be in your bag of tricks.

Most likely you hit it fairly firm but not with a lot of low and most likley with an elevated butt. When this happens the c/b makes a minor hop so the draw is delayed. Not only that but if there isn't a lot of draw on the shot the slight c/b bounce kills part of the draw, hence a slower drawing c/b.

I call it delayed draw and it can be very handy. Here is an example. START(
%A[4\4%BB8[8%CB5[9%DB9[9%EL7J2%FB7[9%Gq6O6%HO4J4%IF2O3%PU2P6
%Qi1Y5%Sj6G5%bh9Y5%cQ8I1%dM6J9
)END

I've drawn these anywhere between A &amp; C to play position. Elevated cue, then depending on how low and how hard dictates the angle it comes back. It's really not a real noticeable hop, just enough to skip over and clear the 8. When it's done real smooth you hardly notice it happens. There is also a delayed follow, good for changing the angle the c/b leaves at as well.

As for your stroke, low and smooth = no delay.

Rod

Jal
04-10-2006, 06:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr>...It wasn't a matter of appearance. I use the "measles" cue ball whenever i play explicitly for the purpose of seeing how my shot's spin plays out. But yes, the CB, after contact with the OB, stayed at the point of contact, spun for approx. 1 sec, and then began it's backward motion...<hr /></blockquote>I think Rod's answer is the correct one (interesting technique too). Otherwise it's hard to explain both the delay and the diminished draw.

Jim

Bob_Jewett
04-20-2006, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr>... on my draw shots, the CB would spin in place for a second and then come back but with less speed. I originally attributed this to the cloth.
... <hr /></blockquote>
This will happen if the cue ball is heavier than the object balls. You said later that you use your own cue ball. It is probably the right size. The object balls are almost certainly worn down. That makes them lighter. This is similar to what bar table players face with the large cue balls.