PDA

View Full Version : Black Dot........or not.

Breaker
04-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi all

I've decided to purchase a Viking f90 cue and came arcoss the video for the Black dot shaft.This video has me hung on maybe buying a mucci PPAC-4 instead.

I really like the Viking tho and thought maybe buying a black dot for it.

What is the word or your opinion on the black dot,and should I go ahead and get the Viking/and black dot or just settle for the Mucci?

All help is appreciated.

Here's the video if you would like to see it but be warned its about 40 min's long.

http://www.billiard-deals.com/videos/Meucci%20Black%20Dot%20-%20Entire%20Video%20-%202006.wmv

Wolven
04-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Meucci was my first choice but Iím glad I went another way. Meucci cues tend to fall apart. The service is non existent. Black dots warp. My friend ordered Black Dot from an internet store. After 2 months of waiting they told him that the shaft they ordered from Meucci was in such bad condition they could not give it to him. He ended up with a Z-shaft. Another interesting shaft on the net is OB-1 which is as good as 314.

Breaker
04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Wolven.

Any opinion on the Viking?and what brand sold you over?

BLACK DOT-0 YES....... 1-NO

Wolven
04-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Played with Viking F02 for few minutes but it had 314 shaft so no opinion there. I bought a P2 and 4K, P2 seems better. I'm sure there are other cues just as good. My new order of preference is Z, OB-1, 314. But z-shaft is very hard to get used to.
Other interesting shafts I have not used are:
Annie-0 in both euro and pro taper.
American Cowboy Billiards same.
Tiger-x.

If Meucci would return to the old quality standards I would buy their cue as they look nice in the pictures.

Bumps
04-10-2006, 06:51 AM
I bought a Meucci with a Black Dot shaft just to compare it to the predator shaft. The Black Dot was a LOT easier for me to play with than the predator. When I hit a predator, it feels like the shaft is going to compress, is the only way I can describe it. Hated it. I sold the Meucci because it didn't play any better with the laminated shaft than the custom cues I had at the time. I haven't had any experience yet with the other laminated shaft, I think it's the OB?? Mike Gulyassy told me that he thinks laminated shafts will be the way to go over time.

Rich R.
04-10-2006, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> Mike Gulyassy told me that he thinks laminated shafts will be the way to go over time. <hr /></blockquote>
I have heard the same from others and the reason is the lack of high quality shaft wood.

underdog
04-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I have never shot with a Black Dot, but I know from experience and talking to players with a lot more knowledge than me that deflection is not such a bad thing. You just have to compensate for it. I had a Quest cue that I use to love. I had the shaft shaved down to 11mm and after that, it had no deflection at all, but it didn't "deliver" like a normal diameter cue. I play with a Pechauer now and it plays wonderfully. It does deflect some but the delivery is superb. This is just my opinion though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ryushen21
04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
I would definitely not go with the meucci for all the reasons already said and a few more. If you like the viking then go with it although it would not be my choice. For the money you could easily get a better quality cue.

As far as shaft preferences....i love the OB-1 and will have my own at the end of the month. After that i would go with the predator 314. there are a few others out there that are worth mentioning. The Annie O shoots well but can be pretty unforgiving. The tiger shaft was a bit too stiff for me.

But in any case, the black dot is not the way to go. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.