PDA

View Full Version : Cue in Hot Car

tdurden87
04-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Just wondering how much the heat can effect a cue in its case if you leave it in a hot car. Anybodyhave this happen to them before?

AndreaWilson
04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif This happened to a team mate of mine. He left his cue in the case in the trunk of his car in Kamloops, BC's 95 degrees F sun. The clearcoat off his cue liquified and partially transferred itself to the lining in his case. What a mess! He had to have the finish redone. The cue ended up with a very minor warp as well. Not something I would do, but, to each his own.

DickLeonard
04-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Tdurden87. I have posted before I left my cue in my car for years. Winter and Summer, left my hatchback opened and my CB was stolen but they left my cue. I only had one shaft slightly bent and it took a few weeks of hanging to straighten it out. Of course my cue was a Palmer.####

Vagabond
04-12-2006, 05:05 AM
depends upon the cue.If it is a Budweiser cue it will defrost and the carpet in the trunk will get wet from the meltdown.
seriously ,it depends on how the cue is made and what kind of materials used.I have been subjecting my cues for many years to harsh weather-both heat and cold and nothing ever happened to them.

Sid_Vicious
04-12-2006, 05:52 AM
I'd ponder whether the humidiy factors plus heat would be the worst thing. Some parts of the country is drier, some really humid. I personally do as little extreme climate swings on my cues as I possibly can without being anal about it...sid

Vagabond
04-12-2006, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'd ponder whether the humidiy factors plus heat would be the worst thing. Some parts of the country is drier, some really humid. I personally do as little extreme climate swings on my cues as I possibly can without being anal about it...sid <hr /></blockquote>

I lived on Gulf coast in Mississippi which is known for high humidity.I left my cue in the trunk day and night except when I was playing it ( cue made by Jerry Olivier).Nothing happened to my cue.I lived in Jacksonville,FL.I had cue called Mariposa and it was not damaged inspite I left in the trunk for 24 hours exxcept when I was playing with it.

CaptainHook
04-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey tdurdin87 long time no talk.

I keep a cheapo Halex cue in the car. I bought it at Wal-Mart for 30 bucks. It is a Titanium. I had Wayne Ball over at Robertsons put a LePro tip on it, and for a cheapo it shoots pretty good. It is going into it's third summer
of being "Car Cue" LOL. It has not had any warpage.
It hits pretty good, has a SS joint and it is great for those lunch breaks or after work pool games. Beats Off the Wall and day of the week.

Lets get together and shoot some. I will show it to you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"CH"

theinel
04-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I live in Florida and I try never to leave my cues in my car but it happens from time to time and I have never noticed any problems. I have a friend who uses a production Joss who stores his cue permanently in his car except for when he's shooting with it and it has stayed straight for the three or four years he's had it. It may be a matter of luck or a combination of brand, materials, case, etc but I'm guessing that results vary greatly from cue to cue.

walt8880
04-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I would think those who leave cues in a hot car for extended periods with no effect have been very fortunate.

I cannot imagine any positive result from this practice other than convenience.

CaptainHook
04-17-2006, 06:27 AM
If it is in the trunk out of direct sunlight that would be better. When left in the back seat or hatch area, the heat is worse due to the greenhouse effect.

rocky
04-19-2006, 07:22 AM
The problem with temperature change and moisture exposure is;
-Changes in temp. is going to make the wood swell and contract. If there is any chance that the wood is going to move, this is the time that it will happen (warp). This will also affect the finish of your cue. The swelling can cause the rings to swell and pop through the finish and the inlays to raise. exposure to moisture can also have the same affect, warping, bumps in your wrap, dulling finish.

John_Madden
04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I have gone to the pool room in Phoenix. Seen more than one of the cues I have built sitting on the dash in the parking lot. Outside temperature in excess of 110 degrees so you can imagine the temperature inside a locked car, with the sun glaring down on the dash in the city where the low temp in August is in the 90s. Personally, I would take the cue in with me.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)