PDA

View Full Version : Question: Why do so few users of this board reply?

BillPorter
04-14-2006, 11:35 AM
A few days ago I started the following thread:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=223109&page =0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

As of right now, there have been 283 views of this post. How many replies? THREE! And two of those three are my own replies!!! Billy_Bob, I have to thank you for replying to this post!

Now really, if someone were to ask me how many replies I would expect given that there were almost 300 views, I'd say there would be 3-4 at the very least. Even if the replies were something like, "Wow, that's the dumbest website I've ever seen!" Or, "Wow, you are really old to have done that stuff back in 1980." Or, whatever....But just one reply (other than my own) from almost 300 views? Guess I just don't understand the concept behind the forum.

For anyone who has read to here....thanks for listening to me rant!

Regards,

Leviathan
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
'Lo, Bill: I read and enjoyed the Paul Huebler soundbite highlights a couple of days ago. I'll probably check out the other highlights this weekend. Appreciate your making these items available.--AS

Rich R.
04-14-2006, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr>Guess I just don't understand the concept behind the forum.<hr /></blockquote>
My concept of the forums is that someone asks a question or asks for some type of information and others reply.

Your thread only asked people to look at the other web site. It didn't ask for opinions or responses. People may or may not have looked, but no response was required by your thread.

On the other hand, maybe everyone is just being polite.
Momma said, "If you can't say something nice, don't........" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kevinkins
04-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I am new here but people got back to my posts very quickly. Forums are useful on the internet and cover very imagined topic. Pool players are thinkers and they will not waste time if the thread needs no further elaboration - if they agree with the initial responses. Thats why so many views.

BillPorter
04-14-2006, 05:03 PM
I guess you may be correct....maybe 280 people took a look and out of politeness made no critical remarks. Have to feel pretty good that there are so many polite people on the board!

Cheers!

TimFXF
04-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Bill... count your blessings. Having been online since there was an "online", I'd say that this is a good group. If someone here has something to say, they generally say it. If not... Well - they let it go. Bravo!

I have been on too many forums where no post goes un-flamed. In fact it's rather civil here. Go figure.

BillPorter
04-15-2006, 04:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TimFXF:</font><hr> Bill... count your blessings. Having been online since there was an "online", I'd say that this is a good group. If someone here has something to say, they generally say it. If not... Well - they let it go. Bravo!

I have been on too many forums where no post goes un-flamed. In fact it's rather civil here. Go figure. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for a reasoned and civil reply! You're right, the group over here is pretty well-mannered. I'll admit, it's no fun being on forums where bashing each other is the main thing going on.

I used to post over here all the time, but lately I've been spending more time at AZ Billiards. Seems like it may be a generally older group over there? Anyway, I apologize to anyone offended by my earlier remarks and wish all of you a happy and spiritually fulfilling Easter!

Snapshot9
04-15-2006, 05:26 AM
This board is okay, but rather boring. Why? Because you can check it once a week and there may be one new thread, or one or two replies to previous threads. Bob (Cane), where have you been? ... lol I also think that the software format for the board also affects participation, and this one is okay, but not really good. Functionality is very basic and somewhat limited in what you can do. I enjoy it, but it doesn't 'draw' me to it very much.

BillPorter
04-15-2006, 06:38 AM
Maybe it's just that there are fewer people on this forum at most times as compared to AZ. Over 50 on the board over there right now as compared to three (I'm one!) on here right now. So, as you said, you can wait a while and check in over here and not miss much. Sort of a Catch-22, not enough new posts here to draw posters and without posters, no new posts.

Cane
04-15-2006, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Bob (Cane), where have you been? ... lol <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Been hiding out, Scott... Better now, can come out in the open. Actually, been negotiating with the infernal revenue service to get them off my back. They've kept me too broke to pay attention! LOL

Bill, nice site, and since the IRS is out of my bank account now, I might have the money to buy one of the CD's. As someone said, usually the posting of a commercial based site on here is frowned on, but I think this one is DEFINITELY pool related and the product worth buying, especially for those of us who want to hear what was on the minds of players back in OUR hay day.

Later,
Bob (not being quiet anymore!!!)

PS: uh... I didn't make the above statement to help Bill out... never met him, never talked to him, couldn't pick him out of a crowd of two. Although most of my play was in the era that his interviews are in, I was a 2 bit bar hustler in those days and didn't hang in the same crowds as those guys... matter of fact, I was smart enough to AVOID where those guys hung out! I liked my little nickle and dime games in roadside bars and didn't ever want to take it to the level of "those guys".

Rich R.
04-15-2006, 06:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> but lately I've been spending more time at AZ Billiards. Seems like it may be a generally older group over there? <hr /></blockquote>
Bill, I seem to get the opposite feeling. I think, in general, AZB has a younger crowd. It is the younger people who feel the need to flame more often. JMHO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Snyder1
04-19-2006, 04:23 AM
I've only been playing pool for 3 years ... in more of a "learning" than "contributing" frame of mind.

JS

BillPorter
04-19-2006, 04:30 AM
JS, I understand what you are saying. I remember that when I first found this board, several years ago, I just read posts for a while before ever posting anything myself. Anyway, thanks for your reply! I hope you feel free to post questions or comments about anything pool-related. You may enjoy the board even more if you become an active contributor.

nAz
04-19-2006, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> I also think that the software format for the board also affects participation, and this one is okay, but not really good. Functionality is very basic and somewhat limited in what you can do. <hr /></blockquote>

I been saying the same thing for over a year now!

One thing about this site when you do get a reply it usually a good one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
I just assumed, like me, y'all learned all there was about pool by now...sid ;-)

Nostroke
04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
HEy Bill- i dont know but thanks for posting as i ordered the CD- I mean what the heck-$20 delivered. Hard to go wrong.

HALHOULE
01-31-2007, 12:16 AM
BECAUSE THERE IS NO REAL HELP THERE. THE FORUM IS JAMMED PACKED WITH RANK AMATEURS AND FALSE INFORMATION.

jjinfla
01-31-2007, 05:30 AM
1) I didn't see the original post; 2) It is just an ad to sell your CD; 3) If people want to respond to you then they could do so on the link in your ad. 4) I am through spending money on any pool related items, in fact I am selling what I have one at a time on Ebay. I am finding that pool items are not exactly the hottest sellers.

I wonder if Mike would allow me to advertise my CD for free that I have on Ebay? Most likely I would be banned here too. Only a couple hours left anyway. Danny D's book on CD. He sure does paint a bleak picture of the characters in pool. Not exactly the type of people you would want your daughter to bring home. Hide the silverware.

Jake

hondo
01-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Bill,I never got many replies on here over the years
and when I asked why once, I got the same answer Rich R.
gave you.
Now, however, it seems that most of the knowledgable
posters have left this forum or died.
This forum seems mainly for newbies anymore. " Which
should I buy, a Meucci or a Cuetec?"

hondo
01-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Jake, why not sell your cd on here?
1. I don't think Mike ever looks at this forum.
2. Probably nobody would respond anyway.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> 1) I didn't see the original post; 2) It is just an ad to sell your CD; 3) If people want to respond to you then they could do so on the link in your ad. 4) I am through spending money on any pool related items, in fact I am selling what I have one at a time on Ebay. I am finding that pool items are not exactly the hottest sellers.

I wonder if Mike would allow me to advertise my CD for free that I have on Ebay? Most likely I would be banned here too. Only a couple hours left anyway. Danny D's book on CD. He sure does paint a bleak picture of the characters in pool. Not exactly the type of people you would want your daughter to bring home. Hide the silverware.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

bradb
01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Looks like you got your answers Bill, hope you read them all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Actually Bill's question is bigger than when the thread started. Basically if I were a new player/person visiting and reading the uneeded personal attacks these days here on this board, in both NPR and Pool related...I would be reluctant to post. This board is like the USA...it's still the best(gov\discussion board) but like the USA around the world, we've lost a lot of respect from our peers. You'll notice also that many legacy members from the CCB have quietened down on posts. Maybe they are talked out, and maybe they are non interested in the flavor of the politics, both in the npr and PR sections. IMPO, some people can't resist from dictating too much about pool theories, and it runs many people off from poking their heads up...sid

BLACKHEART
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I stopped replying to posts here, because I got tired of answering, for the 29th time, "What is the best cue for under $100", or "what is the best tip". These are subjects that are important to new players, but if they do a serch, they'll find the answers. Basically I visit here daily, but find it boring...JER

Deeman3
01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Sid,

You and I agree on this (Strange). I think many knowledgable people just don't want to bother defending a physics problem in their answers. I have often thought, if Dick tells me to that rubbing bear grease on my tip will help my game, there's gonna be a dead bear out there somewhere.

I don't mean to knock the physics nuts out there and there is ceertainly an interest in some of their comments but most are looking for more practical application knowledge, not a quadratic equation. I sometimes tell people things to do that are not based in science but I know what they can achieve if they "try" the thing I suggest, much like accellerating through the ball. Maybe a physical impossibility but a word cue or ploy to get the action I want to see. Now, if John P.H.D. wants to bog me and them down in science, I look like an idiot when I perfectly well know the real science but don't want the hassle of explaining my purpose. Dick gave me some great info off line that I will always value, but should a man of his skill, knowledge and accomplishments have to defend the way he says it in a public forum. It can become pearls before swine. You guys listen to a PHD, I'll take the 100 ball plus guy anyday.

DeeMan
Some have forgotten more than most of us will ever know....

Qtec
01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't think we can blame the Techies /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif for the lack of posting. I must confess that although the maths is meaningless to me, I still read them those threads! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is a question.
Lets say a player can shoot a 1/2 ball shot, 50 times, with 100% success. The player lines them up as 1/2b shots, shoots them as 1/2 ball shots and is totally convinced he is hitting 1/2 ball.
What if he isn't hitting 1/2 ball, but he just thinks he is?
Should someone tell him?

Qtec /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DickLeonard
02-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Hal Houle not completely.####

DickLeonard
02-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Hondo I have been on this board from the beginning, when I started it was on post 490 something and we changed to the new format at 150,000 + posts. If you check my post I signed on in 2004 not new by any standards. I am probably on my third lost idendity. Each time that happens I lose all my stored mail sent and received. That part I find most offensive, to my minds diminishing capacity to remember old stories remembered because of just one question asked and answered. People talked of me writing a book but most of it is floating in Cyber Space.

How many times can I answer the same question with the same enthusiam as in the beginning. Now if the board was user friendly as Naz wishes all I would have to do is take a former post that applies and insert.

I take any question about a cue as a veiled ad for that cue maker. Does anyone remember Blackheart he was posting years before I ever knew he made cues in fact he was so secretive he could have worked for the CIA.####

BillPorter
02-01-2007, 07:49 AM
bradb,

Yes, I read every single one of them. Sort of amazing that this old thread re-surfaced after so many months. The recent posts, from the last few days, pretty well explain the lack of responses to the original post and echo my sentiments regarding the current state of affairs on CCB. BTW, thanks for your response!

Shaft
02-01-2007, 08:28 AM
There are students and there are teachers.

There are those that have stopped being a student ('cuz the know it all? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but are not inclined to teach.

That's ok.

If the old hands have a "high-level" question to ask or answer, have at it.

Otherwise, be happy for the newer players. I wonder if this game is getting more or less popular. My son, with the competition offered by video games, is not nearly as intersted in our family table as I would have been at his age.

bradb
02-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah I tried to get my boy interested but kids have electronic intertainment as their focus these days and its getting worse.

I enjoy reading this post, there are players all over the map here and its interesting to hear thier views. When I read a question from a new person to pool I try to throw my humble 2 cents in as I don't want anybody to start out with the bad habits I had to correct over the years. And I've learned a lot of useful things here too. The techies versus old time pool rats like me make for intertaining dialogue, its all part of the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BLACKHEART
02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Dick stop spreading rumors that I worked under cover. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I never advertised, because I'm lazy &amp; have all of the orders I can handle...JER
P.S."the rumors of my demize, were greatly exagerated".

DickLeonard
02-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Blackheart was it cover or covers?####

Sig
02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> I also think that the software format for the board also affects participation, and this one is okay, but not really good. Functionality is very basic and somewhat limited in what you can do. <hr /></blockquote>

This is a problem, there is no user control panel where you can subscribe to threads, you can't even click on the last reply in a thread (except in the main index page for some reason). I don't know why a relatively high traffic forum wouldn't upgrade the software. Compare the software on AZBilliards.

cushioncrawler
02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> ...Here is a question. Lets say a player can shoot a 1/2 ball shot, 50 times, with 100% success. The player lines them up as 1/2b shots, shoots them as 1/2 ball shots and is totally convinced he is hitting 1/2 ball.
What if he isn't hitting 1/2 ball, but he just thinks he is? Should someone tell him?... <hr /></blockquote> No, of course they shoodnt tell him. Unless of course the player's "error" has some sort of bearing on some sort of tekky arguement. I reckon that me, myself, i have my own picture of what a halfball contact is, and my own vizion of where i think i am aiming a cue (and hence qball), and my own illusion of where the qtip iz going to contact the qball, and my own "perfikt" stroke, and all 4 are incorrect, and the object ball nonetheless duznt touch the sides. Koz, in billiardz, for everyone, 4 wrongz make a correct. And, if someone thinks that they will definitely improov someone's billiards by pointing out that one of their 4 wrongz is wrong, then they are wrong. And all of this applyz even more-so to full-ball shots, not just halfball etc. But, having said that, i reckon that if everyone knew what their wrongs were, then that wouldnt necessaryly be wrong. But a "teacher" shoodnt think that they have "now fixed that" and "now lets fix the other things". madMac.

JimS
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Bill.. I didn't answer because I didn't see the thread while it was on the first page. Tonight when I clicked on the link to that thread I came close to not clicking on the link to the tape. I was a little short on time and I wasn't heavily invested in going there but something made me do it anyway.. just to see what you were sort of but not really hawking /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Had I seen the thread it's first time around I might not have taken the time to click the all important link to your audio tape. I'm thinking that many of those who viewed the thread but didn't say anything about just didn't take the time to check out your site.

But...I'm glad I did. I liked the few pics I saw, Mike at the table, Buddy at the mic, and I put the site in my favorites so I could go back to see what else is there under the players names on the left.